51 awards discussions

CLem

Head Gardener
I don't think player (singular) can be blamed for this, it is a mentality thing and it is definitely not something that an ingame mechanics can help (like people say increase attack range, etc...no that would make competitive play even more draining than now).

And this is where I think Toby is getting to, not everyone wants to commit full time to this game and want to be contactable, however the way of training for easy land means there is no middle ground to play as an alliance, either play competitively or inactive. So unless people are aware of this, all mediocore alliances will die out and you have a bigger void to bridge...

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
the reason for the dwindling playerbase is these forums.

people constantly bringing the game down, people constantly whining and every other post is a personal insult rather than sticking to ingame stuff.

stop acting like this game owes you something and war / fight with people ingame if you're all that butthurt you died.

Most players don't use forums. Also, if you look more carefully I specifically noted that there are countless reasons why people quit, but that the one I mentioned was an important one. There is no such thing as "THE" reason people quit. It is far more complicated than that.

I'm an inactive solo and don't care what anyone does to me ingame. Advocating some sense of decency from all players in the game towards all the other players in the game does not equate to me being a whinger or that I'm butthurt.

Please spend some more time thinking of some more reasonable responses and get back to me whenever you can.

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
Toby you are living in a dreamworld mate.

Come on, give yourself at least some credit, you're clutching at straws if you actually think someone is going to hold off attacking, i don't know any game where that happens and i have played too many to count. They thrive with players still coming in.

so maybe we should start to look at the community rather than anything that happens in game, that's me done on this matter, enjoy the rest of your round as i am done with Bush.

BabyMaker

Weeder
everyone has been in low ranked allies before and knows what they normally endure, this however was something completely different. Before the inevitable shoutdown I will add that given the sheer number of rounds i have been playing this game, I am as qualified as any to comment on what is normal.

I have to agree with this. Non-ftw alliances get massive respect from me these days. With so few alliances, basically if you are not ftw you are going to get bashed non-stop by the other alliances from round start to finish. It takes a great attitude to stick it out and not either quit or shipjump to one of the "competitive" alliances.

And Spike - yes, you can ask for a day off. It's called sportsmanship. It's just a shame that plenty of people in the game have none.

I also concur, this round was the worst alliance round I've ever played which eventually lead me to go solo. It is not because of the alliance members, but the fact that every time you think you can breath, some stupid train will come and try to land rape you, you stop one and they just come back with a bigger one.

It is mentally far too draining and gives me no motivation to plant to defend /attack to try and grow. I think this round was more pronounced given for a long time rank 2 and 3 didn't hit each other...over half a round of either Asc + BW not hitting each other cause they are resisting or BW + SP not hitting each other because BW played the hope card for a potential resistance.

im not sure if you were watching this round but the only reason we (BW) never hit asc was because asc wasnt a threat at the time. SP was on top and we were at war with them for weeks before we finally toppled them. and once we bashed sp into sleep mode. we waited a day to see if sp would be in a 1 or 3 day sleep. once a day passed and we knew they were in a 3 day sleep we cntemplated on what we would do. but before we could decide asc planted up and hit us. we defended pretty good, but then we decided to hit them after they hit us and failed horribly( largely on my part as i went uc after we sent a hit on them and got zeroed because i didnt recall). it was downhill from there. we were UC and tired from SP battle and defense failed and we got bashed into the ground. then SP came out of sleep after 3 days and hit us immediately instead of trying to team up with a resistance and take out asc( so all this talk about BW failing to do a proper resistance due to petty feelings is false. SP were the ones who threw away that key when they came out of sleep and bashed us when asc was cleary running away with the top spot) then after SP failed attempt at bringing asc down they asked us for help at which point we were contempt at doing our own thing and also the spy thing. so we stalled talks so we could build up, whilst asc hit SP in that epic battle but SP lost out, so we joined in and hit them and now they are ranked 3.
I think thats a good description on what happened this round. ive been drinking and may have missed some points, but i believe im correct.

Timmiejj

Pruner
2 things on this:

1. SpiderPig was way too cocky when they came out of sleep, they had figured for themselves: We'll landfarm BW, come out of it with more land than Asc and pwn Asc easy peasy. the latter didnt apply though and in hindsight SP shouldve made a different choice, but what happened happened.

