'Xbox One'

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I don't necessarily believe that it should die out- there will always be a market for people who don't want to have to get a PC and Steam/Origin to play a game. They will prefer the box that just allows them to play a game.

What annoys me is profiteering by these companies in the form of not releasing certain games or engines on a PC to try to sell more consoles and then essentially releasing new version of the console which essentially introduce more elements of a PC.

It's one of the reasons I'd never get a Playstation or an xBox. At least Nintendo are innovative in their new consoles/handhelds and bring something different to the table.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
I used to only get console to play certain games with a controller on my telly because it "felt" more right (games like ff7 etc). But with the size of modern day monitors and being able to plug in xbox controllers fairly easily and games being compatible with using them, I see no point to buy a console when my PC can do it all and more.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
all the console wars and microtransactions from ea/origin and at times valve/steam is why i like to fire up older games like wasteland (father/mother to the fallout series) or starflight and live happy with complete engrossing games.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Haha, that gave me a giggle MattM.

-

I was appalled by the press conference. Mainly for the following reasons:

1.) I do not like, nor do I want, Kinect. Simple. Thus, by bundling Kinect with "One" as a mandatory extra I am automatically paying for something I do not want. That is probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make selling anything - forcing the consumer to pay for an extra they know they won't use.

Also - Why the fudge call your console "One" (pointing to the console as an "all-in-one" device) but then include two separate devices? Mind-boggling.

2.) Tying game purchases to xbox live account. It has been confirmed, last I checked, that you must install a game to the hard drive (which is, importantly, only 500gb) and from that point on the disc cannot be used on another machine without paying a fee.

That means no borrowing your games to friends/family. It means you can't buy 2nd hand games without having to make an additional purchase to activate it via xbox live.

The reason for this is pure and simple: Greed. Microsoft, like EA (-> Online passes) have decided they're not happy with the billions generated through first-time game sales. No. They want to get their claws into the re-sale market. They want to destroy the idea of being able to borrow a friend a game.

Buying a game the first time around - at an already quite expensive price - is no longer enough for Microsoft. £40 a year subscription for Xbox Live is no longer enough for Microsoft. The huge amounts generated by DLC is no longer enough for Microsoft.

Up until now this has been just about bearable in the form EA have operated things. You buy a 2nd hand game and miss out on a few features of the game (namely online play, in most instances).

Importantly - Microsoft have gone one further. You can't play the game at all without paying a fee. The fee hasn't been discussed yet but there's been indications it could be anything up to the full price of the game.

3.) No backwards compatibility. /facepalm (Presumably because Xbox 360 games can't be force-tied to the Xbox One in the way new titles can. Meaning developers will continue to work on Xbox 360 titles and, probably, will release the same game for both One AND 360 (in much the same way as many developers kept releasing the same titles for PS2 and PS3). Not enough money in that!

4.) It looks near on the same as an Xbox elite. No originality in the thought behind the design. Its yet another, rather ugly, black box. Only with a peripheral that you also need to find space for.

5.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

-

TL;DR - Microsoft has been making less and less from its conventional revenue streams (Windows 8 hasn't exactly been flying off the shelves) and is looking to balance that by raping its Xbox brand for all its worth.

[edit] Kotaku Interview: (Source)

Microsoft Corp VP Phil Harrison said:
But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.
"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.
"Let's assume its a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

Last edited:

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
It pretty much puts meat on the bones of all my gripes on greed in an industry only seeking to *******ize fun.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I waited for CoD, expecting amazing things, then I was left down-heartened. Think I'll stick with my 360 and MW3/BO2 till the Xbox one goes down in price, along with the games.

Every Call of Duty game has been worse than the one before it. BO2 was a passable game, and not totally crappier than the one before it but it's hardly a genre busting game. CoD should never ever be the benchmark game for a system. Ever.

Also, the Xbox One looks pretty nifty, but I haven't really played my 360 in months except for the occasional spurt of gaming here and there. Nothing really manages to draw my attention on consoles anymore that PCs can't do better. I will not be going out and getting one, that's for sure, but it looks pretty cool. That being said, Microsoft seems to think I'm made of money and can afford tons of extra payments. Soooooo, yeah.

Also, PS... blech.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
There are always people who think the "next gen" should have virtual reality goggles and total immersion sexual fantasy games and integrated beer-cooling storage facilities, but seriously, it is just a games console.

I'm still waiting for this.

But I think they need to provide an actual all-in-one home entertainment system if they want to market it as that. That means DVD/Blu-ray capability. A big HDD with twin HD tuners for simultaneous TV recording, while playing games. Video input. In other words it replaces your HDD recorder fully. Also, ability to record gameplay/screenshots will bode well with many I'm sure, and then include sharing options (like Facebook/YouTube stuff).
And provide two versions. The gaming system, and the all-in-one home entertainment system. So you don't push people away who just want a gaming machine a bit cheaper.

All that and better graphics. I myself don't care much for the other stuff. The PS2 was just PS One with much better graphics, and that's all it needed to be.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
The PS2 was just PS One with much better graphics, and that's all it needed to be.

