Intentional Triggering

zhouj

Harvester
Yes it's a little douchey, but so what, it's a war game, man up and move on :p

Hahaha <3 Ogluk

Let's see what the creator of the game, who designed the mechanics of AR and what it is designed for thinks...

Portal update on AR triggering: "This system should only start to cause problems for groups of players intentionally abusing the way the AR system works."

Even if you don't agree to the higher premise of objective morality, if you play this game you should respect the design of it's almighty creator Azzer :D If he thinks AR triggering is an abuse of the system I can't really argue against him, it's his game afterall.

Stop abusing the system y'all :p

That was completely in reference to the solos sitting in an IRC room posting their incoming and then someone triggering so they'd never get landed that. ;)

Completely different level.

avash

Harvester
TBH I all think we should be laughing at the guy who attemped to piggy zhouj but instead sent all his geos one tick early......quite impressive....

And max you quoted that COMPLETELY out of context. As zhouj said that was a group triggering each other to survive. Technically triggering on rival allies is a perfectly legitimate but pretty douchy tactic.

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
Its no different to building walls round other people's Gold on Age of Empires :p

Won't win you any friends, but it works :p

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
TBH I all think we should be laughing at the guy who attemped to piggy zhouj but instead sent all his geos one tick early......quite impressive....

And max you quoted that COMPLETELY out of context. As zhouj said that was a group triggering each other to survive. Technically triggering on rival allies is a perfectly legitimate but pretty douchy tactic.

Legitimate?
It's just plain douchy. Let's play the Triggering game! :)

We all spy each other, when someone sends to a solo, someone sends a large mob to trigger then we LOL and recall. Zhouj had the first turn...who's next? :)

Max

Garden Designer

If you read Azzer's original forum post on AR triggering from the "Design Directions, Concepts and Ideas" you'll see there's no specific reference to solos. He just says that a system is needed to prevent AR triggering. The update was a response to this that focussed on AR triggering solos because that was a pressing issue at the time, but his opinion is not limited to these events.

Zhouj said:

Really? So now you are using an objective level which you consider some cheating/douchy gameplay acceptable and some not? Because personally to me, AR triggering is just as bad if it's solos on eachother or part of alliance war games :p It exploits the game mechanic for intentions other than it was designed for.

I know at the end of the day nothing is going to be done about it, I just wish we could stamp out bad practices and all play as good sports :D Would make everyone's lives that little bit happier :D

zhouj

Harvester

If you read Azzer's original forum post on AR triggering from the "Design Directions, Concepts and Ideas" you'll see there's no specific reference to solos. He just says that a system is needed to prevent AR triggering. The update was a response to this that focussed on AR triggering solos because that was a pressing issue at the time, but his opinion is not limited to these events.

Zhouj said:

Really? So now you are using an objective level which you consider some cheating/douchy gameplay acceptable and some not? Because personally to me, AR triggering is just as bad if it's solos on eachother or part of alliance war games :p It exploits the game mechanic for intentions other than it was designed for.

I know at the end of the day nothing is going to be done about it, I just wish we could stamp out bad practices and all play as good sports :D Would make everyone's lives that little bit happier :D

Yes, it's simple. For the sake of this discussion, let's say intentional triggering is bad. Me doing it is bad; solos doing it is bad.

Incremental to this when the solos were doing was it was implicit mutual attacking, which is strictly against the rules. They benefited directly from the arrangement, much like troop trading and people intentionally sending to bribes.

