GTA IV

Tapey

Weeder
Re: GTA IV

Dnt sound 2 bad frm wat i red. I normaly enjoy gta games bt get bored with em b4 the end. The story lines realy suck. Bt the gameplay is quite gud normaly. Bt i wnt b buying it il jst play it at a mates.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Tapey said:
Dnt sound 2 bad frm wat i red. I normaly enjoy gta games bt get bored with em b4 the end. The story lines realy suck. Bt the gameplay is quite gud normaly. Bt i wnt b buying it il jst play it at a mates.

oh sweet jesus write properly...

Lupus

Head Gardener

he is south african and probably hungry leave rich alone u big meanie!

Tapey

Weeder

Im sorry arb person. Im uneducated and on my cellphone. Its not a good combination. Trust me ;D

Loz

Harvester

pinpower said:
Tapey said:

oh sweet jesus write properly...

he plays bush on his mobile lmao text talk ftw and rich FTW <3
so leave him alone pin u big bully !

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I'll just paste what I replied to a post on the Gamespot forums for GTA IV with (the thread was titled "GTA IV: Great, but not as FUN as San Andreas"). Sums up most of my feelings;

I agree with the OP on most points. I feel that the replay factor has been seriously reduced. Wide open country areas that split the game world up were excellent - I liked the feel of openness, driving across fields, up a mountain side, over hills etc. - it added to the freedom and feel of open exploration. The city in GTA IV looks great but it is all city - while there are differences between the islands/areas, they are all still city. Compared to San Andreas GTA IV just has no distinct different areas at all - the island of happiness and the large park are about it, really.

Driving is definitely more along the lines of a "simulation" now, rather than a fun game. I enjoyed the slightly unrealistic burning my car around at top speeds swerving around every corner, it was great fun. Sure the collisions, damage models etc. in GTA IV are unparalelled (and you/other people flying out of windsrceens if hit in a certain place at the right speed is great), but the skidding around every single corner at more than moderate speed on a number of cars (and even the better handling cars aren't great) reduces the fun and the nature of "GTA" in all the previous games.

The army coming after you is greatly missed. I loved watching the place turn in to a military lockdown, watching tanks and RPG soldiers marching around on the streets, it was great fun. GTA IV is just police, police, police. Anyone else miss raiding the army base and stealing the attack helicopter? Or the planes you could fly around?

Jetpack/parachute - these I really miss. It really added to the exploration, and the "open-endedness", as well as the replayability. Most of my time in San Andreas, after completing the missions, was spent jetting around, finding high points to base-jump from with the parachute etc. - and because it was a good mix of urban and country, there were lots of fun/cool things to do.

GTA IV has made some giant leaps forward with the technology. But it has definitely made steps back with the gameplay.

Overall I'd give GTA IV an 8, but say that San Andreas was definitely a lot more fun and had a lot more replayability.

Slightly disappointed overall in the steps back :(

The original post was;

Sure it's a great game (8/10), but it's lost a lot of things that made the last game so much fun.

Things that made San Andreas better ...

1) Wide open country areas - a nice break from the city. GTA 4 feels the same no matter where you are in the game which gets a bit boring.

2) Driving was fun. Now it's fairly difficult and a bit of a chore. The damages to the cars do look great though!

3) Famous actors doing the voices, always nice to hear a voice you recognize. GTA 4 seems to have hired a bunch of nobodies! They did ok though.

4) Jetpacks & Parachutes! These were great fun. No sign of them in GTA 4, big disapointment.

5) Being able to swim underwater. Finding dead guys with concrete shoes was funny. You can only swim above water in GTA 4.

6) Marine life (dolphins, turtles etc) were a welcome distraction in SA, even if you couldn't shoot them! No such creatures in GTA 4.

7) The army coming after you. When those tanks start rolling up you know you are in trouble! I have had 6-stars in GTA 4 a few times and no sign of any army dudes so I guess they have also been left out.

Seems almost like a step backwards with GTA 4 despite the major gfx improvement and various other details. Completed it last night and enjoyed it but prefer San Andreas a lil' bit more :D

Bunion

Harvester

If what you say is true about the army and other such stuff, then it is a disappointment. I shall agree with the points about GTASA, as it is one of my all time favourite games, even if it is primarily a console game for this PC fanboy.

GTA4 still looks like a "must have" but seems like gta3 enlarged instead of the progression VC and especially SA brought to the series.

Treedude

Harvester

Never really got into San Andreas, couldn't be arsed with having to hit the gym all the time and eat to live, bit too much for me. The only point I wanted to answer to tho was the driving which i am bloody loving. I'm as much a fan of skidding around corners as the next guy (give me the handbrake cornering of NFS any day) but i love the driving system in GTA IV. I hardly ever use the taxis, have only done it twice, drive everywhere and once i got the hang of it its so good. Been especially loving the races online, so much fun :D

Do agree with no parachutes tho, that is disapointing, but then ive not really needed them at all yet. No army is a bit **** as well, no tanks in fact, but i wouldnt say that has hindered my own personal enjoyment of the game, yet anyway :p

As to some of the other points, there are still some famous people (love the Ricky Gervais stuff, and Baz Rutten), but marine life and being able to swim underwater i can't see as anything other than just looking for holes, that's such a minute portion of the game :p

Bunion

Harvester

A point that has appeared again and again about SA is the gym and eating.

