Christmas Number 1 UK - X-Factor vs RATM

TaO

Tree Surgeon
Just listened some machine thingy on youtube..
and i feel sorry for myself now..

Good thing i didnt hear of them before ;)

Not really my genre :D

You have no taste.

Go back to listening to the ***** music which is pumped out to make 'christmas'. Enjoy your wham.

You is not nice :(
If i dont like a certain genre of music it doesn't mean i have no taste for it.
Maybe your the one who doesn't know what good music is, and you decide to listen the music you prefer. Just because your hearing is so far damaged that you actually think what you listen is classed as music.

I think I hold the longest standing musical taste argument with Silence, spanning back to his first (second?) round in bushtarion where we played together and he was on his My Chemical Romance tear and hated it when we called it emo music :p

There is no chance you will win, or even reach an agreement to disagree, with Silence as regards music if you have differing tastes. Silence is always right, haven't you heard? ;)

Btw, RATM ftw.

Disagreed.
Taste for different genre of music is normal in the world. You should go outside, talk to other people etc.. you'll see there are alot of people who actually listen different kinds of music.
Its not what you listen is the best in the world, yes maybe in your world, but i've heard that's a lonely cold dark world.

So many people in the world, and what your trying to say is.. Everyone that doesn't listen to my type of music has no taste for music?
I'm sorry, I didn't know you was God..

Treedude

Harvester
Turns out RATM are under the same record company (Sony) as Joe the Geordie. So either way Simon Cowell is lining his pockets. :O

Yeah they're both released on different labels which are owned by Sony yes. Don't think Cowell owns Sony tho, he probably has shares but he doesn't have anything like the interest in Sony generally as he does his own record label (Syco, very original). Besides, it's not protesting against a record label anyway

oh and ps

TaO said:
Its not what you listen is the best in the world, yes maybe in your world, but i've heard that's a lonely cold dark world.

lol, brilliant, just brilliant

Ezekiel

Harvester
They are not on the same label, RATM are on a subsidary labe, also owned by Sony. So Sony get their money either way, Cowell does do worse though.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
Turns out RATM are under the same record company (Sony) as Joe the Geordie. So either way Simon Cowell is lining his pockets. :O

It's not about Cowell earning money; it's about Cowell ruining our Christmas No. 1 race!

It's extremely tight in sales now. RATM ahead by only 8k :S

Davs

Garden Designer
Just listened some machine thingy on youtube..
and i feel sorry for myself now..

Good thing i didnt hear of them before ;)

Not really my genre :D

You have no taste.

Go back to listening to the ***** music which is pumped out to make 'christmas'. Enjoy your wham.

I pity your existence if you genuinely meant that to be as harsh as it comes across.

Back on track - RAGE FTW!!!!

I pity *your* existence if you feel that awful, commercial, purely there to make money, songs, make your christmas. It drags it away from the true meaning.

Now christmas is defined by shitty songs and the coke advert. I find it depressing that people make money from a joyful holiday and it irritates me.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

<3

Treedude

Harvester
I agree, lets get this back onto the matter in hand, only around 11 hours to go and it is a tight race, will be going down right to the wire.

If the X-Factor mob haven't already been winding you all up with their sheer arrogance (apparently they seem to believe they have a god given right to the Christmas number 1) I think Joe's latest comments should sway at least some of you to buy it.....and I quote

Apparently according to Joe they're not even good enough to "get through boot camp on the X factor."

"They're just shouting!" he told The Sun. "They can't be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like [before]. It's dreadful and I hate it.

"How could anyone enjoy this?" he added. "Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch? I wouldn't buy it. It's a naught out of ten from me."

I'm not sure what idiot PR man told him to come out with that, but I don't think anyone can argue that he is being reasonable when he says that about a band who have sold hundreds of thousands of albums and played hundreds of live shows to thousands of people. They have achieved more in the 17 years since they started than Joe will ever achieve in his 2 months in the spotlight (and lets be honest, 2 months is a generous estimate). Oh and also, as I believe it's important to note, THEY CAN WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS.

