Christmas break removal Gripe/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
And you sir, obviously don't know a goddamn thing about anything! However, in honour of you being clever enough to hoist yourself by your own petard, I'm happy to have done the following simple arithmetic for you. :)

Those who do not support a Christmas Break:

1: LuckySports
2: Angela
3: JamesnChina
4: Yochoko
5: Septimus
6: timtadams
7: zhouj
8: DaX
9: Martin

Errrrrn, i'm not against for having a universal break for *everyone*. What i said in this thread was to point out that Christmas isn't as important as you might think, for other people. I for one, was expecting to have the Dove of Peace Award at Christmas Peace Time 2011 actually. I'm not against for having like 48 hours of official break, be it Christmas or any other day of the year tbh. Christmas seems to be more fitting with the merry atmosphere and some snowball fights and such are cute. But i also think that insulting those who get online to check bush and want to make an attack (whether peace time or not) is misplaced. When there was Christmas Peace Time in 2009 (which was my first round), i was allied and some people even came on irc to wish everyone merry christmas. It was nice. :D So, i know there are more than a few who can actually get online on Christmas day for whatever the reason. I just don't understand Azzer for having listened to a few people for something that was 'nice' to not exist anymore, when he doesn't listen to the more important and detrimental issues people bring to him. :S

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I thought that's what you meant Yochoko, but in the interests of fairness I tried to avoid extrapolating too far from what people said. I'm glad you support a break (i thought it was really fun too!)

I'll switch your place now if you'd like? :D

EDIT: switched!

bluehen55

Harvester
You obviously don't know how statistic works..

You poll a few and use those number to determine a (loose) idea of what the majority thinks. We have a large enough basis from the forum posters to give a somewhat accurate assumption as to the opinion of the whole player-base (a few hundred folks at most)

Once again.. You fail

Wow, you seem to have no idea at all how these things work, as there is obviously no scientific poll being conducted here. There is going to be an inherent bias in asking only forum users, and I would believe that it is not even close to a random sampling of the player base. Not to mention that, as has been pointed out, the numbers don't support you anyway, and if you look at the thread where there was an actual poll, it was pretty one-sided on the side of having a break.

Personally, while I would prefer the break and thought it was fun, I really don't see how it's that big of an issue. Although I do wish it was communicated better. I was playing actively last Christmas, and still forgot that the break had been done away with after so many years of having it, and was rather surprised to pop in and see incoming and the complaining about it. With all the people that tend to come in and out of the game over the years, I just think it would be nice to be more clear about whats going on, so people can go into sleep mode and what not ahead of time.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
You obviously don't know how statistic works..

You poll a few and use those number to determine a (loose) idea of what the majority thinks. We have a large enough basis from the forum posters to give a somewhat accurate assumption as to the opinion of the whole player-base (a few hundred folks at most)

Once again.. You fail

Forum polls aren't really indicative of overall opinion though. Most regular forum users are oldies/FTWies, who are more likely to be active/contactable over the Christmas break and therefore have the most to gain during that time. Your casual inactive solo doesn't really have much use for forums.

And even with that being said, you're still outnumbered :p

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
LOL this is like a drawing board with 7 year old kids saying "I want to be on your side!!"

Jeez, someone get hold of Azzer and implement a break for those who select it before a deadline...the rest can play at will. The magic Santa button we'll call it. Oh wait, there is one...the sleep mode button.

Bored zzzzzz

Yochoko

Head Gardener
Welllllllllll, i don't think the argument is as childish as you think, thoughhh. It's all because Azzer listened to some people who complained about not being able to attack during the Christmas Peace Time, why wouldn't he listen to the opposite opinion if there are a lot of people who want it back? It was something really innocent and nice to have a certain time of break. I thought it was even amusing (and i assure you i was online on Christmas day for long enough to be able to attack or defend if need be. but i understand some people couldn't)! Also, although it is doable to mass sleep mode for allies, you still need to organise it, and there'll be some people who might miss the tick for hitting sm. And the suspense and the fear till you get into sm make you grow white hair! (feels those a lot more when a whole ally hits sm and you are a part of it, imo.) :X

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Hamilton - try not to condemn people for doing something whilst doing it yourself. Its called hypocrisy. If you read previous posts you'll see that everyone was making a point in their posts, Lucky included, whereas yours does actually appear to be written by a child.

Angela

Harvester
And you sir, obviously don't know a goddamn thing about anything! However, in honour of you being clever enough to hoist yourself by your own petard, I'm happy to have done the following simple arithmetic for you. :)

Those who do not support a Christmas Break:

1: LuckySports
2: Angela
3: JamesnChina
4: Septimus
5: timtadams
6: zhouj
7: DaX
8: Martin

Those who do support a Christmas Break:
1: Alcibiades
2: Toby
3: Ogluk
4: Elderveld
5: Podunk
6: Franny
7: atsanjose
8: mrmongo
9: wilymchilybily
10: Illumination
11: Elevnos
12: Max
13: lillie (thanks!)
14: flameharvester (thanks!)
15: Yochoko (HAS SEEN THE LIGHT!!!! No I'm kidding; always been on the light side, I mean right side...)

