Testosterone? Kids? Maturity? Hmm...

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Illumination said:
You know, you were a nice kid- apparently its time for you to spread your testosterone around or beat your chest or something. