R50 Discussions

redlion

Pruner
we didn't have troop advantage when the resistance started :shock: far from actually, that's part of the reason the first couple of hits had so much landlosses.
My followup question would be, when are you marking the start of the resistance?

And when are we marking the end of it? Because it ceased to be effective long before the non-aggression pacts expired.

Timmiejj

Pruner
we didn't have troop advantage when the resistance started :shock: far from actually, that's part of the reason the first couple of hits had so much landlosses.
My followup question would be, when are you marking the start of the resistance?

And when are we marking the end of it? Because it ceased to be effective long before the non-aggression pacts expired.

well imo the start of it was when the first mass incs where like 12-16 of us had inc from 3 different allies.

The end of it hmm, well it stopped being effective a while before but i think the actual end of it was when things came into motion again with Cori being raped and the retalling on our attacking efforts ceased.

redlion

Pruner
2 or 3 ftw alliances? lol
What is it with people on this forum and always being ****s?

Well if you don't say things which are clearly wrong maybe we'd all get along better.

I think we've established fairly universally both here and elsewhere on the forums that the terms FTW and FTF are entirely devoid of meaning. if thats the only thing you want to argue about, save your breath.

I'm using it here to differentiate between Cori (who never attacked, ever, save Souls) and the other three alliances which had marginally better participation rates.

If you disagree with my use of the term, kindly be a dick elsewhere, because you're not contributing to the conversation in any real capacity.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
We attacked when we wanted. In a game of 100 players you have to be picky with your attacks. We felt it was more important to stick to our moral code, than to resort to dodgy tactics in order to get a couple of extra acres.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
2 or 3 ftw alliances? lol
What is it with people on this forum and always being ****s?

Well if you don't say things which are clearly wrong maybe we'd all get along better.

I think we've established fairly universally both here and elsewhere on the forums that the terms FTW and FTF are entirely devoid of meaning. if thats the only thing you want to argue about, save your breath.

I'm using it here to differentiate between Cori (who never attacked, ever, save Souls) and the other three alliances which had marginally better participation rates.

If you disagree with my use of the term, kindly be a dick elsewhere, because you're not contributing to the conversation in any real capacity.

Yes, I'm being a dick for pointing out that just because alliances were involved in a resistance that doesn't mean they're ftw. And just because the other alliances were marginally more active than Cori also does not make them ftw. I would also like to point out that I'm not the one who has rapidly descended to petty name-calling.

Shituation are the only alliance I would class as anything approaching ftw this round. All the other alliances openly recruited as being purely for fun without any real designs on winning, and most of them participated in the resistance simply because it is what is expected of you, and you usually get bashed to **** if you say no. If you look at Cori, Scallywags, Squirrels, or TBA and see ftw alliances then you need your eyes checked.

The resistance failed because most alliances these days have no intention of being involved in any kind of politics or "ftw" play but get coerced into it because there are no other more suitable alliances. It has happened before with alliances I've led which have been intended purely as inactive funsies alliances and before we know it we're rank 2 or 3 and getting dragged into politics because there really isn't any other competition.

Last edited:

redlion

Pruner
We attacked when we wanted. In a game of 100 players you have to be picky with your attacks. We felt it was more important to stick to our moral code, than to resort to dodgy tactics in order to get a couple of extra acres.
You misunderstand. I'm not saying that it was a bad thing that you didn't attack with the resistance. But I wouldn't have joined a resistance with those other alliances when you had wildly different ideas of what success in the game is, or what makes a good player, or how to honorably attack, or whatever you include in your moral code.

I can appreciate what you guys were doing. But I agree with Dax that an 80 man powerblock is rather useless, especially if they're not attacking together.

@Toby, just stop. Maybe you missed the part where I said to save your breath. I'm not going to rehash the oldest argument in the history of the game just so that you can feel superior.

Max

Garden Designer
OK, so the real reason that the resistance didn't succeed is because at the end of the day none of the resisting alliances really wanted the win? I can accept that. That would explain the low participation rate. Then we can also credit Sh1tuation for not crumbling to individual bounty rushes, as evidenced by Tim's phone activity.

Thanks for the input!

edd

Tree Surgeon
Max! As one of the "reprobates" in charge of the resistance I would agree with some of the points made so far;

The defense was good. Well done Polo/Cyrus and whoever else did their part on the organising front. Well done for everyone else for having faith in those in charge and sticking it through.

The first weekend we planted up in winter, as a resistance, which gave us a troop advantage in the first wave for sure. We (scally) got some good kills on Cyrus and some defenders and Cori killed whoever the SA "azzer" is who was the rank 2 at the time. Chris_ and Reaper were much smaller so actually this was a huge win for the resistance because let's be honest, massive SA players have beaten resistances down almost single handedly before (daniel round 41).

We kept the pressure on for 2 more waves that night in which time Daniel_nz died and if Elderveld didn't die on the first wave, he did later on that first day.

On the second and third days we got very few kills but Scally/cori/ADH stole over 35k acres while smeg just blocked TBA iirc? I think that was just one of the days in fact.

It's now Monday; We try two waves and have pretty poor participation save TBA who probably had 15 on each wave (props to them for very good participation throughout the waves and for the rushes) which resulted in the death of boogie and myself. We don't land anything and we don't kill so morale isn't great but hey! we're still up in land and smeg are probably a bit sleep deprived so we will get going again tomorrow right?

Wrong. We never had as good a turnout as we did on those first few waves and as it turns out planning a wave for 40-50 people is actually a lot of effort, especially when 10-15 don't show up ;/ I didn't attempt another 40-man plan and we went back to a few targets per ally which was predictable and became shamefully easy to defend as participation dropped.

So to summarise a brief outlook on the resistance so far

1) Good play on Rank1's part.
2) Participation died out in the week, as you might expect tbh.
3) Lack of innovation in our attacks

Anybody who thinks the resistance stood a chance after that was just not watching the spies because it was clear that unless we got a big win like killing polo on a rush for huge profit, we were never going to get anywhere. I didn't want it to continue after the first week but I also didn't want to bail on the resistance while some still felt their was hope.

I have never played with Addicted before but I want to thank him and Blockatiel (TBA) for the enthusiasm and effort they brought to the irc table.

To all the people saying we're pathetic for failing I will only say that you don't appreciate how hard it is to get things done on this scale (looking at you Dax/Chris'O) against decent players. You can't just click your fingers and expect a victory.

And To all involved in the resistance/smeguation, well played and at the end of the day I hope you had fun and learned a thing or two ;) I know I did.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
@Toby, just stop. Maybe you missed the part where I said to save your breath. I'm not going to rehash the oldest argument in the history of the game just so that you can feel superior.

It isn't about the definition of the word. I'm saying that if you think it is a "poor showing from 2 or 3 supposedly ftw alliances" you're out of line. They are not ftw and I doubt any of them would agree with you classifying them as such. If you expect them to send more than 5 or 6 people per wave then your expectations are unreasonable.

That is why the resistance failed. Not bad leadership, or disappointing participation, but because the alliances taking part didn't have the activity or motivation to really commit to it. Behind every ID is a person, and they have their own commitments, aims, goals, or just want to idle the round away in peace. If they wanted to win they would've tried harder. If they don't want to send with the resistance then there's only so much a leader can do (if they even wanted to). Trying to pressure people into sending on attacks they don't want to send on in a non-ftw alliance is futile.

So imo it is no-one's fault that the resistance didn't succeed. Having the numbers on paper to be able to succeed is one thing, but you have to bear in mind that the alliances participating were all varying degrees of apathetic.

redlion

Pruner
we're still up in land and smeg are probably a bit sleep deprived so we will get going again tomorrow right?

