Christmas break removal Gripe/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFalcon

Official Helper
I'm generally for a christmas break. If nothing else, the snowball fights were one of bushtarion's little quirks which made it interesting. And having a day or two off does nobody any harm. I would definitely say it added to rather than than detracted from the community spirit.

There's poor logic happening all over this thread though.

Polling forums users, and more specifically users who check this thread and post in it, is a very poor way of testing playerbase opinion. I'm pretty sure 95% of the playerbase will in some way be disrupted by christmas, one way or another. I also have a hunch that inactive players who will take the entirety of christmas away from the internet are not the type of players who will be vocal in this thread.

That said, it's quite hard to defend the position that it's spiteful or mean spirited to take advantage of others being offline at xmas. The rest of the year, we're all pretty OK with taking advantage of others sleeping and sending attacks in the early hours of the morning. Sneaking in to hit a solo going into sleep, hitting someone in another alliance when we know they're unlikely to be on. That's OK but xmas isn't? This game is entirely built around taking advantage of others' weaknesses.

I would also add that Sleep mode is NOT a realistic alternative. There are those out there who will use others going into sleep mode to their advantage; hitting the one or two guys in an alliance who missed the mass-sleep by a couple of ticks.

So yeah, I support christmas break, but I think the most important thing is clarity over whether it's going to happen or not.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Surely it caters more for the playerbase to not have the Christmas Break? Those who don't want to be hit can hit sleep mode, those who want to play, can. Whereas if there is a Christmas Break those who want to play can't....?

I hate Christmas anyway, so anything I can do instead I will always be in favour for.

Elevnos

BANNED
But if there are players hitting sleep, that means that alliances are going to have half their players out during a national holiday, not to mention that a load of players are UK players and there's a few alliances where almost everyone is UK. That means they can all be killed easily...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
It's funny how it's all the Scrooges, and misers who "hate" Christmas and have "nothing better to do" are the ones who utterly refuse to even entertain the prospect of a break (a little hyperbole I know but gotta have some license to exaggerate)

If you can't find anything better to do than bushtarion over a Christmas break, you should see a therapist.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
All is fair in love and war. And this isn't a love game ;)

*laughs evilly*

That being said, even when I'm home with the family for Christmas, I still don't care if we get a break of not, and I'm generally busy the entire day. The little fights are cool, but what happens when I get bored and decide I need a few more acres? Snowmen only carry back snow.. which melts and then I am left with the same acres I already had, only muddy..

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
It's funny how it's all the Scrooges, and misers who "hate" Christmas and have "nothing better to do" are the ones who utterly refuse to even entertain the prospect of a break (a little hyperbole I know but gotta have some license to exaggerate)

If you can't find anything better to do than bushtarion over a Christmas break, you should see a therapist.

This is what I base some of my argument over.

Those, mainly you Alci, need to stop whining over the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas the way you do. Ffs man we all don't have to spend the 2 days stuffing our faces with turkey, drinking champagne or whatever. All I see is that those who don't want the break have to counter-type the stereotypical way of celbrating Christmas. It will never happen. So what if some have a few hours free to themselves to play Bushtarion. My brother takes over my Xbox to play his new games, so I'm left with Bush. Call me Scrooge at will, but I called myself that on November 1st!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
No. I have lots of free time around Christmas, i just think it's fair to everyone to have a break. If you want to play but can't, that's fine, you're the ****ing minority; learn to deal with it. Before you come back and say that I'm in the minority, that's blatantly not true (given the fairly skewed stats on here) not to mention all the people who don't play ftw, or have something else to interest them in their lives during the holidays would probably be more than happy to have the time off. The very fact that you cannot find anything else to do other than play bush speaks volumes.

You can go read a book, play in the snow, touch yourself, do whatever the hell you want. It's inescapably rude, and selfish to force other players who don't want to play to have to play, or hit sleepmode. Bushtarion should not be the only option you have to entertain yourself on christmas, if you have a PC there's loads of other stuff you could be doing, why do you have to ruin other people's holidays because you haven't got the ability to do anything else? How do you not understand that?

That's where my main gripe comes from. it's shocking you guys still don't see that, but getting you guys to understand my viewpoint (and that of others) seems to be impossible. Which astonishes me.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
It is just as rude to force players who DO want to play to not play simply because you want a break. Circular logic is circular.

CFalcon

Official Helper
It is usually considered rude to spit in people's faces.

Is it equally rude to force people to not spit in others' faces?

Is it limiting your freedom to enforce no face spitting? If you think it is, try replacing spitting with murder. Things can stand up logically and still make no sense socially.

I submit that forcing someone to play and forcing someone to not play are not interchangeable ("equally rude") and come with very different implications. Just as "right to life" and "right to murder" are logically just two sides of the same coin, but to any sane person are not equally valid.

Finally, is the break between rounds also encroaching on your freedom to play?

Last edited:

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
No one is forcing you to play, You have the option to opt out of the day. You refuse to use it, that is your problem. Your comparison doesn't fit.

Someone stubbed their toe.
Someone was murdered.. Doesn't quite work.

CFalcon

Official Helper
No one is forcing you to play, You have the option to opt out of the day. You refuse to use it, that is your problem. Your comparison doesn't fit.

Someone stubbed their toe.
Someone was murdered.. Doesn't quite work.

As I've already stated, Sleep mode is not an equivalent opt out method. It comes at the risk of being caught going into/out of sleep without possible defence, and making your alliance-mates greater targets.

And stating my comparison does not fit, does not make it so.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
You must also consider different time-zones, for some folks the break came before Christmas, and ended when they were actually WITH family on Christmas, and thus didn't get a real break.

No it didn't. It started at noon on Christmas Eve and finished at noon on Boxing Day, so nobody was left out.

There are some countries that don't have Christmas on the 25th December -what about them?

As an atheist, I don't celebrate Christmas and thus don't think there should be a Christmas break.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
You must also consider different time-zones, for some folks the break came before Christmas, and ended when they were actually WITH family on Christmas, and thus didn't get a real break.

No it didn't. It started at noon on Christmas Eve and finished at noon on Boxing Day, so nobody was left out.

There are some countries that don't have Christmas on the 25th December -what about them?

As an atheist, I don't celebrate Christmas and thus don't think there should be a Christmas break.

Please provide an example of 1 bush player who celebrates Christmas on a different day.

As an atheist, I don't celebrate Christmas, but I still appreciate that most people do and I'm not thinking purely about how this change affects my own life. It seems that the argument most people are using against a Christmas break is that "this will stop ME from playing".

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Please provide an example of 1 bush player who celebrates Christmas on a different day.

Whilst he doesn't play now, Jesse used to celebrate it on the 24th (I think - either 24th or 26th). I'm sure it's the same for other Finnish/Scandinavian players.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
[23:23] <toby> dachi
[23:23] <toby> do they celebrate christmas on the 24th in scandinavia?
[23:23] <dachi> yeah
[23:24] <dachi> we don't do anything but a family brunch on the 25th

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Its not catering to the minority, its keeping it fair for all. No break(For ANY holiday) = doesn't cater to 1 specific group of people. It doesn't get much more fair than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.