Deus Ex (*Contains spoilers*)

LadyDarkAngel

Harvester
I've read some good reviews about this game so was thinking of getting it. Anyone here tried it out yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuda

Official Helper
I've played the first 2 Games Deus Ex and Deus Ex Invisible War. Both very good games and enjoyable. Haven't played the new one yet but if it is anything like the previous 2 it would be well worth buying.

The new one however is a prequal and whilst probably will be a great game to play on it's own is I believe also intended to give further backround on events in Deus Ex and Invisible War.

I'd suggest looking on something like Fileplanet for a demo version of the game you could try before buying it tho, just incase you end up not liking it :)

LadyDarkAngel

Harvester
Thank you Your Majesty, ;)

I have read that it is a great deal better than the previous two, but I'll check out Fileplanet and read a few more reviews before buying it.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I bought it today at launch, only played about 2/3 hours (cos of work) but im enjoying it so far. The review on gamespot is true IMO so far (again only 2/3 hours in so as far as i can judge at this point), as a whole the game is really good but it doesn't necessarily do any one thing amazingly which isnt a criticism as such.

Anyway yeah really enjoying the way you get to choose how you do every part of a mission pretty much, there's always at least 3 different routes to your objective where you can either go all out and kill everyone or silently take down certain enemies one by one or just sneak by everyone and stealth it! Definitely my sort of game. I got it for 360 and want to try and get all the achievements so i'm looking forward to playing a few times through and get all the different endings and such.

And yeah Kuda its set (iirc) 20 years before the first game and tells alot of the backstory, i never played the originals so i dont get the benefit of that as much but so far the storytelling has been good :)

SadYear

Pruner
The trailer looked fantastic. Not sure I'd be able to run the game correctly, so I'm waiting for a demo or something to pop up.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Played alot more today, liking it even more now. It has got the perfect balance between a FPS with elements of RPG and the story is getting pretty interesting as well

...the only problem ive had so far is exactly the same problem a review said in that you can play the whole game how ever you want (stealthy/close quarters/hostile etc etc) and have choices on what "upgrades" to have etc etc but then there are set boss fights where you are forced to do things a certain way, meaning it might go against your entire set-up for the rest of the game.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
was going to get this on saturday. but i was hung over :( and as i had work on the bank holiday monday i decided not to get it as id be too absorbed and not want to go to work :p

but the more i look at it and the trailers/ingame play etc, the more i want to get it.

but i still cant tell to what extent it is free roaming....

is it like a fall out/gta. where you can find stuff outside of the missions and go absoloutly anywhere even if some of it is locked due to experience/storyline.

or is it like a Dragons age/ mass effect. where you have the appearance of free roaming. but in reality you only go from mission to mission, progressing with different missions in different maps/areas. but not really able to do what you please how you please outside of that.(which isnt a bad thing, but it does have a different feel to it)

or is it even less free roam than that, and more like a resident evil (with no real free roaming imo) where you can go around a map, going back and fourth. mostly because you cant open the next area, but the reality is you can rarely go back and its more expansive maps and settings than having an ability to go wherever and do missions as you please. in the order you please.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Basically you have set areas, like you start of in Detroit...you have a small area of the city available to you and within that you carry out the main story missions (although some take you away to stand alone areas which are fixed) and also you can find side quests and upgrade shops etc etc within that. There are also some random enemies around for experience hunting and stuff.

So basically its sort of free roaming in that you can go out and get extra missions and do them in any order and explore the whole area at your leisure but (from what ive seen so far) the areas they put you in for different stages of the game aren't that big and you essentially just go from A to B within the map to carry out the different objectives for each quest.

Definitely get the game though, the more i play it the more fun it is!!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Bought Deus Ex yesterday. Haven't stopped playing it since. It's like Mass Effect 2 meets Dragon Age 2.

But way more awesome and epically fantastic. Buy it, Get it, you won't regret it! That **** rhymes too *****es!

Yang

Harvester
Really don't like the energy bar upgrades ;/ Apart from that solid game so far

SadYear

Pruner
Any guessimations about the average length of it ? (in terms of hours of gameplay ?)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Depends how you play it.