Hence, since you would agree that the second element is bad, QED.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
welllllll, i kinda do trigger before spies are out as i flyover lots before sending to bots for example. i see someone sent 1-2 tick(s) before me, but i still send. i check behind me every tick and if someone else sent 1-2 tick(s) behind me, i recall my attack. but once spies are out, i know the IDs who are going to trigger. so, what i do is mail them and let them know they are going to trigger on me and ask politely to recall and resend. IF they ignore my request, then, i qualify them as douchebags and i'll have an objective of killing/stealing them. :X i just work that way without really making a scandal about being triggered. it is annoying and i get mad about it, though (and those who i talk to on irc, proabbly get my angry shouting XD). but it's also a game in which certains of you play to get 'more' lands than others. so, it may be a tactic whether it's douchy or not. people have their ways to play. i criticise, mock, disrespect some of them, buttttt in the end, it's me to deal with those people too and think about what to do. (revenge is the sweetest thing to do, it seems, though! :p)

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
welllllll, i kinda do trigger before spies are out as i flyover lots before sending to bots for example. i see someone sent 1-2 tick(s) before me, but i still send. i check behind me every tick and if someone else sent 1-2 tick(s) behind me, i recall my attack. but once spies are out, i know the IDs who are going to trigger. so, what i do is mail them and let them know they are going to trigger on me and ask politely to recall and resend. IF they ignore my request, then, i qualify them as douchebags and i'll have an objective of killing/stealing them. :X i just work that way without really making a scandal about being triggered. it is annoying and i get mad about it, though (and those who i talk to on irc, proabbly get my angry shouting XD). but it's also a game in which certains of you play to get 'more' lands than others. so, it may be a tactic whether it's douchy or not. people have their ways to play. i criticise, mock, disrespect some of them, buttttt in the end, it's me to deal with those people too and think about what to do. (revenge is the sweetest thing to do, it seems, though! :p)

^^this, spot on.

Davs

Garden Designer
So much rage for such a stupid thing. I remember ages ago when Darryl did it to me by sending a hippy to arrive on the middle tick - leading to an ar recalc and me getting ruined by SAS. I thought it was bloody hilarious tbh. Just teaches you to spy every tick, not just AF3.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
105,885,053 staff incoming from Hamilton eta 3. Attacking. (sent ETA 4 (2+2))
261,766,318 staff here from Frenchy Noob. Attacking for 3 ticks. (sent ETA 2)
193,000,000 staff here from God. Attacking for 3 ticks. (sent ETA 7 (5+2))
229,291 staff here from Village Idiot. Attacking for 2 ticks. (sent ETA 5)

Nice triggering attempt...three ticks behind.
Good work Frenchy.
Piggying a tick ahead.

LMAO.

The hilarious and incredibly amusing part is that in three attempts to piggy and trigger, two of them...absolutely failed. Good job FL recruiting the best and brightest.

I don't remember sending at anyone with that mob.. I believe you have mistaken someone else for me. Your 229,291 mob is kind of pathetic though.. You should probably try to get some troops.

On a real note - you have absolutely NO room to talk about triggering. You purposefully did it to another person for no other reason than to be a dick. Round about is fair play, stop being a little *****.

Yeah, your godly abilities are constantly on show during your Bushtarion playing. lol.

Round is about fair play? Right. Chivalry isn't dead and all that jazz, right? Well, all's fair in love and war and last I checked, we're at war!

I never said triggering was bad or unfair or whatever word you wish to use here. I simply said you have no room to talk and to stop being a little *****. I also said you were being a dick.

And yes, I am godly compared to some noob that has to resort to triggering on other folks attacks in order to beat them. It's not my fault your incapable of holding onto troops for more than a few days. Maybe you should learn to play.

zhouj

Harvester
105,885,053 staff incoming from Hamilton eta 3. Attacking. (sent ETA 4 (2+2))
261,766,318 staff here from Frenchy Noob. Attacking for 3 ticks. (sent ETA 2)
193,000,000 staff here from God. Attacking for 3 ticks. (sent ETA 7 (5+2))
229,291 staff here from Village Idiot. Attacking for 2 ticks. (sent ETA 5)

Nice triggering attempt...three ticks behind.
Good work Frenchy.
Piggying a tick ahead.

LMAO.

The hilarious and incredibly amusing part is that in three attempts to piggy and trigger, two of them...absolutely failed. Good job FL recruiting the best and brightest.

I don't remember sending at anyone with that mob.. I believe you have mistaken someone else for me. Your 229,291 mob is kind of pathetic though.. You should probably try to get some troops.