You mentioned something about failure? Have you learned to count? Just sayin' that perhaps you should think before you speak.

And if I had to bet, if you asked the remaining members of the playerbase their opinions towards a Christmas break, I suspect most of them would fall in line with our opinions, not yours. ;)

EDIT: Adding others ;)

I pretty sure ive no objects for a christmas break, i just dont think people should be abusive or nasty to other people who decide to attack on christmas day, to be honest i be happy either way as if im about and can i will check in if i cant i wont, bushtarion isnt a priority in my life anymore so that isnt going to change because its christmas.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Thanks for clarifying Angela. Same deal with Yochoko I didn't want to go putting words in your proverbial mouth to weight my point. I agree with the abuse thing. Sorry for any difficulty caused!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Its selfish to want to force everyone to have a break because YOU want it. If EVERYONE wanted it, that would be fine, but only about 1/2 of the folks posting actually want it. Do the math.

And those who post are the only people who play this game? Come on Lucky, you know better than that. There are (theoretically) hundreds of players and only about a couple dozen active forum users. So why don't YOU do the math? If you poll the entire player base and come back with stats that prove that the majority of players don't want the break I'll stop harassing you. But until then it's a very reasonable assumption to think that most people would appreciate a break from this extremely activity intensive game on one of the biggest holidays of the year.

Just because you're unable to celebrate does not mean in any way shape or form that you are entitled to ruin the holiday for the rest of us. Once again the definition of selfish has seemingly slipped under your radar.

Alci its not about what most people want. From your little peoples opinion summary, it looks like a significant portion would not be in favour of the break. While it might not be majority, it is certainaly not small. As LS said, you are forcing people to have a break who dont want one. The thing is, many people against have suggested sleepmode as an alternative, which gives everyone choice.

Also, i think it is obvious LS is not going to try and survey the entire playerbase, but i think you will find that in almost every survey/poll ever conducted, only a small number of random people were surveyed, and those results are then assumed to apply to entire population from which the random participants were taken. So it is pointless to try and invalidate any poll taken on the forums without proof.

[edit]
btw, i havnt given support for a Christmas break, but I didnt give support for not having a Christmas break, im actually indifferent and dont give a damn if it is or isnt reintroduced :p

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Alci its not about what most people want. From your little peoples opinion summary, it looks like a significant portion would not be in favor of the break. While it might not be majority, it is certainly not small. As LS said, you are forcing people to have a break who don't want one. The thing is, many people against have suggested sleepmode as an alternative, which gives everyone choice.

Also, i think it is obvious LS is not going to try and survey the entire player-base, but i think you will find that in almost every survey/poll ever conducted, only a small number of random people were surveyed, and those results are then assumed to apply to entire population from which the random participants were taken. So it is pointless to try and invalidate any poll taken on the forums without proof.

[edit]
btw, i haven't given support for a Christmas break, but I didn't give support for not having a Christmas break, im actually indifferent and don't give a damn if it is or isn't reintroduced :p

Nice to see someone can read.

Alci - if you would read my posts, I was never against the Christmas break. I was looking forward to the dove of peace award myself, but I won't cry if it's not returned either.

However - the only argument for it that is brought up repeatedly is the completely biased "fact" of... "everyone celebrates Christmas so they deserve a break" Which is a load of bull.

And btw - Hamilton's post was OBVIOUS sarcasm.. even I couldn't miss it being as tired as I am.

If you really going to try to "fail" me your going to need to try a lot harder than that. My post said it would only be fine if "EVERYONE" wanted it. Posts say they don't, statistics say many don't.

Angela

Harvester
In a remote part of wales today they are celebrating new year ... so can we postpone the round start till tomorrow please :D

Godsend9701

Harvester
u know, u are all simple *****es who really shouldnt complain about a "SIMPLE GAME",

even soldiers in WW1 and WW2 would stop for X-Mas, but thats RL and this is a game, a game the Admin decides to do what he wants after getting input from the player base, so how about STFU about this thread and CLOSE IT. u dont have to worry about it for another 2 rounds anyways.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
mmm... i just had a thought.. those who are *against* a break imposed by the game for 2 days around Christmas want to attack knowing lots of people wouldn't be online and they'll have a greatly increased chance of winning the battle? i mean, if it was simply "i don't want to be forced to have a break 'coz i always want to send attacks!" and if they actually send attacks 'often' outside of Christmas time, i'd understand that they'd feel annoyed to be limited. but it's still 2 days out of 75 days. what's the big deal? it seems to me, they whine because it's such a tasty occasion to have winning battles and that occasion is barred by the game's official peace time. but if they were on the other end of the battle as a few onliners of the ally that are witnessing undefendable incs on their offline ally mates? they'd be whining too, i bet. :X (or not if they care only about themselves and not about their ally mates. :p) what i mean is, as i'd certainly be one of the onliners on the said day, i'd feel a lot more pressure if i were allied for the eventual incs on any one of us, being online. so, a break would be a relief!