Wrong. We never had as good a turnout as we did on those first few waves and as it turns out planning a wave for 40-50 people is actually a lot of effort, especially when 10-15 don't show up ;/ I didn't attempt another 40-man plan and we went back to a few targets per ally which was predictable and became shamefully easy to defend as participation dropped.
Well said. After that first week it wasn't really a resistance so much as a non-aggression pact. Resistance implies that we were working together, when really it was much more piecemeal than that.

edd

Tree Surgeon
That's not really what I meant by that tbh, more along the lines of how our attacks were 1-dimensional and were therefore easier to block.

Just because ID's aren't being shared that doesn't mean we aren't working together

Max

Garden Designer
Was the lack of attacking tactics limited by the lack of attack planners or the fact that plans kept failing due to lack of participation?

redlion

Pruner
That's not really what I meant by that tbh, more along the lines of how our attacks were 1-dimensional and were therefore easier to block.

Just because ID's aren't being shared that doesn't mean we aren't working together
They became one dimensional because the attacks ceased coming from multiple directions (i.e. more than one alliance) and only came from one direction at a time. Is that not what we both said?

Not sure what you mean about sharing IDs. Sharing target IDs?

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
You misunderstand. I'm not saying that it was a bad thing that you didn't attack with the resistance. But I wouldn't have joined a resistance with those other alliances when you had wildly different ideas of what success in the game is, or what makes a good player, or how to honorably attack, or whatever you include in your moral code.

I can appreciate what you guys were doing. But I agree with Dax that an 80 man powerblock is rather useless, especially if they're not attacking together.

We joined the resistance because it made the game more interesting for everyone involved. We felt we'd rather have a bunch of battles alongside alliances we don't like than sit and watch the round decay. That being said, as soon as actual success seemed possible I decided we should stop helping alliances we don't like, and don't agree with.

Naturally that turned out to be the right choice, as even when the remaining 3 alliances had more score and land than Shituation, they wasted much of their time bashing us to the ground. Appaently our 4-5 players sending on each wave was what kept it all going.

Oh well

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
1) Shtuation could pretty much get everyone on and anyone they couldnt they could just real. For TBA's planning i almost picked our targets *too* well as I had good intel on exactly when people would be off.

2) Squirrels sucked hard. Ninja you completely buckled under the pressure of organising your alliance. 2/3/4/5 people at times sending and you were the same size as everyone.

3) Cori was only ever joining in if they had people on. And props to them for that but they had just as many as squirrels.

4) I kicked the resistance off because Shtuation seemed bad and we were active. But after 2 days my workplace lost 2 members of management and 2 stock guys. Meaning i was juggling 3 jobs. Doing 70 hour weeks. So i think the fact i wasnt babysitting some people to get their alliances intp shape effected it. Bloc and Addicted were great at it but they dont habe Twigley rage which is needed in a resistance with multiple alliances.

But yeah props to ****. When we had rebuilt we did want the win 100% I was on mad activity which saw us rebuild fast but work called ...

edd

Tree Surgeon
Just fyi, Scally had no knowledge of the backstab on Cori, I thought block/addicted felt as strongly as i did about not hitting Cori because of the effort you/souls/webvictim/pi and a few others had put in but apparently as soon as Souls jumped ship it was on.

redlion

Pruner
Was the lack of attacking tactics limited by the lack of attack planners or the fact that plans kept failing due to lack of participation?
You ask good questions.

I can't speak for the other alliances, but for ADH I came in late and started planning. There were maybe two other decently competent planners in ADH but they weren't very forthcoming with attack plans. I tried to run a few waves with addicted from TBA but participation fell through the floor.

I think the situation was much the same in the other alliances - at least one or two planners, but few with experience planning for more than 20 IDs.

It was participation past the first week or so that really threw the wrench into the works.

edd

Tree Surgeon

Probably a combination of the two given how long the resistance lasted. For me I felt like i was lacking the time to plan anything big but it was a few weeks ago so maybe i'm just making excuses :/