'Xbox One'

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Oh hell, I won't buy it - I'm just explaining the advances of technology that it employs. I can spend £400 and build a power tower that could accomplish far more than this Microsoft malarkey, on top of all this non-loaning and back compatibility BS. It is without shadow of a doubt more impressive than the PlayToaster is going to muster - Sony make TV's, they are not innovators of software in the league the Microsoft are, unfortunately.

I find myself in disagreement, good sir.

Sony are perfectly capable of releasing something as technically powerful in terms of the spec of the machine.

The success of their next platform will hinge on a few things:

1.) The online experience - The Sony PS3 was as good, hardware wise (if not better) than the 360. It didn't lose the console battle based on hardware. It lost out because, despite being free, PS3's online experience was vastly inferior to Xbox Live. If they can address this issue in the next console war, they're in with a fighting chance of winning, imo.

2.) Whether they will follow suit with Microsoft's strategy in attempting to disembowel the 2nd hand games market. Sony have a real chance here to be seen as the "good guys". If they reject Microsoft's attempt to monopolize the 2nd hand games market they could quite easily garner a great deal of public support. (From a wide spectrum of gamers - Younger gamers who don't have £40 to shell out on a brand new title. Anyone who has a few friends they regularly swap games with. The Highstreet - hell, this is going to mean full on war from the remaining game retailers out there. This is going to cut massively into their profits. Which console do you think they're going to be promoting hardest come release date?) ((If, and I know this is a big if, PS4 steer clear of Microsoft's strategy. They may not.))

I think they've underestimated the number of people who either like being able to borrow their friends games or visit their local high street to pick up "3 for £15" 2nd hand game deals. (That type of thing).

3.) Price. The Xbox One, with its mandatory Kinect bundle, is going to be expensive. The PS4 isn't going to bundle a mandatory extra that will add at least £100 to the price of the Xbox One (if original Kinect prices are anything to go by).

The PS4, then, has an excellent opportunity to quite substantially undercut its nemesis here.

If both consoles were released tomorrow and the price different was Kinect - it'd be a no brainer for me which I should choose. There are going to be so many people who will opt for the PS4 if its cheaper because, if they're anything like me, they'll have a real problem paying hard earned cash for Kinect when they have no intention of using it.

-

TL;DR - Don't write off the PS4. Microsoft have ****ed up adequately enough for PS4 to arrive the White Knight. If it is cheaper and boasts similar/better hardware specs (and, importantly, doesn't attempt to squish the 2nd hand games market) then I think it's in with an excellent chance this time around.

The only way they'd **** this up is having a higher RRP despite not bundling an extra while backing Microsoft's gutting of the 2nd hand games market. I can't see them doing either.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Good points made (even though I still won't buy either), but I was pointing at software being the differential - Nothing else :p

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
3.) Price. The Xbox One, with its mandatory Kinect bundle, is going to be expensive. The PS4 isn't going to bundle a mandatory extra that will add at least £100 to the price of the Xbox One (if original Kinect prices are anything to go by).

The PS4, then, has an excellent opportunity to quite substantially undercut its nemesis here.

If both consoles were released tomorrow and the price different was Kinect - it'd be a no brainer for me which I should choose. There are going to be so many people who will opt for the PS4 if its cheaper because, if they're anything like me, they'll have a real problem paying hard earned cash for Kinect when they have no intention of using it.

This. This is something I cannot understand. How may "real" gamers actually want to use a Kinect? As far as I can see it is no more than a glorified Wii, and the Wii was for kiddies and their parents. It has other uses too, but nothing I couldn't do without. Voice recognition? I'd rather just use my controller, thanks.

Making it mandatory is such a bad idea. If any accessory should've been sold separately, it is that. Now if I was going to be buying an xbox I'd be paying £100 for something I'm never going to use, and as you say, that does not sit well with me.

I think I'm going for a PS4 already, without even having seen the thing.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Sony are perfectly capable of releasing something as technically powerful in terms of the spec of the machine.
PS4 specs
XBox One specs

The Sony PS3 was as good, hardware wise (if not better) than the 360. It didn't lose the console battle based on hardware. It lost out because, despite being free, PS3's online experience was vastly inferior to Xbox Live. If they can address this issue in the next console war, they're in with a fighting chance of winning, imo.
PS3 lost the 'war'?
Looks like the tortoise wins the race, even with a 1 year late start.
But really, I'd just call it a draw.
And i reckon this new gen will be a pretty even match again, which is great for the consumer.

[Ninja-7]

Head Gardener
iGpVCeVzdBTUf.gif

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I would just like to add, I was given the Kinect for FREE, and I've used it.... once. And it sucks. That is a big PITA that it's bundled in. Should be free to smash by users when they need to unwind.

Steve_God

Official Helper
I would just like to add, I was given the Kinect for FREE, and I've used it.... once. And it sucks. That is a big PITA that it's bundled in. Should be free to smash by users when they need to unwind.
To throw my 2 pence in on the subject, I actually bought a Kinect for my 360 shortly after it came out.

For me, the Mrs wanted to buy a Wii for fitness stuff - so rather than pay for a whole new console (Wii's were still going for £250ish around that time), it was a much cheaper option to get the Kinect (around £120 when I got it).

Some of the games for it are really good (only had 1 game that was really badly programmed) and if you've already got an xBox, as an alternative to buying a seperate Wii it's great!
Had that not been the case, I wouldn't have bothered though.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
To throw my 2 pence in on the subject, I actually bought a Kinect for my 360 shortly after it came out.

For me, the Mrs wanted to buy a Wii for fitness stuff - so rather than pay for a whole new console (Wii's were still going for £250ish around that time), it was a much cheaper option to get the Kinect (around £120 when I got it).

Some of the games for it are really good (only had 1 game that was really badly programmed) and if you've already got an xBox, as an alternative to buying a seperate Wii it's great!
Had that not been the case, I wouldn't have bothered though.

I'm not as patient as you then! I got it a while ago though and can't even remember what games I was playing. Either way, you're totally right in that it's probably a smarter choice than a Wii. But, I don't much care for the Wii either ;)

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Some games for the kinect are worth having though and are good fun, like the kinect adventures.

Probably the only game I'd consider getting for the kinect :p

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator
Some games for the kinect are worth having though and are good fun, like the kinect adventures.

I've found all of the kinect games dull and boring if I'm honest, even the mars rover landing for kinect was horrible! :p.

I already know 3 people that have put down a £100 deposit for the new xbox, personally, I'm not going to bother, I'll just test out their console before even considering it, as I find paying ~£400 absolutely ridiculous for something which is going to drop in price almost instantly lol.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

I've found all of the kinect games dull and boring if I'm honest, even the mars rover landing for kinect was horrible! :p.

I already know 3 people that have put down a £100 deposit for the new xbox, personally, I'm not going to bother, I'll just test out their console before even considering it, as I find paying ~£400 absolutely ridiculous for something which is going to drop in price almost instantly lol.

There is that too. I have just totally drifted away from my console playing habits. Having played many games on both PC and Xbox... I have to admit to enjoying the PC versions. (Borderlands 2 is a great example, I absolutely hated it on Xbox, but it's phenomenal on PC).

I know PC isn't for everyone, but... yeah I'm out.

Benjai

Weeder
I still don't see what they have done to it that would warrant anyone going out to spend thousands of dollars to get one when most of the features it now has, the PS3 has now... Wow, new graphics, and you can watch t.v. through it.... I can also watch t.v. through the t.v. I'm using to run it..... Little redundant is it not?