GTA IV

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Re: GTA IV

been playing it since tues morning, i actually missed half my first lesson on tuesday to go into town and buy it before they ran out...lol

absolutely loving it, each time they bring out a new gta (apart from the PSP ones) i think its the best game ever made, purely based on the insane size of the game...there is weeks of single player material alone

i also love the detail, like when you go online there are loads of different sites that you find out about through spam emails and stuff, just funny little additions that you can relate to. also like how if you go out with a friend for drinks you get drunk and driving becomes really difficult, and if the police see you drink driving you get a wanted level etc

i dont know if i like the driving, im getting alot better at it now but i think it might almost be TOO realistic...but like i said im getting used to it now

ive been playing alot since it came out and i've barely scratched the surface..LOVE IT!

also, in comparison to san andreas (which is still a ****ing awesome game) i like how they have made eating only necesary to replenish health, and the whole "girlfriend" thing is now pretty optional (you get an achievement for some stuff)...also i like how they have taken out the gym bit (those that played san andreas will understand), while it was fun at first after you've played most of the game and are doing other things having to go and eat/go to the gym all the time just got really annoying

also, on a side note 360 is so much better than the ps3 which is overpriced and sucks ass!

Also, microsoft have exclusive downloadable content coming out later in the year which, amongst other things, includes a number of added "episodes" that you will be able to play, each one lasting roughly 9 hours...meaning the 360 copy will have extended single player possibilities

also online on 360 is far superior to the ps3...which ill say again...sucks ass.

Bobbin

Head Gardener

Having now gotten used to the driving I am completelty in love with this game..

It's so Massive, like seriously, me and 4 of my friends spent the last few nights playing on free roam just exploring and it's awesome... Plus, crashing into the Empire State Building with a helicopter and jumping off on top... such fun!

I'm at about 20% completion now, jsut unlocked the centre Island, and it's taken me about 8 hours... so this game is gonna last a while..

Carnage

Beginner

Got it on release day (PS3 version) .... have played maybe 15 hours approx ... and love it.

So far I have just unlocked the second island, and have spent most time doing side mission stuff before progressing. I have completed all the 'Most Wanted' kills, the Little jacob drug deals, All my friends and GF like me 100% :)

It took a while to get used to the new buttons (eg. I keep clicking X and Square buttons for braking and acceleration when in a rush), but otherwise I'm getting the hang of it and love 4-wheel powersliding around corners :p

I've been reading about this "freezing" issue on net forums and on Friday it happened to me. It seemed to occur after I tried playing online... then next day it would stop on the "Loading xxx" screen and wouldn't move on (at start-up). I finally resolved this by deleting the game data (not the game saves though) and letting it to the initial install again ..... no further freezes and I'm not going near online again until I hear they have fixed whatever the issue is.... or until I've finished the single player stuff

But from the brief experience i had online (1 Vs 1 against a ps3 friend for a couple of goes and 1 race mode against him).... it rocks. Being able to hide yourself anywhere in the city and waiting for the other guy to come, or just hunting the other guy down was a blast!!! I had a mad shootout in one of the burger stores with customers screaming and running for their lives which amused me to no end :)

My only other suggestion to people complaining about 'bluriness' or 'haziness' is to turn the 'Flicker-Filter' OFF (In Game Display Options) ..... with this setting on I had to adjust the contrast/brightness almost to max to see in shadows and at a distance. With the setting turned off, I could play with these settings on default (50%) and it was awesome ... but I am also only using a SD TV so with HD it's probably alright to leave it turned on

.. and finally to the x-box fan-boy (PinPower), I personally wouldn't care what console I played it on, it would still be great. And whilst I have heard that there will be downloadable content for x-box soon, I have heard that there will also be downloadable content for the PS3 eventually too. I guess that with the extra add-ons the PS3 version needs (eg. getting it to work with the six-axis controller and getting it working on the PSN for online play), it probably just will take a little longer.... but I would be surprised if PS3 didn't end up getting the same 'updates' down the track (especially as GTA isn't a microsoft owned game)

That's my 2 cents :p

[range] 1 allied Niko Bellic attacked, killing ALL the hostile population of Liberty City.

Died: Millions of enemies dead.

-Enigma

PS: My PS3 nick is "E-N-I-G-M-A" .... add me. I may not be playing GTA online yet, but I am still loving CoD4 online and would love to hunt you all like animals :p

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Poor you from having console! When it arrives to PC im gonna play it at 1600x 1200 with full AA and all candies and its gonna roxor your boxors like nothing ever... beaing so much better than some stupid console crap.
;)

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

but lets be honest anyone would take a game with 95% good gameplay and 5% graphics

than 0% gameplay and 100% graphics which is basically what youve got mright now, youve got no game to play

the rest of us have GTA and bashing it out right now whilst your waiting 6 months +, and i say plus because it might even be alot longer than that =)

Bobbin

Head Gardener

early next year for PC version... maybe... so you're looking at 8 months to a year to wait for it.

