Christmas Number 1 UK - X-Factor vs RATM

Treedude

Harvester
Anyone else been following the battle for the number 1?

If anyone isn't aware a Facebook/Twitter campaign was started to get people to buy Killing In the Name by Rage Against The Machine this week to get it to christmas number 1 in the UK ahead of the X-Factor winners (Joe McElderry) single.

I will be getting my copy from iTunes tonight and I hope many of you will do the same before Sunday when the chart is announced.

NME are running a blog which is keeping track of how they are getting along and at 11 AM Killing In The Name was approximately 60,000 ahead, with Joe McElderry's going on sale on CD today (had only be available for download up until today).

Anyway thought I'd post it up here, see if anyone else is getting involved. If people aren't or indeed hadn't even heard of it then get in the mixer. Personally I am not a fan of X-Factor but that's not the reason I am getting involved, I'm just looking forward to listening to the chart on sunday and hearing RATM which will clearly stick out in the charts like a sore (but much cooler) thumb

Treedude

Harvester
Well if you've never heard of Rage Against the Machine I feel for you, no great loss not having heard of the other dude tho, no-one else had until a month ago :p

Also as a footnote to my first post, amazon.co.uk are selling both singles for £0.29 so it's cheap goodness

TaO

Tree Surgeon
Just listened some machine thingy on youtube..
and i feel sorry for myself now..

Good thing i didnt hear of them before ;)

Not really my genre :D

Steve_God

Official Helper
Known about it for a while now through various Facebook invites - if it starts getting close on Friday/Saturday, I'm gonna buy it :)

Silence

Head Gardener

You have no taste.

Go back to listening to the ***** music which is pumped out to make 'christmas'. Enjoy your wham.

TaO

Tree Surgeon

You have no taste.

Go back to listening to the ***** music which is pumped out to make 'christmas'. Enjoy your wham.

You is not nice :(
If i dont like a certain genre of music it doesn't mean i have no taste for it.
Maybe your the one who doesn't know what good music is, and you decide to listen the music you prefer. Just because your hearing is so far damaged that you actually think what you listen is classed as music.

Davs

Garden Designer

You have no taste.

I pity your existence if you genuinely meant that to be as harsh as it comes across.

Back on track - RAGE FTW!!!!

Silence

Head Gardener

You have no taste.

I pity your existence if you genuinely meant that to be as harsh as it comes across.

Back on track - RAGE FTW!!!!

I pity *your* existence if you feel that awful, commercial, purely there to make money, songs, make your christmas. It drags it away from the true meaning.

Now christmas is defined by shitty songs and the coke advert. I find it depressing that people make money from a joyful holiday and it irritates me.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
RATM for Christmas No. 1!

I really hope that this campaign wins. I've always hated the X-Factor for ruining the Christmas No. 1 race. Now is the chance to dethrone them :)

Max

Garden Designer
Couldn't agree with you more MattM! Back in the day the Christmas number 1 meant something, these days it is just given to the X-Factor winner free of charge. Let's hope that Facebook's campaign ensures people stop being brainwashed into buying X-Factor rubbish :p

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator

You have no taste.

Er wtf. Christmas cheese is immense. *Snow is falling... all around me...*

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

You have no taste.

You is not nice :(
If i dont like a certain genre of music it doesn't mean i have no taste for it.
Maybe your the one who doesn't know what good music is, and you decide to listen the music you prefer. Just because your hearing is so far damaged that you actually think what you listen is classed as music.

I think I hold the longest standing musical taste argument with Silence, spanning back to his first (second?) round in bushtarion where we played together and he was on his My Chemical Romance tear and hated it when we called it emo music :p

There is no chance you will win, or even reach an agreement to disagree, with Silence as regards music if you have differing tastes. Silence is always right, haven't you heard? ;)

Btw, RATM ftw.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

As the song was abruptly faded out during the controversial closing bars of the song, listeners heard presenter Shelagh Fogarty say, "get rid of it".

She added: "Sorry. We needed to get rid of that because that suddenly turned in to something we were not expecting.

"Well, we were expecting it and asked them not to do it and they did it anyway - so buy Joe's record."

rofl. The band is called Rage Against the Machine and the ending lines are "**** you I won't do what you tell me"...and they're surprised he didn't do what they told him?