What are the last 3 books you have read?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Re: What are the last 3 books you have read?

Harbinger said:
hmmm surprised at f0xx's post, considering the unequalled literary heritage of Bulgaria :lol:

I was going to write a nasty quote involving Nazis and book burnings in the first half of the 20th century but that'd be just boorish of me ;)

i've started reading 'No Country for Old Men' by Cormac McCarthy, the book that was the basis for the movie; and i'm reading 'At the Sharp End', the first volume of a book about Canadian soldiers/Corps in WWI.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

Harbinger said:
hmmm surprised at f0xx's post, considering the unequalled literary heritage of Bulgaria :lol:

That is true actually, we do have quite a literary heritage, unlike some other countries who have been existing for like 200 years :p

Alcibiades said:
I was going to write a nasty quote involving Nazis and book burnings in the first half of the 20th century but that'd be just boorish of me ;)

The Nazis never burned anything in Bulgaria, we were on their side in WW2, it was the allied forces that bombarded Sofia, besides, Bulgaria and its literature has survived 200 years under Byzantine slavery and 500 years under Ottoman slavery, do you think that a mere bombardment can even do a scratch to our literary heritage? :)

I don't like reading books becuase I find it unefficient. They take way too much time for the times we live in. I can learn hundreds times more from watching channel like discovery and national geographic, not to mention that watching a film takes 2 hours and reading a book takes much more.

Just my 2 stotinkas :)

Harbinger

Pruner

f0xx said:
I don't like reading books becuase I find it unefficient. They take way too much time for the times we live in. I can learn hundreds times more from watching channel like discovery and national geographic, not to mention that watching a film takes 2 hours and reading a book takes much more.

Just my 2 stotinkas :)

I agree there are many ways you can learn about the world, history, geography, other than books. But literature isn't just about knowledge, it's about expression, escapism, emotion, creativity - and a unique insight into the mind of the author.

And it helps you to spell words correctly, like inefficient :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Harbinger said:
I agree there are many ways you can learn about the world, history, geography, other than books. But literature isn't just about knowledge, it's about expression, escapism, emotion, creativity - and a unique insight into the mind of the author.

And it helps you to spell words correctly, like inefficient :p

My thoughts exactly. I probably couldn't have put it much better myself :D

Garrett

Landscape Designer

Alcibiades said:
and i'm reading 'At the Sharp End', the first volume of a book about Canadian soldiers/Corps in WWI.

canadia has troops other than mounties??

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Garrett said:
Alcibiades said:
and i'm reading 'At the Sharp End', the first volume of a book about Canadian soldiers/Corps in WWI.

canadia has troops other than mounties??

Yep and they were recognized as the best by both sides of the war :D

rooney

Head Gardener

Brisngr - christopher paolini
Eldest - christopher paolini
Eragon - christopher paolini

:p

the 1st 2 were amazing. Brisingr was a massive let down though. seems like it could have been done in 400 pages instead of 800, and few of the many questions were answered :/

but aside from that series i read wyrd sisters by terry pratchett and harry potter VII

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator

rooney said:

the 1st 2 were amazing. Brisingr was a massive let down though. seems like it could have been done in 400 pages instead of 800, and few of the many questions were answered :/
i have to agree with you there, i bought the book still under the impression the series was only going to be a trilogy, so was massively let down as i got close to the end and saw no end in sight
but hey, looking forward to the next one then :D
assuming there is a next one....

Saints

Harvester

Halo The Fall of Reach- eric nylund
Halo the flood- William C. Dietz
Halo First Strike- Eric Nylund
Halo ghost of onyx- Eric Nylund

next i plan to read Halo Contact Harvest- Joseph Staten

ive loved the books and the game and just found out about the halo movie, but i went up to uni before i could read the last so wont be able to for a while now, but i love the books

LadyDarkAngel

Harvester

Gomorra by Roberto Saviano
(a shocking insight into the Camorra)

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
(one of the best books I have read in years)

World Without End by Ken Follett
(liked this book so much, I also bought and read Pillars of the Earth by him, which precedes WWE - although it doesn't actually have to be read beforehand)

Chezz

Harvester

Saints said:
Halo The Fall of Reach- eric nylund
Halo the flood- William C. Dietz
Halo First Strike- Eric Nylund
Halo ghost of onyx- Eric Nylund

next i plan to read Halo Contact Harvest- Joseph Staten

ive loved the books and the game and just found out about the halo movie, but i went up to uni before i could read the last so wont be able to for a while now, but i love the books

Rather obvious, looking at your profile avatar, eh? :D

Forwyn

Pruner

Brisingr
World War Z
The Odyssey

hawkes

Weeder

galaxy in flames, 3rd horus heresy book

heldenhammer, the first in the legend of sigmar books

intresting times, about the 17th discworld book and my favorite so far, but that may be because its the one im reading at moment

rooney

Head Gardener

Ogluk said:
rooney said:

i have to agree with you there, i bought the book still under the impression the series was only going to be a trilogy, so was massively let down as i got close to the end and saw no end in sight
but hey, looking forward to the next one then :D
assuming there is a next one....

it wasnt just that that dissappointed me. i also thought it was nowhere near as good as the others. he seemed to drown the story in details a little bit imo.