Round 53 Smack Talk

[Ninja-7]

Head Gardener
Check All
Fri 5th Mar, year 1. Afternoon War declaration ended
The score of our war declaration target, Mafia, has dropped so low that our war declaration against them has been rescinded.

All I'm sayin'

Pricey

Weeder
Yeah, I agree with Gazzy here. When I hear the idiots in town shouting it, it's usually with a "I don't give a f..." Attitude!

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
The phrases have the same meaning. The difference is that the people who're familiar with the expression "carpe diem" aren't the people who would do random idiotic things and get a sense of accomplishment from it

Gazzy

Head Gardener
Dimitar, they do NOT have the same meaning.

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero, which can be translated as "Seize the day, put very little trust in tomorrow (/the future)". The ode says that the future is unforeseen and that one should not leave to chance future happenings, but rather one should do all one can today to make one's future better.

Is not the same as:

"I don't care about the consequences"

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
The fact that your interpretation if yolo is "I don't care about the consequences" doesn't mean that's the correct and only meaning of the phrase.

They both mean seize the moment. That's it, as far as words are concerned. The only difference is that some people decide to seize the moment by not giving a **** about the future, and others seize the moment by making sure they do their best to make their future better.

I'm going to listen to that eminem song now.

Gazzy

Head Gardener
That's it, as far as words are concerned.

As far as the words are concerned one means "seize the moment" and one talks about how many times you live.

If you look at the context, either the intended or cultural adaptation, they still mean different (opposite) things.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
That's it, as far as words are concerned.

As far as the words are concerned one means "seize the moment" and one talks about how many times you live.

If you look at the context, either the intended or cultural adaptation, they still mean different (opposite) things.

No, they really don't.

Both are about living in the present, seizing the opportunites, taking the chance when it presents itself, not worrying too much about consequences. Both could be said in so many identical scenarios with absolutely no difference in meaning.

Gazzy

Head Gardener
Carpe diem is not "living in the moment." It's making tomorrow better through positive action today. It's far more long reaching that YOLO. You're simplifying it too much. And you're 100% incorrect about "not worrying too much about the consequences," that's YOLO yes, but carpe diem (as I've tried to explain) is specifically being conscious of the effect your actions have (but I accept, it has an action orientated connotations).

Franny

Head Gardener
Seize the Day, not seize tomorrow Gaz, sorry but you're wrong on this one, they both mean the same thing more or less, the only difference to the two, as Dimitard pointed out, is that one is a code for idiots.

Kingdroid

Head Gardener
and the bashing continues. You'd think being handed a free round despite being atrocious would be good enough for some.

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
Way to go DaX. You yodiemed this place to death! Please someone tell me that the game isn't dead lol.

Kingdroid

Head Gardener
Dax, how did you and your group manage to already be worse this round than last?

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Kingdroid stop pretending you're some kind of pro and go have a wank or something.