Samsung Galaxy SIII

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
So I can upgrade as of May 30th, the day after the New Galaxy S3 comes out and was checking to see if anyone else is considering this phone and/or their views about it.

I'm extremely excited because I was set on getting the iPhone 4S until this came.

Views?

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I ended up getting the iPhone 4S recently instead of the new HTC or Samsung... honestly... I don't like it. I much prefer how my HTC operated and the interface. The iPhone is too limiting on what you can do such as being able to only set a ringtone if the music has been purchased off iTunes.

The Samsung was rated just below the iPhone in the reviews I read, personally I'd certainly get the Samsung or the newest HTC.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Martin is spot on. I have a HTC for the reasons he's described, Apple OS on the iphone is just too prohibitive for my liking ("This is the best way to do things, you can't change what you do with your own hardware").

HTC phones come with Google's Android OS, which is IMO far more flexible.

A few important tips: Size. From what I read about the new Samsung Galaxy the thing isn't going to fit comfortably in your hand. The HTC One X has a similar issue - it really is too big.

The iphone 4s is small but heavy IMO, and isn't all that thin. I've got the HTC one S - which is a powerhouse and is slimmer than the iPhone 4s. Battery life is also pretty good for a smartphone (I've heard the iphone 4s battery life struggles to make it through the day).

Just be careful with the size of the handset - A lot of the new models are ridiculously large.

[edit]

Examples of the issues with size:

(Samsung Galaxy S3, left, S2, right)

Samsung_Galaxy_S3_28-580-100.JPG

iPhone 4s / HTC one X

iPhone-4S-vs-HTC-One-X.jpg

HTC One S / iphone 4s

HTC-One-S-vs-iPhone-4S.jpg

CFalcon

Official Helper
I prefer the bigger screen size tbh. I'll be looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Note in a couple of months, which is around an inch larger than any of those above.
I use my phone far more for web browsing, texting, ebooks and maps than for actual calls, so size is a positive not a negative as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, Android over Apple any day.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Ah, well, if you use it primarily for those reasons then the bigger screen is nice. Using it for all of the above + to carry around though, I just can't be doing with a massive slab in my pocket :p

Main thing I meant is be weary of judging the size by pictures, get a comparison with a phone you know the size of.

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Just be careful with the size of the handset - A lot of the new models are ridiculously large.

Tbh I'm not too fussed about handset size. I'm more interested in performance, battery life and general use (meaning apps, what you can do).
I am rating the Galaxy over the iPhone as the new Samsung does what the iPhone does but quicker. I mean it has a 1.4GHz quad-core processor which suits me to the ground. I like the sharing concept and the camera burst shot. All in all a good looking phone, a bit large, but nothing to put me off.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
If you're asking whether the new Samsung Galaxy is better than the iPhone 4s the simple answer is yes, by a mile.

The main question people are asking is whether the new Galaxy will be better than the iPhone 5 (which doesn't have a release date but will very likely match the Galaxy's specs).

But yeah, if you're buying in the near future the S3 is going to be the best phone on the market (If you don't mind having a mini-tablet in your pocket :p)

-

Processor speed isn't everything though. Very, very few apps are making the use of quad core processors (and tbh I can't see that many will, for a long time). The HTC One S has a dual core processor that clocks better benchmarks than the HTC one X (which is a quad core).

Some benchmarks if you're interested in processor speed:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_flexes_muscles_on_benchmarks-news-4201.php

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Looks like it's blown it's competition away in the current market then. Such change has been made from when the iPhone first came out...but I'm eager to get the Samsung (not hearing too much about HTC smartphones).

Anyone else getting the new Galaxy SIII?

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener
I prefer the bigger screen size tbh. I'll be looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Note in a couple of months, which is around an inch larger than any of those above.
I use my phone far more for web browsing, texting, ebooks and maps than for actual calls, so size is a positive not a negative as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, Android over Apple any day.

+1

Steve_God

Official Helper
I got the HTC One X the day it was released (due to the fact that I had been waiting for the Samsung Galaxy SIII after my Samsung Galaxy SI had come out of contract, and couldn't be bothered to wait around any longer) and I LOVE it.
I'm not going to compare it to the iPhone4S, because they're different beasts, and both Martin and DA have already outlined my opinion of them :p

I'm going to break is down to various areas and let you decide for yourself though:

Interface
The HTC Sense interface is so much nicer and intuitive that Samsung's TouchWiz (I know this from experience as I had rooted and flashed several ROMs on the SGS as I was bored of TouchWiz).

Size
I thought the HTX One X would be too big, but took the gamble, and although the screen is big, the outer casing isn't at all, and making it just the right size ( to the point that the off switch is on the top, and I can get my hand around the bottom and top of it to switch the screen on/off with one hand rather than needing two).
The design of the SGS3 however is very rounded at the top and base which adds extra size and unneeded bulk to it, which I really don't like about it.

Battery
Which the SGS3 on paper has the bigger (and therefore better) battery, the HTC One X (as well as being a quad core), actually has a 5th tiny core that is used when the phone is in stand-by, and uses next to no power, while still undertaking background syncing tasks, and has been given amazing reviews on that aspect of power management. Also, given I've had this for nearly 2 months now, on normal day-to-day usage it will last over a day. If I use it non-stop for several hours, then of course it will die quickly, but for normal use, it reserves power very well!

