Samsung Galaxy SIII

Steve_God

Official Helper
Sounds kind of like a no brainer when you put it like that. :)
It pretty much is ;)

The only actual advantage that the iPhone has (in my view), is that it will 'always' be that little bit sharper and more responsive to user input, due to the way that the iOS is coded.
(Without going into too much detail, whenever you put your finger on the screen, is stops all processing and shifts all resources to the graphics and user interface to give the slicker than slick experience. Whereas Android will continue to do other things in the background - there is an example online somewhere, where someone with an iPhone goes to load a webpage, then touches the screen to move it around, and the page just doesn't load at all because it's stopped the process, and is using everything it's got to make the graphics be perfect for where the finger is moving around the screen)

Steve_God

Official Helper
You can also get make your phone a wifi hotspot with root access (only really recommend using this if you have unlimited data)
You can also do that without rooting (have done on my original SGS and my new HTC).

With regard to backing up software, there are several good free apps that don't require rooting that will back-up SMS's / Call Logs / Apps / Bookmarks / etc... albeit individually.
But yeah, if you root it there are even more options available to you - that said, for me, I went from rooting my SGS all the time with custom ROMs, to now not feeling like i need to root my new device as I'm happy with it, and I've found alternatives to the apps that required rooting to work.
(Plus, my Barclays PingIt app has a security feature that doesn't allow it to run on a rooted device due to potential security risk)

Yeadon

Harvester
Get an android phone.

Don't get a HTC windows phone whatever you do. Can't play words with friends or draw something.

:(

You made the same mistake that I did by the sounds of it.

I will be bagging the GSIII in the next few weeks. I have read everything there is to know about the handset and if size is not an issue, this is the phone to have at this current time by a substantial margin.

Yes, quad core is not neccesary at this time but if there is a sudden need for it the baby is always there ;/

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
So the phone was released today and I'm going to the store tomorrow to play around with both the Samsung and HTC... (not sexually)

I will come back with my verdict tomorrow and inform which I have purachased :)

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
So more than 10m Pre orders were made worldwide...

Spoke with Vodafone who told me they aren't selling phones to anyone without a pre order for another 4-6 weeks...So I put my order in and can expect it Friday he said (whilst having an orgasm because I got him a deal...commission?)

Steve_God

Official Helper
So the phone was released today and I'm going to the store tomorrow to play around with both the Samsung and HTC... (not sexually)

I will come back with my verdict tomorrow...
So seeing you've gone for the SGS3, just wondered how you thought the HTC One X compared, and what made you go for the SGS3 over it?

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon

I will come back with my verdict tomorrow...
So seeing you've gone for the SGS3, just wondered how you thought the HTC One X compared, and what made you go for the SGS3 over it?

To keep it brief, it was just purely awesome. It took 1 day to be ordered, dispatched, delivered and arrive at my chosen store.

It is extremely quick, the camera is insane, I love the sharing ability with other SGS3 users and it looks sexy. The HTC for me personally just didn't seem my kinda phone. I asked many people, including experts stating the SGS3 is much preferred over the HTC. The HTC just doesn't have the performance edge