Stealthy exploration is about 30-40 hours.

Run and gun murder rampage is about 15-20 hours.

bluehen55

Harvester
Just got it myself, although I've barely had any time to play it (damn grad school starting at the worst time :p) but I'm definitely liking it so far. Its nice to have real options on how to progress through the game, and I can definitely see that giving it plenty of replay value.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
got it tuesday. im still in detroit (this is long and hopefully majority spoiler free, but just what i did, as it took me alot of deciding what to upgrade)

just deciding upgrades id say essentials so far for first area

jump and heavy object move. i also like a big inventory so have purchased 2 slots, and the recoil is mad. so have one of the recoil supressors.

ive got to the first armoured gaurds(non police) in detroit. where you see the aug people that you met on the first level (herorrine is pre augmentation) and saved 4 upgrades.
ive put silence ap and laser sight on the pistol. also have extened mag and quicker reload on it, and an extended mag on the combat rifle

ive just been playing around taking out the armoured guards on the warehouse in detroit (got to after doing most all of the main detroit area/mission). I think see through walls makes it alot easier to quickly take out people or know when/where to move. whether you use pistol/snipe or get up close and personal

The armour and cloak abilities arent needed yet and i like the take out two poeple at once. I find dying from falls very annoying so i like those upgrades, but at this stage they arent essential, think ill get them in a bit. i find it easiest to remove all recoil so your combat rifle is amazing for headshots. and one head shot from the silenced/armour penetrating/+1damage 10ml pistol kills the armoured gaurds. easily and silently

If you want to snipe i suggest at least getting the first level of steadying aim, minimum it does say it reduces spread when moving but it also reduces the amount a scoped weapon shakes... (though it depends if u aim for headshots all the time and try to use it at distance.)

having played around for me personally getting to full reduction in recoil, some extra inventory space (this also gives the basics punch through walls and increased jump) i dont think u need stealth running yet, and stealth walk/run/sprint isnt that needed if you can see through walls, or are cautious, because crouch is pretty silent and you can move from cover with ease. also the whole stealth viewing perks. for your movement/sound, and enemy vision cones, and enemy tagging, is alright but not essential(they appear on mini map). especially as mentioned if you get the ability to see through walls (flick it on and off as needed). also no point upgrading lungs/running as you're noisy with it till you get the sneak movement perks. but even then you wont know where the enemy is unless you stop to look around.

the main thing as mentioned by yang is the energy bar. only 1 bar auto refills even with the upgrades as far as i can tell. this is a pain. because if you want to sneak up and melee someone for maximum bonus experience and the cool cinematic then u cant use your other perks before hand (cloak/sneak/seethroughwalls) as you will arrive at your enemy with <1 bar of energy = realization that you cant melee him and just walked into him. or you need to have fueld up on energy bars etc.

the typhoon = overated. but fun. also hacking so many perks for it.. but it gives you nothing special yet (i havent/in detroit). its not like wow i hacked a terminal i get soo much experience. its like +100 exp/ and more hacking gear. or some ammo in a cupboard/store. absoloutly no point in upgrading hacking past 2 as yet, probably bite me in the ass later (i expect u upgrade it +1 per area/level) i read u retrun to detroit. so all those level 5 acess areas i will get later. all other areas can be reasched with level 2 in hacking. and just looking for the codes off the dead/ or in rooms

all in all its good. also money is almost supid never chose money over experience points. as the shotgun although good (one shot kill armoured gaurds if all pellets hit) is noisy and loud and slow. and the smg is bs. (until u get recoil supression) so i sell them to vendors. if you can be arsed you can pick them up individually and sell them you make good money. if you have them in inventory when you pick up a new gun u just take the amo. by selling **** individually when i cba, ive got like 13,000 credits, and thats after purchasing the two upgrade units from limb clinic in detroit. stun guns is rubbish/painful. the range is so poor you may as well melee the target.

but all in all seems fun and i hope i get to upgrade virtually everything by the time im towards the end game. as i dont want to miss out and considering im allready limited by energy its not like having everything unlocked would be overkill as far as i can tell from the wqay the levels work so far.