Processor / Performance
They both have quad core (albeit with the HTC One X having the 5th power saving core) with the HTC One X at 1.5Ghz, and SGS3 at 1.4Ghz - not much in it really.
That said, with regard to the benchmarks, none of them are accurate, because none of the benchmarking software does accurate testing for quad core multitasking, and only make use of dual core techniques - this is why the HTC One S is coming out better in some of the benchmarks than the X at the moment.
With regard to the HTC One X vs SGS3, the SGS3 will perform fractionally faster, due to TouchWiz being so very basic, and the Sense interface being slightly memory hungry, albeit the extra processor making it up a little, however to me that doesn't make up for the crappy interface of TouchWiz. So far, I've struggled to make my HTC One X lag at all, for anything other than high intensity flash webpages (the type that are laggy on a mid-spec PC anyway).

In terms of other features that really differentiate them:

• The screen quality is apparently cheaper on the SGS3 than the HTC One X, but no idea if that's noticable.
  • The camera software of the HTC One X is amazing!
  • The SGS3 has a SIRI type speech app (S-Voice) built in if you like that kinda thing.
  • It also has a feature that meant to track your eyes and brighten/dim the screen when you look at it (kinda pointless if you ask me)
  • HTC is better at rolling out phone updates than Samsung.
  • Samsung's case is apparently a cheaper quality, and gone back to a similar style to the original SGS.
  • HTC One X doesn't have separate SD card slot, but with 32Gb, why would you need one.

All in all - they're much of a much-ness, and the only thing separating them are the design of the case, and their own overlay on Android 4 (TouchWiz vs HTC Sense).
I prefer the HTC, but I'd say try them both out and see which you prefer.

Update:
For the size issue, have a look at this image to see the difference between the two in someone hand:
galaxy-s3-vs-htc-one-x.jpg

Last edited:

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Get an android phone.

Don't get a HTC windows phone whatever you do. Can't play words with friends or draw something.

:(

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Get an android phone.

Don't get a HTC windows phone whatever you do. Can't play words with friends or draw something.

:(

Brrr that draw something game is everywhere and boring :p

With your summary Steve_God, and doing ALOT of research online, it makes me believe the HTC and SGS3 are almost the same albeit with a few playful aspects thrown in. The size issue is being raised alot, and why not considering the size of it. What I'll do on the day of purchase is spend a good hour playing around with them both and see, but it's hard to turn your focus away from something you already desire.

Steve_God

Official Helper
600euro is to much for a phone that wont even fit in my pocket
How small are your pockets! :eek: lol
The HTC One X fits in all my pockets, even with a fairly bulky flip case on it :)

Edit: Just re-read that - to clarify, it will fit in all the pockets I've put it in, as opposed to it being in 'all' my pockets at the same time in little bits :p lol

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
The size thing really is just down to personal preference. I can't get my head around the size of the One X which is why I went for its similarly powered little brother, which is a nicer shape and size *IMO* :p

But it is a great phone either way (Better than the iphone 4s and similarly spec'd to the SGSIII)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
So I have a question related to phones, I'll be upgrading shortly also (from an iphone 3gs).

I know that one of Android's selling points is the ability to customize the phone to a more personal, preferred setup. (Or something like that). For someone like me who is ultimately not very tech savvy (i.e. putting a new video card in was like OMG WHAT DID I DO WRONG difficult); is it worth getting an Android phone?

I've been quite happy with my iphone so far, but I'm certainly open to trying a new phone. For someone who probably won't take advantage of the deepest level of customisation available on an Android platform, is it still worth it?

Steve_God

Official Helper
So I have a question related to phones, I'll be upgrading shortly also (from an iphone 3gs).

I know that one of Android's selling points is the ability to customize the phone to a more personal, preferred setup. (Or something like that). For someone like me who is ultimately not very tech savvy (i.e. putting a new video card in was like OMG WHAT DID I DO WRONG difficult); is it worth getting an Android phone?

I've been quite happy with my iphone so far, but I'm certainly open to trying a new phone. For someone who probably won't take advantage of the deepest level of customisation available on an Android platform, is it still worth it?

Personally, I'd say yes.
That said, there are varying levels of customisations you can do with Android phones.

Given you've said you won't take advantage of the deepest level of customisation available (eg, rooting and loading a new ROM on it), I'll ignore that option.

Looking at the selling point of an Android phone vs an iPhone, the main differences aren't so much about what you can customise (as you can do pretty much anything), it's more about not being restrained to do something the Apple way, like not being able to use a music ringtone unless you've bought it from the iTunes store, like not being able to send music or media via bluetooth, like not being able to apply a custom keyboard, like not being able to use widgets on your home screen, etc... There are also other areas like folders where Apple simply gives 1 way of using a folder on the main screen for apps, whereas on Android there are several apps you could use to manage folders - and there are many MANY examples of this type of situation.

There are plenty of websites that will give ways of customising it with different lock screens... different layouts... etc...
http://i2arts.com/2011/09/03/22-ways-to-customize-your-android-screen/ - is one example.

There is also the freedom to install APK files downloaded outside of the Android store, meaning free apps if you're willing to spend a few extra minutes to download and install them.

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
I always had my heart set on the iPhone but couldn't be bothered to pay the £60+ up front AND the monthly contract...glad I've waited 2 years to see Samsung bring such a quality phone out.

Upgrading from the Blackberry Pearl 3GS to the Samsung Galaxy, paying £30 for the handset and £30p/m....tyvm :)

Shocker2k

Weeder
Id recommend at least rooting any android device. It will open up alot of options for you. Like backing up your entire phone, backing up apps. You can also get make your phone a wifi hotspot with root access (only really recommend using this if you have unlimited data). Rooting a device is pretty straight forward depending on the phone you get. The Nexus phones make it really easy.

I have a Galaxy Nexus and love it. And tried many different ROMs if you have any questions.

Nick