Age of Empires II

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I'm not often on le PC (or Bush, either) anymore, so I don't check threads that I could have no personal interest in :p

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Looks like we're going to be seeing The Forgotten Empires for the 'HD' version too.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/19/after-14-years-an-aoe2-fan-mod-becomes-an-official-expansion/

tumblr_lv5p3z5eMK1qee36vo1_500.png

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Apparently there's a cracked version that allows you to play AoC HD or HQ or whatever through steam without paying. Needless to say, that's what I've been waiting for.

Anyone wanna multi? Be warned, I'm terrible at it

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
To be honest, I've yet to see a reason to get it on Steam as opposed to just using my old version.

Does it have Steam Workshop support? Good mods + the multiplayer would be a decent reason.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I don't know :p I haven't even played it yet, I know I love it, but I also cba playing single player.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Prot - Hit me up with torrent ID's if I see you on IRC? I'll get it when I next get paid on Steam but I want to see the performance increases for myself to justify spending the money.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
my brother installed it on his PC so I don't really know where he downloaded it from. I'm sure it'll be easy enough to find though. Google to the rescue

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
Prot - Hit me up with torrent ID's if I see you on IRC? I'll get it when I next get paid on Steam but I want to see the performance increases for myself to justify spending the money.

From what I've read/heard, the performance increases are not significant. It sounded a bit disappointing overall.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

From what I've read/heard, the performance increases are not significant. It sounded a bit disappointing overall.

Likewise. If it becomes available on Steam as part of some mega-sale I'll probably stump up a few quid (especially as (I think someone already mentioned) they're working on releasing the unofficial "Forgotten Empires" expansion for the Steam version.

In my mind the entire re-release was a complete waste of time without seriously upgrading the graphics (a few texture touch ups here and there was laughable).

[Edit]
Incidentally, I've just found that the fan-made "Forgotten Empires" unofficial expansion has just been made "official" and is now an expansion pack. You can pick it up on Steam if you have the HD version already:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239550/

I literally lold when I saw they're charging £6.99 for it. They've literally took the fan-made work, polished the textures to the same barely noticeably different standard of the "HD" version, and stuck a price tag on.

Amazing.

Last edited:

Elevnos

BANNED
Seeing first-hand the amount of work that was put in not only to Forgotten Empires but the patch that went with it, I can't help but feel the person who made it has been swayed by the promise of money for a project that once started as non-profit...

Hippie

Harvester
there are a few changes between the unofficial mod and the official expansion.

there is no AI settings (barbarian etc)
sometimes, the computer players can't get their villagers to do anything. they build a farm and the auto-farm once completed setting seems to be missing. same thing for all resource gathering actions.

played an 8 player 2v2v2v2 and only 3 other computer players actually were able to build...

makes it stupid when that happens.