also, think about everyone who can't be around on Christmas hitting sleep mode altogether. now you are online and hope those who aren't in sleep to be away from bush. but maybe they aren't in sleep 'coz they can be around. it's now more evident that the chances of them being online is far greater than the rest of the round. you still can probably get free lands as they can't get defense. which makes me think, unless you are one of the top players, it's stupid not to hit sleep mode although you can be online, without your ally mates to defend you. so, in the end, everyone will be in sleep mode. now, don't you think an official break would be more simple after all? with an award for those who do come online and send defense mob, snowball fight BRs, etc? :X

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
And btw - Hamilton's post was OBVIOUS sarcasm.. even I couldn't miss it being as tired as I am.

Aye senor.

Hamilton - try not to condemn people for doing something whilst doing it yourself. Its called hypocrisy. If you read previous posts you'll see that everyone was making a point in their posts, Lucky included, whereas yours does actually appear to be written by a child.

Meh I barely pay any attention to your posts anymore anyway.

I, maybe others in the same boat as me would rather see the use of a setting in the game available to those who know they can't play at certain times. This thread has just become an offensive war of words to those who'd rather have the ability to play during Christmas. I aswell as others, who don't celebrate Christmas like you others do, can't expect to have our bush time sacrificed because others want to spend time with their family, play their new Xbox games and wine and dine...

Not everybody is the same and that list and bragging is childish. I'm sticking up for the others who don't have the same Christmas lifestyle as others deem right. If Azzer cared, he's implement it, and to be truthful I don't give a rats ass if if there is a Christmas break, I just made use of the fact there wasn't one :)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I was fully aware that your post was sarcasm, but does that somehow make it less childish and more constructive?

I don't really celebrate Christmas, but I know it impacts on a lot of other peoples' activity and availability over those few days.

I think it takes a fairly spiteful mentality to make use of the inactivity around a widely followed holiday to get yourself some cheap land/kills.

I know you are one of those players who has to use every advantage given to you to make up for your utter lack of competence, and as such I'm not really surprised that you are against a Christmas break, but do you honestly see it as a "sacrifice" that your bush time is limited for 2 days? Are you that badly addicted? :/

A Christmas break is just a nice little addition for those not playing FTW so they can go offline without worrying about getting bashed by people like you, and sleep mode is not a valid replacement for that imo.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
i was fully aware that your post was sarcasm, but does that somehow make it less childish and more constructive?

I don't really celebrate christmas, but i know it impacts on a lot of other peoples' activity and availability over those few days.

I think it takes a fairly spiteful mentality to make use of the inactivity around a widely followed holiday to get yourself some cheap land/kills.

I know you are one of those players who has to use every advantage given to you to make up for your utter lack of competence, and as such i'm not really surprised that you are against a christmas break, but do you honestly see it as a "sacrifice" that your bush time is limited for 2 days? Are you that badly addicted? :/

a christmas break is just a nice little addition for those not playing ftw so they can go offline without worrying about getting bashed by people like you, and sleep mode is not a valid replacement for that imo.

+1,000,000

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Yochoko - It's not always about taking advantage, sometimes you just have nothing better to do, and when bush is your only outlet (I know a few folks like that) and your suddenly forced into a break for a holiday you don't celebrate.. You see it as unfair/unjust.

As for losing land - that's life if your not a top player. There shouldn't be anyone outside the top that doesn't expect to lose land every single day. (unless your allied with me and I'm pom.. :p)

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
I was fully aware that your post was sarcasm, but does that somehow make it less childish and more constructive?

I don't really celebrate Christmas, but I know it impacts on a lot of other peoples' activity and availability over those few days.

I know you are one of those players who has to use every advantage given to you to make up for your utter lack of competence, and as such I'm not really surprised that you are against a Christmas break, but do you honestly see it as a "sacrifice" that your bush time is limited for 2 days? Are you that badly addicted? :/

A Christmas break is just a nice little addition for those not playing FTW so they can go offline without worrying about getting bashed by people like you, and sleep mode is not a valid replacement for that imo.

1. It's not purely about me
2. It's not spiteful, it's peoples preferences over yours
3. Stop thinking your opinion has value over mine, they're opinions

You are so direct, I applaud that, but this time you are too direct to imply that I'm wrongdoing and I deserve to be shot. Toby, the way Obx defended last round, it needed more than 1 of us, oh wait, you mean me, so it needed more than just me.
However, just because it's Christmas, doesn't mean that whatever you are doing (NOT YOU PERSONALLY) doesn't mean we have to aswell, which includes playing a game.

If you read my last post, I also say that I'm not too bothered if there was a break or not, I'm just saying I took/will take advantage of the fact there isn't one until there is...

Same for me, if I knew I was busy, didn't want to be bothered over Xmas, I would use sleep mode for 24 hours. Big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.