2. The whole not wanting to play resistance later on with SP, no one has pointed out the 1 relevant and 'fair' reason we did not make a resistance effort.

Being that we simply werent able to handle another war, i dont know why but the bashing down by Asc/SP had a pretty big impact on some people, we had to replace 1 or 2 instantly cuz they just said: oh i got killed, round over, BYE!. many others went inactive and decided to become a lot less contactable. Ever since then its been kind of a 10 man show in our ally where the ally mostly relies on these 10 people being there and saving people from dying.

i like wars but when its a coin-flip whether half of your ally is going to come on when there's mass inc or not kinda makes it so that you'd rather avoid that war

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Come on, give yourself at least some credit, you're clutching at straws if you actually think someone is going to hold off attacking, i don't know any game where that happens and i have played too many to count. They thrive with players still coming in.

so maybe we should start to look at the community rather than anything that happens in game, that's me done on this matter, enjoy the rest of your round as i am done with Bush.

Maybe I am clutching at straws to hope that people will do things which don't directly gain them anything simply for the good of the game. I can be pretty naive like that.

Bushtarion is bushtarion, not those other games. What works for them does not necessarily work for bushtarion. Stick to the matter at hand rather than using un-named examples which are utterly irrelevant.

People do hold off attacking if they think an alliance has been targetted too much. I have done it. Many people I have played with have done it. Just because you haven't done it doesn't mean other people don't. You're assuming everyone in this game thinks the same way you do, and thankfully that isn't true.

On many occasions in my alliances this conversation has occurred:

player 1: Who fancies an attack?
player 2: Me. Who shall we attack?
player 1: We could hit Discworld again.
player 2: Nah, we've been hitting them loads recently. Let's try someone else.

The problem these days is that with so few options it ultimately results in one alliance getting hit over and over. You don't think you can hit anyone else because there isn't anyone else, which makes it a vicious circle, and it just gets progressively worse for the alliance who keep getting hit until they decide to just give up. People will only play as long as the game is fun. If all they're doing is getting bashed 24/7 and have no time or troops to do anything else then why bother?

If it gets bad enough that an alliance is asking you to give them a break, I suggest you do as they ask. They will be immensely grateful, you'll do your own reputation some good, and you will help keep this game alive a bit longer.

Nobody would ask if they weren't really struggling, and if you just keep hitting them despite that, you'll have only yourself to blame when they inevitably quit. Not that you'll take any responsibility for that, of course. It's all my fault for insulting people on forums.

BabyMaker

Weeder
2 things on this:

1. SpiderPig was way too cocky when they came out of sleep, they had figured for themselves: We'll landfarm BW, come out of it with more land than Asc and pwn Asc easy peasy. the latter didnt apply though and in hindsight SP shouldve made a different choice, but what happened happened.

2. The whole not wanting to play resistance later on with SP, no one has pointed out the 1 relevant and 'fair' reason we did not make a resistance effort.

Being that we simply werent able to handle another war, i dont know why but the bashing down by Asc/SP had a pretty big impact on some people, we had to replace 1 or 2 instantly cuz they just said: oh i got killed, round over, BYE!. many others went inactive and decided to become a lot less contactable. Ever since then its been kind of a 10 man show in our ally where the ally mostly relies on these 10 people being there and saving people from dying.

i like wars but when its a coin-flip whether half of your ally is going to come on when there's mass inc or not kinda makes it so that you'd rather avoid that war

this is also true, i think we replaced like 5 or 6 members total in like 2 weeks because we were getting bashed , and a few other including myself went UC (i went on a 9 day vacation end of december). Us being butthurt about sp hitting us had little to do to us not starting a resistance unlike what you may all think. the biggest factor was we were worn out and UC because it was the holidays as i previously said. any attempt at a resistance would have failed due to people being UC.

BabyMaker

Weeder

Maybe I am clutching at straws to hope that people will do things which don't directly gain them anything simply for the good of the game. I can be pretty naive like that.

