Age of Empires II

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
I can play today if people are up for it.

We had a good game last night with Me, DA and Steve

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I haven't, yet, tbh.

Done a fair bit of review-reading. The general feeling seems to be that other than very, very slightly improving some of the graphics the game remains exactly the same other than Steam multiplayer support and Steam Workshop.

Neither of those things I need - GameRanger serves exactly the same purpose and there are tons of modding communities that have vastly more mods that Steam Workshop (at least for the time being).

The "HD" release offering so little, whilst at the same time dropping Forgotten Empires, is a no-brainer to avoid it for the time being.

I'm also a bit irked by them calling it "HD" - I think this is really quite misleading. The difference in graphics is pretty negligible. The amount of money they've made from this "HD" release (It's actually #1 sales and ahead of Bioshock Infinite on the Steam Store) should have easily allowed for a much bigger budget - One that might have helped them do more than run a dishcloth over what is arguably the best RTS of all time. Even with a tiny budget, though, I'm amazed the development team has managed to get away with doing so little. (Interestingly - a good few of the top downloads on the steam workshop are for the old terrain graphics. People have literally bought the game for Steam multiplayer support and shrugged off the "new" graphics).

TL;DR - Forgotten empires has done far more for the game than this HD release - I'm sticking with that for the time being. If the Steam workshop really takes off and some half decent graphics improvements get implemented I'll pick it up eventually)

Last edited:

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
What about the engine? Can the game handle more units, more AIs etc. efficiently and quickly?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
The game engine itself remains unchanged, afaik. There are no changes to actual gameplay, just visual engines (and again, marginal at that).

I was hoping for much, much more tbh.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
ITT:
P2NfgzN.jpg