As they won't just do a straight port to PC, they'll do it properly and likely completely redesign the control aspect of the game, plus others, so you're talking a lot of development.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

Cyrus said:
than 0% gameplay and 100% graphics which is basically what youve got mright now, youve got no game to play

Bushtarion? It doesn't even have graphics so its 100% gameplay! :D

+

I don't know about GTA4, but all the previous versions were less than crap. Now I would understand if you buy a console for a game like Starcraft2, but GTA4? Come on... I prefer spending those money on hookers...

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

f0xx said:
I don't know about GTA4, but all the previous versions were less than crap. Now I would understand if you buy a console for a game like Starcraft2, but GTA4? Come on... I prefer spending those money on hookers...

yeah but thats just because people like you in romania are used to all the violence in the neighboorhood,
we (from the west) can only fantasies about those things

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Right, so i bought this game a few days ago and it is beastly.

As far as the console argument goes, so long as you enjoy the game, and have fun, you could be playing it on a cardboard box for all i care. Console choice comes to down to personal preference so enough of this garbage argument **** about who's console is better. ffs peeps... grow up.

As some people said the driving was new but it took all of 5 minutes for me to turn into a regular wheelman.

I love the graphics, i love the characters, gameplay... Everything.

So far the only complaint i really have is that i don't particularly like the radio stations... it's just not my kind of music but meh.

oh also, and this will seem hilarious in the context of the games we're talking about, but i've always known/understood that GTA is a fairly vicious/crude/violent/despicable game (in it's content, behaviour etc) but i really really do think that GTA4 may have crossed a few boundaries so far. I mean the opening scene is a man getting spanked by mostly naked girls with a leather whip... I mean i'm all for leather in the bedroom... but in a game that just about anyone can play/buy? Meh. I know this won't change anything, but i think they crossed a line somewhere in the development stage of GTA. not to mention the absolutely unbelievable amount of profanity from everyone in the game. (less of a game criticism than a personal annoyance i guess...)

Overall, the game is amazing.

EDIT: My usual gripe for GTA games is the stupid effing safehouse only save method. I hate it so much, it's just such a pain in the ass imo.

EDIT 2: Is this the Sims or GTA? I get tired of having to 'entertain' my girlfriend/friends etc. I mean you don't seem to have to do it, but ffs, this isn't a game about 'building meaninful relationships' and having nice friendly bonding times over some beer. Sheesh....

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

haha about the radio stations, for some reason in previous GTA's i just put the country and western channel on, even though i have no real interest in that music i find it rather funny and good to sing along to :p

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

you dont have to take your girlfriend and friends out...but i would advise you take out some of them at least as after they like you 60-70% (depending on the character) you will get a special friend bonus

for instance Romans friend bonus is he sends out a cab to pick you up which will take you anywhere in the city for free (and quickly

i suggest you work up your friendship with dwayne, roman, brucie (helicopter version of romans) and LAWCHICK from the online dating agency

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

I understand that pin. It just annoys me when i'm running around gunning down cops/thugs/'bitches' and suddenly my cell phone goes off with my needy whiny friend who wants to go play pool. ****. just go play with yourself Roman you lazy slob.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Alcibiades said:
I understand that pin. It just annoys me when i'm running around gunning down cops/thugs/'bitches' and suddenly my cell phone goes off with my needy whiny friend who wants to go play pool. ****. just go play with yourself Roman you lazy slob.

i thought you didnt own a cellphone :/

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

atsanjose said:
Alcibiades said:

Ingame cellphone ;)... and i hate it for the very same reasons i hate real life cellphones :eek:

vlad

Harvester

Alcibiades said:
atsanjose said:
Alcibiades said:
I understand that pin. It just annoys me when i'm running around gunning down cops/thugs/'smeg-head' and suddenly my cell phone goes off with my needy whiny friend who wants to go play pool. smeg. just go play with yourself Roman you lazy slob.

Ingame cellphone ;)... and i hate it for the very same reasons i hate real life cellphones :eek:

Sarcasm is just wasted on some people.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

vlad said:
Alcibiades said:
atsanjose said:
Alcibiades said:
I understand that pin. It just annoys me when i'm running around gunning down cops/thugs/'smeg-head' and suddenly my cell phone goes off with my needy whiny friend who wants to go play pool. smeg. just go play with yourself Roman you lazy slob.

Sarcasm is just wasted on some people.

Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers ;)

Tapey

Weeder

Is there nething new in this game or is it stil the same old game with a dif charicter?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Tapey said:
Is there nething new in this game or is it stil the same old game with a dif charicter?

there are lots of new things. the main biggest change would be targetting and driving i think. There are a whole host of improvements that make the game amazing in general. I'm sure people have written either links/changes in the rest of this thread, so feel free to read it. ;)

Lupus

Head Gardener

my absolute fav still has to be GTA vice city, great game. Though GTA 4 is brilliant and the graphics are awesome