Bushtarion is bushtarion, not those other games. What works for them does not necessarily work for bushtarion. Stick to the matter at hand rather than using un-named examples which are utterly irrelevant.

People do hold off attacking if they think an alliance has been targetted too much. I have done it. Many people I have played with have done it. Just because you haven't done it doesn't mean other people don't. You're assuming everyone in this game thinks the same way you do, and thankfully that isn't true.

On many occasions in my alliances this conversation has occurred:

player 1: Who fancies an attack?
player 2: Me. Who shall we attack?
player 1: We could hit Discworld again.
player 2: Nah, we've been hitting them loads recently. Let's try someone else.

The problem these days is that with so few options it ultimately results in one alliance getting hit over and over. You don't think you can hit anyone else because there isn't anyone else, which makes it a vicious circle, and it just gets progressively worse for the alliance who keep getting hit until they decide to just give up. People will only play as long as the game is fun. If all they're doing is getting bashed 24/7 and have no time or troops to do anything else then why bother?

If it gets bad enough that an alliance is asking you to give them a break, I suggest you do as they ask. They will be immensely grateful, you'll do your own reputation some good, and you will help keep this game alive a bit longer.

Nobody would ask if they weren't really struggling, and if you just keep hitting them despite that, you'll have only yourself to blame when they inevitably quit. Not that you'll take any responsibility for that, of course. It's all my fault for insulting people on forums.

this has been said as well, specifically by Cyrus if i may say so. After bashing SI for a extended period I said im gonna lay off them because its not cool to bash a ally in the ground. And cyrus agreed that it "makes us looks like dicks" to keep bashing a alliance. Dont be quick to judge, we did bash but we also let off them because it wasnt very cool to bash a obvious UC ally into the ground. so we are not as cold hearted as you may think. we did lay of of SI a few times (most of us at least, lower ranks still hit them).

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
The point is, if you were genuinely any good, you wouldn't need mass attacks or trains to land on SI. Also, I still have applicable targets even at my score - So there's no shortage of other alliances or even solos - But that would involve the ol' grey matter eh?

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
It boils down to cyrus doesn't like me so a couple posts is the hyperbole 'always'. He goes so far out on a limb to try and denigrate me that his reasons and reasoning can't make any semblance of sense.

Time to let this end so he can go back to eating paste in a corner. He's already argued both sides with himself, so the rest of the conversation can be by himself.

Stargazer

Tree Surgeon
You know the savage thing is I would specially target a ally that has been hit hard so more likely to land.

All I care about is land not feelings,I'll sit and play with 50 bots if all th players leave idgaf

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
how people get so wound up about this baffles me, pass round a zoot and chill the ducking smell out

Because in most cases the people involved in the spouting of pure rubbish are retarded, my good man.

* Player of the Round - Solo - Shronock was always a challenge to land on, at his height in the round I simply couldn't beat him!

Usually Max is a benign creature, but in this case I feel quite irritated - Anybody can send pure CG to an ID picked from a hat for easy land (I did it in R40-something in Jukebox, but at least I hounded alliances with them), but to judge a solo on their ability to stop a pure CG player in the R1 alliance attacking constantly at +2 doesn't necessarily make them brilliant at playing solo. Not that this is to take anything away from what Shronock achieved, it's just an observation that you can't judge a solo on that alone.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
* Worst Player -
Brandon. Learn to set a freaking alarm man. How many times did you suicide? 5? 6? In a FTW alliance that's just not acceptable.

Where have you been? People ALWAYS suicide in a rank 1 alliance?

Timmiejj

Pruner
Last round we had reaper suicide on attacks atleast 30 times, at some point you just get past it and watch it happen over and over and laugh about it :p

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
People suicide every round in a rank 1 alliance. It's boring just sitting there doing nothing. Some want a BR, even if they get raped.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
true, there are always suicidal peoples, but brandon will suicide while you're at war and trying to win. he's not a rock, he's a millstone. he deserves his current 'accolades'.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Yeah I guess, I know that from the Adra round, before I left.

Suiciding when your at war is poor and you deserve to be shifted for someone reliable. But suiciding when you won is just normal.