GTA IV

Treedude

Harvester
I can't believe there isn't a thread about this until now :eek:

Anyone seen some of the new features for the new game? It looks like it's gonna be an absolute beast (online especially), I can't wait to get my copy, although my playing will be somewhat restricted for a while til these blasted exams are done. Anyone played it yet? and how many people have it pre-ordered?

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Re: GTA IV

hell yeah!

only waiting for compu version :( and buying a new computer with it \o/

anyway, in our forums of our pub we have a thread from over a year old and with 400+ posts just about gta4 :D (and we have like 10 active members :p)

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

it sounds soooooo good from the wiki article I read. I haven't pre-ordered, I'm going to see if ASDA or Tescos have it in stock tomorrow. I'm disappointed that they haven't made a PC version of the game, so I bought myself a ps3 for that purpose.

Treedude

Harvester

Yeah I am a little baffled as to how there was no thread about what is widely thought is going to be the fastest selling game ever made :p Apparently it's got near perfect reviews so far so here's hoping it's as good as everyone thinks it will be.

I can't wait to try some of the online modes out, some of the gang warfare type games sound brilliant fun

Darryl

Head Gardener

Markb said:
I'm disappointed that they haven't made a PC version of the game, so I bought myself a ps3 for that purpose.

I'm extremely tempted to do the same, looking around for somewhere I can get one comparatively cheaply, and I've heard of many that are doing the same, this game is very good news for Sony.

Treedude

Harvester

Can i just ask why it's good news for Sony in particular? I mean the game is available on the xbox360 afterall, a cheaper console. I would have thought if you're getting a console for 1 game then the cheaper console is the one to go for :?

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

I got some other games with the ps3 (obviously) and got it for the blu-ray drive as I bought myself a new telly the same day. We've got a ps3, so I thought I ought to stick to the same company for consoles for consistancy (though it would have been better if Sony enabled ps2 emulation on the UK 40gb ps3s :()

Darryl

Head Gardener

Before the format war, I'd probably have gone for a 360, Treedude, but now that the overwhelming majority of movies and so on will be released on blu-ray, the extra cost of the ps3 in comparison to the 360 is worth it.

Treedude

Harvester

Makes sense I suppose, think Microsoft will have taken a hammering in terms of potential sales with the triumph of Blu-Ray over HD-DVD. If I could afford a TV big enough and expensive enough to make use of blu-ray quality i'd be annoyed at buying an xbox instead :p

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the game on the 2 consoles? I can't imagine why there would be, altho why is there no PC version?

Darryl

Head Gardener

Rockstar always (at least with GTA) release the PC version a lot later than the console versions, I'd hazard a guess that this is for two main reasons, piracy, and the higher sale value of console games. the "hot coffee" scandal probably didn't help too much either! :p

Tim

Harvester

Treedude said:
Does anyone know if there's any difference between the game on the 2 consoles? I can't imagine why there would be, altho why is there no PC version?

Rockstar have done a deal with Microsoft so that the XBox will get exclusive downloadable content. Don't know what form this will take yet though.

I was going to get the PS3 version but all my friends have 360s so I'm getting it for the 360 purely for the online play...

Darryl said:
the "hot coffee" scandal probably didn't help too much either!

I'd say that probably helped them more than hindered them. The GTA series breeds upon controversy. ;)

Treedude

Harvester

Just got back from a terrible exam, seeing GTA waiting for me with the post has gone someway to improving my mood tho :p /me gets fired into it

Bobbin

Head Gardener

got it, playing it, loving it.

Early on it seems pretty bog standard GTA stuff.. hopefully as time passes it will get to have alot of the newer stuff in it...

The driving is annoying me a little in this game though, but i bet I'll get used to it with time..

Tim

Harvester

I like the new driving style - it seems more realistic and easier to drive somewhere without crashing into everything.

Overall, pleasantly surprised at how similar to other recent GTAs it is, a bit frustrated that I have to learn a whole new map (!) but very pleased.

Treedude

Harvester

I think all the reviews you'll find will say pretty much the same thing, check the wiki page for it tho, pretty sure it has a load of reviews listed as sources

I agree with Tim, I like how it's fairly similar to the other games, it's just the little details combined with the sheer scope of the game that are making me think it's awesome. It's in depth without being overwhelming, and as always the storyline is very involving. Do agree that the driving takes some getting used to, still can't figure out how to take corners at any sort of speed without spinning out, suppose it might be easier in a better car, will have to keep playing to find out :p

Treedude

Harvester

Pfffh, only real gaming platform my arse :p

Back on topic, has anyone had much of a go on the online modes yet? I've just played the story, don't think my skills will get me anywhere online other than if I wanted to lose all the time. My most annoying control flaw at the moment is I keep pressing the button to leap from the car because I think thats the handbrake for some reason, think I played too much Need For Speed, god damn muscle memory :p