I am currently replaying SA as a distraction from 4. While I was in Los Santos, I went to the gym and bulked up. I haven't been back since, and my muscle is still maxed and my stamina is increasing as I run around everywhere.

I barely eat, except when I want to heal, and never suffer for it, especially since most times I want to heal, I just go to a safe-house and save.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

yeah i was actually thinking about this yesterday in a bit more detail...looking comparatively i think i prefer san andreas overall...purely for the reply factor...i think i spent more time playing san andreas after i had completed it tbh...

pretty much of the same opinion as the azzman, i miss: parachutes, planes (the jet was a laugh once you'd completed the game), the army coming after you, being able to modify your car was fun...make it look just how you want, garages that fix your car for you (tis getting annoying having a great car but it gets all smashed up), the countryside...i actually thought this as soon as i started playing gta4...but i didnt think it would really bother me, but looking back it does.

also, does anyone else miss the bikes, like bicycle bikes i mean...they were a laugh...and i was loving jumping off that ramp at the top of the mountain on one.

worst bit of san andreas was definately the having to go to the gym thing, but arguably you could say that an equally annoying bit of gta4 is having to meet up with your "friends" every couple of nights (although its more optional in gta 4).

overall GTA 4 is ****ing amazing, and i still havnt quite finished it so im loving it...im just thinking that once i finish it the replay factor isnt going to be that great...as with gta 4 i find im spending less time in between missions just messin about compared to SA.

basically with GTA 4 they have moved towards a more realistic game (which i heard they were going to do before the game came out). And while this has been great in a way as I definitely think the missions in gta4 are better overall it has seriously decreased the replay/free roam capabilities (for me anyway) of the game. While there are alot of funny bits (alot of crude humour etc) what with the websites, "cherry popper", and little things like that...the overall game is far more serious which now im almost finished and looking back over this and SA is actually a negative i feel

Like the azzman said GTA 4: 8/10 - San Andreas: 9/10

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

pinpower said:
yeah i was actually thinking about this yesterday in a bit more detail...looking comparatively i think i prefer san andreas overall...purely for the reply factor...i think i spent more time playing san andreas after i had completed it tbh...

pretty much of the same opinion as the azzman, i miss: parachutes, planes (the jet was a laugh once you'd completed the game), the army coming after you, being able to modify your car was fun...make it look just how you want, garages that fix your car for you (tis getting annoying having a great car but it gets all smashed up), the countryside...i actually thought this as soon as i started playing gta4...but i didnt think it would really bother me, but looking back it does.

also, does anyone else miss the bikes, like bicycle bikes i mean...they were a laugh...and i was loving jumping off that ramp at the top of the mountain on one.

overall GTA 4 is ****ing amazing, and i still havnt quite finished it so im loving it...im just thinking that once i finish it the replay factor isnt going to be that great...as with gta 4 i find im spending less time in between missions just messin about compared to SA.

Like the azzman said GTA 4: 8/10 - San Andreas: 9/10

Agree with all of this. I used to love breaking into the military camp and stealing the harrier jumpjet, and then flying round like a maniac under bridges and in river valleys...until that inevitable moment where a skyscraper magically appears in front of me and I die.

GTA4 is technically a far superior game. I love the driving, the graphics are great, the combat is good...but it just seems to be lacking something. San Andreas was so much more playable.

Also, I really hate the "friends" thing. Nothing more annoying than finishing a mission and having like 5 missed text messages from friends telling you what a neglectful ******* you are.

Souls

Official Helper

The easiest temporary solution is to drive them into the water, but that's only a temporary fix. You have to pick them up from the hospital some time :p

Mattheus

Head Gardener

OK so I just bought this, yeah I'm slow etc - but I can't help noticing that everyone seems to be wnking off over this game in this here thread. So heres my opinion:

The game is ****.
The first half hour or so is spent pretty much taxiing your cousin around, then things get REALLY interesting when you go BOWLING.
WOW WHAT FUN

Yeah yeah I have a short attention span, yeah I'm sure it gets orgasm-inducingly good later on. But I don't really fancy waiting.

I've found it's the same with every other GTA. The first few missions of the story mode are painfully dull so they can ease you into things - usually just driving someone around and picking people up etc. But I've never had the patience to stick through it. So I just go round rampaging through the city until that gets boring (usually a few minutes) Then it never graces the inside of the console again.

The saddest thing is that I fall for the hype each and every time a new GTA is released. :(

philipd12

Harvester

played it once, not playing it again.
I agree with everything Mattheus said.
Another thing that annoyed me about the game was it was always dark when i played it :\ meh. maybe thats just my tv but after all the hype the game got before being released it was not a patch on what i thought it would be :(