Anyway Rage are getting right into it, if anyone didn't see/hear them on 5 Live then here is the link. Not sure what the BBC expected to happen given the lyrics to be honest but it made me laugh anyway.

Also this bit of news from Tom Morello (guitarist from Rage)

Attention Freedom Fighters! Rage Vs X-Factor will be decided by Saturday's sales. Spread the word! Knock on doors! Host downloading parties! Knock over ladies buying X-Factor! The clock is ticking. And if Killing In The Name is number one WE ARE COMING! And it will be the victory party to end all victory parties.

Now I know all the Rage fans here will be loving that, just added incentive to get them to number one. NME have a page with a t-shirt for the occasion but it also has all the links to the music sites that count towards the chart. I'd recommend Amazon as tis the cheapest. Bear in mind if you want to buy more than 1 you have to do it from different sites, multiple purchases from the same site will not count. I myself bought 2, amazon and the live version thats on that page.

Get involved people, check out [url='http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine] this link for all the news about it[/url] including the comments from the x-factor people and from the rest of the music world who are backing Rage including Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl and Matt Bellamy (they are some bloody high profile supporters).

Oh and before anyone starts going on about it being a stupid campaign you may be right to an extent but I do feel that any campaign that manages to raise £30,000+ for charity in a week has got to be worthwhile, even if you think the method is stupid. Also any windfall that Rage get from the sales of Killing In The Name will be going towards Shelter as well so it is for a good cause.

Seriously, do it, (bacardi and coke), do it now

Charlie_B

Harvester
I find it rather amusing that RATM are signed to a Sony label. Exactly what 'machine' are they supposed to be raging against?

Also, let's not fool ourselves. This 'victory for people power' would have gone nowhere if it hadn't been chosen as a cause célèbre by the mass media. It might have started on Facebook, but it was carried by NME et al and has been a marketing man's wet dream. They're even selling t-shirts? Christ.

At least if RATM really are giving all their profits to charity then some good will come of it.

Couldn't agree with you more MattM! Back in the day the Christmas number 1 meant something...

What???

In those 'good old days' before X-Factor the Spice Girls won it three times running. It has always been a soulless manipulation with only one meaning: whipping fools into a spending frenzy. A quick scan of the winners' list reads like a charge sheet for the British public - there hasn't been a single good song in my entire life (reissues shouldn't count). It would be very slightly more palatable if there was an effort made to release some decent Christmas music, but the industry (and/or the wider population) is so bereft of imagination that in the last 30 years there's only been 2 Christmas-related single at #1 and we've had to endure one of them three times. Slade, Wizard, Mud and the rest would be infinitely more enjoyable if they weren't played constantly for lack of anything else.

Mmm, I don't know where that rant came from. I've scarcely heard any Christmas music at all over here.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Charlie RATM are owned by Sony.
Cowell has a share in BMG Sony or sumat?

And i dont think it was a rage against a major label, or the x-factor itself.
I think it was against X-Factor monopolising the x-mas no1.

I think it's funny that the sqeaky voiced joe dude has had his x-mas ruined >:)

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
i heard the news - and i lol'd. At least someone else has to have a crap christmas too now. :)

Ezekiel

Harvester
The funniest thing is upon finding out, Simon tried to recuperate some pride and offered the two people that started the face book group a job....only to be turned down! Good on them, fight the power lol.

avash

Harvester
Im sick of how many times ive heard slade, wizard etc. I want new good christmas songs.

RATM is a pile of bollocks, its even worse than the xfactor crap.

Cant believe it actually got to number 1 =/. I listened to it and couldnt believe it was even considered by some people a good song.

Davs

Garden Designer
Im sick of how many times ive heard slade, wizard etc. I want new good christmas songs.

RATM is a pile of bollocks, its even worse than the xfactor crap.

Cant believe it actually got to number 1 =/. I listened to it and couldnt believe it was even considered by some people a good song.

Don't let Silence read this, he'll start judging you :O

Bruce666

Harvester
i was very glad too see rage beat a little faggot from the x factor

i did but the single of killing in the name of as 29 pence is nothing really although aleady owning the cd:p