That's true. You get the feeling that people think a "next gen" console should be a huge leap in terms of what it can do, but sometimes that isn't possible.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I watched the release video, and I must say it has taken massive leaps forward. PS are in no position to challenge the 64x architectural makeup design (unless they were to team up with Apple) - And now Windows is finally integrated into Xbox O/S, it has become a beast unto itself. The system itself is fantastic, but the game element of industrial greed is just going to put me off of purchasing it.
Just to help those less technologically minded, 64x is capable of theoretically being more creatively expansive than the human brain. The limitation is obviously the 8GB of RAM (I still thought anything less than 32 would be a kop-out), but 8 is still a lot more than 0.512.

Also, Halo TV series FTW.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
May I also add, I just downloaded and installed SmartGlass, and it's simply fantastic. Innovation like this rewards me for picking Xbox all those years ago. Where I never used to really get involved in Xbox/PS fanboy debates, I am now officially converted.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I watched the release video, and I must say it has taken massive leaps forward. PS are in no position to challenge the 64x architectural makeup design (unless they were to team up with Apple) - And now Windows is finally integrated into Xbox O/S, it has become a beast unto itself. The system itself is fantastic, but the game element of industrial greed is just going to put me off of purchasing it.
Just to help those less technologically minded, 64x is capable of theoretically being more creatively expansive than the human brain. The limitation is obviously the 8GB of RAM (I still thought anything less than 32 would be a kop-out), but 8 is still a lot more than 0.512.

Also, Halo TV series FTW.

i am not trying say all this is in anyway insignificant, I seriously don't understand, but...
what is great about integration with Windows?
and what does this 64 bit nonsense even mean? You say theoretically, but what is realistic? To me, that's like saying we have a file system that can support 1000 TB of data, but that doesn't mean you get 1000 TB, even in the next 20 years. Enlighten me please.

btw, i don't pay halo (only a bit with friends) but a TV series could be pretty wicked.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
64x architecture allows for the use of more RAM than 32x (can only handle up to approximately 4GB). The integration of Windows substantially expands what we all recognise a games console can do. It technically becomes a limited PC system. It's mostly to handle the media elements of the console (the neat Kinect interaction is based on the touch input interaction of W8, for example).
Regarding 64x, your point is valid. However, it was just a statement as to the possibilities of 64x. It's actually a huge technological breakthrough (although it's not a 'new' thing anymore), and it has changed the limits of computing not just for gaming, but for simply everything you would use a system for.
I'd fully explain 64x, but I'm on my phone - But I'll give an easy-to-digest explanation if nobody else has done by the time I'm home tomorrow.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
A 64-bit register can store 2^64 (over 18 quintillion) different values. Hence, a processor with 64-bit memory addresses can directly access 2^64 bytes (=16 exbibytes) of byte-addressable memory.

Obviously 32x is 2^32, which would be approximately 4GB of memory processing space.

First paragraph is courtesy of Wiki. There are a tonne of other advantages to 64x, but it would take forever to explain it.

Max

Garden Designer
How did they accomplish such an extra-ordinary feat I wonder :O

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Im yet to hear anything that makes me want to buy it ...

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Oh hell, I won't buy it - I'm just explaining the advances of technology that it employs. I can spend £400 and build a power tower that could accomplish far more than this Microsoft malarkey, on top of all this non-loaning and back compatibility BS. It is without shadow of a doubt more impressive than the PlayToaster is going to muster - Sony make TV's, they are not innovators of software in the league the Microsoft are, unfortunately.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Oh, i didn't realise it was in reference to 64 bit processing which is pretty much standard in computers these days. It sounded like it mustve been something new. From what i know of 64bit computing is that, yeah you can use more RAM (limit is actually closer to 3.6 GB from my experience), and it basically allows for more efficient computing? If I recall correctly, 'addresses' are longer and thus you take up more RAM, than the 32 bit equivalent, although this difference is generally pretty small...

But I decided to visit wiki

CPU: 8 core 64 bit
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Some kind of Radeon HD 7000 Series theoretically capable of 1.23 TFlops.

And apparently it can support 4k. Which is pretty useless to 99.999% of people who will buy this over the next 10 years. There are just a few issues like:
you need to spend a bazillion dollars on a 4k tv.
Find something 4k to play. Games are out of the question.
Is that blu-ray drive gonna spin fast enough to read an UHD format?
Also, current HDMI can only support UHD at 24 frames per second, ugh. And will i need a top notch cable for that? i.e. expensive? I've used el' cheapo cables that couldn't support 1080p.

i mean, if they are just saying "it's possible", yeah great, whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony say the same.

And speaking of Sony, they seem to also be using an 8 core 64bit processor, rather than using a cell processor again. I guess we won't see much cluster computing with the ps4 as we did for the ps3. Also, this would mean the ps4 could not natively support previous generation games.

I do wonder why they don't do more to provide emulation capabilities. Sony haven't ruled it out, but I won't be surprised if they do. But I think it's clever what they've done with the ps3. They trimmed the fat, stripped away non important bits (slot loading, additional usb ports, polished finish). It's gonna be their next ps2, which is the best selling console of all time. So i should be able to replace my ps3 6 years down the track.

I also wonder how prices will compare when the consoles are released. The consoles seem more matched in specs this time round. Although Kinect will put price up as might ps4 GPU which seems to have better stats going for it.