Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
*Note that this story is 3,5 years old - Round 16*

Want to know what’s baking? Pie!

PIE, Pie or pie can refer to:
*dish baked in pastry-lined pan often with a pastry top
*A slang term for a woman's vagina.
*Proximity, Immediacy, Expectancy: a set of principles for treating Combat stress reaction.
(Source: Wikipedia)

Let’s start at the beginning. As usual. End of round 15, while I was CO in Raiders, I decided to ‘found’ my own alliance. Huntress_Tina decided to stop playing and raiders wouldn’t be back in round 16. I didn’t really lead an alliance before, even though I had quite some experience with both CO and MO. After an animocheck and talking to some good friends, the plan was being created, slowly but surely. Around 2 weeks before the round’s end most of it was set. A very good roster of players, around the clock coverage, the route-setup decided, all by sending a lot of e-mails around. Most was kept secret and at the start of round 16 not a lot of people knew about Pie, nor did they expect a lot from it. Keeping that in mind and the fact that Pie was a new-formed group we did good, better than I expected, and I’m proud of it(which leader isn’t proud of his crew? ;) )!

Why the name Pie? I don’t know, it sounds funny and it’s something else than the usual ‘cool word’ name. If I remember correctly it’s Clem that came up with it, on IRC.

We started off the round with 20 members, most online(except some aussies) and very motivated! Even the start surprised me, we had two members in the top 10(f0xx & Zeratul), and hovered around rank 3 the first few days, then sinking to just outside to 5. Our mutual nap, Confusion at that time, had a very slow start and was outside the top 20. After giving them some time to see if they would improve, we decided to change our mutual nap to Venom, which had members who were friends with people and Pie, and who we knew were reliable and good. Now I’d say this was our first mistake. Now don’t get me wrong, Venom was a great group of players and friends, but their leader just wasn’t able to lead that alliance correctly. Tbh, I was stunned when I saw and heard how he was leading.

Pie decided that staying low at this point in the round was the best. While other alliance were fighting each other, we were teching up, and bill89 was one of the first to develop CW’s(Robo-Shields side). We were asked by all sides to participate in attacks on ‘our common enemies’. I remember that some were mad that Pie didn’t do anything, or at least, not enough. :p

One of the best moments Imo was the retaliation on TGA. We had incomings from them, and could in no way defend properly against them. We had to organise quickly, and at first I didn’t expect the retal to be successful. Venom was busy with defence and attacks, so we had to do it on our own. In 2 ticks we had send fake defence, a fake attack and picked a real target and finally released the angry mobs. And yes, we were successful and we’re still proud of it. :D We were the first ones to hit TGA and get land off them. Altho the Resistance was already being prepared, a lot saw this as a sort of ‘signal’ or ‘green light’ to start attacking them as a whole.

During these resistance attacks, most of Venom practically suicided itself on TGA, because of a wrong decision of the leader. Almost everyone was telling him to call it off and recall, due to a lot of defence, but yet he stayed, and killed most of the alliance. Iirc they were around rank 6, Pie being a bit lower. Venom dropped around 10 ranks because of the forementioned ‘event’, and logically, being an easy target, they got mass incomings from TGA and other alliances. Instead of fighting they disbanded, without notice, we had to find it out ourselves. After a couple of days, the incomings were now directed at us, and like predators attacking a vulnerable target, we had more and more incomings. We were hit outside the top 10 aswell, and lost a few members plus some lost motivation, thus the related activity going down a bit. After hovering around rank 15-120ish for around a week, while still having incomings, having to recruit new members and keep the activity, motivation and teamwork high, things started to brighten up a bit. Venom got together again, and we decided to stay with them, which was, our second mistake.

Pie's 'changing' story banner. (Whole banner 'set' upon request)
oneday.gif

Around this time of the round, we were still sticking together and holding on, some members really working very hard whereas others had to be replaced due to inactivity, irl issues and other related reasons. The core was working together efficiently, but we were low on Aussies and Americans. I’d like to thank the few who’ve hold the fort at night, sometimes alone, and txting around when needed. During a week or two, we’ve had quite some new members joining. Little by little Pie became a unity again and working togheter, activity getting up. It was around this time iirc, that Clem was hoarding land like crazy, really amazing, and losing most of it again, earning him the most land loss stat. :p ‘t was also the time of hitting a few alliances around rank 15, best example of it being TheSnowmen.
During a long period we also had a snap with Clueless, because we decided it would be better to hit together. Pie didn’t do much alliance attacks on ‘big’ alliances that time, we had almost continuous incomings, even if we fend off most of it. It’s hard growing back up being a rank 14-12 alliance, while having constant incomings. ;) We eventually got back into the top 10.

When I went on holidays, back to my roots, during Christmas, for around 10 days, I decided to give the leadership the Huntress_Tina(who did played again after having ‘quit’) and Imo she did a great job, but circumstances just were hard. Thanks again Tina. ;) Due to ‘internal’ reasons Venom disbanded, and leaving us alone, a second time. After I returned, things had to change again. Activity was once again down, I had to recruit some new members, and ofcourse we needed a new anap. This time however, we were lucky, because Confusion, our initial anap, who meanwhile grew and obtained a steady position in the top 10, was looking for a new anap. After quite some talking we decided to anap eachother again, which was a very good decision. They helped us a lot, plus they’re a bunch of good, reliable and friendly guys! (Incognito, Denial, Confusion, Conspiracy – Imo, They deserve some more credit! Thanks guys!)

Our goal until the end of the round was to have fun, and fight our way back up to the top 10, which we did. We struggled, but with some help and savings we finished rank 9. All in all, a very good, if not my best, round. I’ve probably forgot to mention a lot of things, but the story is long enough as it is now and I hope that ex-members will post their thoughts aswell.

I’d like to thank everyone who has been related to Pie, all the members, especially the core; those who have been in since the start, fought very bravely and those who helped me. I couldn’t have done it without you guys. It was a blast. We kept “rockin’ and rollin’ ladies!” I myself, and I’m certain that it’s true for others aswell, have enjoyed every moment in Pie, and I’m glad that I’ve met a lot of new players and friends.

Pie was(in random order):

f0xx
Clem
LewisK
Signpost
Stevey
Grasshopper
Scrad
Nickk
Stotey
Zeratul
The-Super-Fly
Souls
R3bel
Mickey
F3st0on
Warrior_of_DXB
Luke
Birth of a_Legend
Lindey
Mastah
Slabbedask
Princ
Bill89
Maradona
WildDisease

Note: If you’re not on the list I either accidentally forgot(pm me if it’s the case) or you weren’t part of us long enough or due to insignificant contribution. :p

----------
Some screenshots:

pie1.jpg

pie2.jpg

pie3.jpg

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Marvin you ol' martian fart! Where are you hiding these times?!

f0xx

Landscape Designer
I.... remember the days of being add-dick(ted)-to-butt ;)

Pie was a lot of fun indeed.

[edit] Too bad the first round I started making screenshots was r17 :(

[edit2] That was what, 3 years ago? Oh how time flies...

CLem

Head Gardener
lol those screen shot shows me parking my 23mil bikers at HQ :p that was all my troops!!