On a real note - you have absolutely NO room to talk about triggering. You purposefully did it to another person for no other reason than to be a dick. Round about is fair play, stop being a little *****.

Yeah, your godly abilities are constantly on show during your Bushtarion playing. lol.

Round is about fair play? Right. Chivalry isn't dead and all that jazz, right? Well, all's fair in love and war and last I checked, we're at war!

I never said triggering was bad or unfair or whatever word you wish to use here. I simply said you have no room to talk and to stop being a little *****. I also said you were being a dick.

And yes, I am godly compared to some noob that has to resort to triggering on other folks attacks in order to beat them. It's not my fault your incapable of holding onto troops for more than a few days. Maybe you should learn to play.

You guys did well defending and winning this round...

Oh wait. LOL.

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon

Oh wait. LOL.

You've got to be kidding.

Let me ask Leeroy quickly and ask him if we were supposed to be playing FTW. Idiot.
If we all wanted to beat you and win this round, we would have TRIED alot harder AGES ago. However, we wanted to play for a laugh, not put too much effort in, not give 2 ****s about dying. We have the same intentions as ANQ do (Although they've been battered). We can still put up some decent fights like we did today.

Get your facts right on this note before you put a sticker on our heads. You've won the round, but it took you enough time to do so unlike previous rounds.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Oh wait. LOL.

You've got to be kidding.

Let me ask Leeroy quickly and ask him if we were supposed to be playing FTW. Idiot.
If we all wanted to beat you and win this round, we would have TRIED alot harder AGES ago. However, we wanted to play for a laugh, not put too much effort in, not give 2 ****s about dying. We have the same intentions as ANQ do (Although they've been battered). We can still put up some decent fights like we did today.

Get your facts right on this note before you put a sticker on our heads. You've won the round, but it took you enough time to do so unlike previous rounds.

When defending the aim is still to be successful though? ;)

Dax

Hydroponics Developer

Oh wait. LOL.

...Have some respect.

QFT.

I think Leeroy and the guys knew what would come *eventually* - I think considering their lineup that I know about, they did a sterling job (as did ANQ despite being miniscule in size in comparison to us and the minor tech disadvantage).

Chivalry may be dead Zhouj, but there's no harm in trying to be humble about some things.#

EDIT (RELEVANT STUFF): Triggering is seriously lame of any kind, whether it can be considered a legitimate tactic or not - The playerbase has become too small to employ tactics of this nature. Had we a pageful of alliances and more competitiveness, I'd think differently - Perhaps.
I remember the solos (Twiglet again, anyone?) doing this a few rounds back before they all formed an alliance. Using an underhanded benefit of being solo, only to go to form the new rank 1 alliance - Lame in the ultimate.
You won't ever catch me doing it - Killing somebody who does it to you is far more satisfying than doing the exact same thing back.

jamesNchina

Tree Surgeon
Will everyone please refrain from calling Zhouj a complete di**, because in doing so you only inflate his already over inflated ego. In essence you are telling him he is successful, because his every breath is given to trying to be a di**.

Although it may be a rash assumption, I assume he is/does the same in RL and should therefor be given pity.. Poor Zhouj the friendless di**head

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Will everyone please refrain from calling Zhouj a complete di**, because in doing so you only inflate his already over inflated ego. In essence you are telling him he is successful, because his every breath is given to trying to be a di**.

Although it may be a rash assumption, I assume he is/does the same in RL and should therefor be given pity.. Poor Zhouj the friendless di**head

Just cos someone may be a dickhead, doesnt mean they are friendless. They will just be friends with other dickheads. Therefore, no pity required.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Can we all ensure we keep discussion about intentional triggering general. The gripes forum is not an area for directing abuse at a single individual. If intentional triggering is winding you up get your payback in-game, complaining about it here is a waste of time. Chiefly because we don't have any in-game mechanics to prevent intentional triggering, nor will we ever (It'd be, for one, difficult to code something able to detect it, that being the lesser of two issues - We don't have an admin to code it).

-

On topic, QFT:

^^this, spot on.

Last edited: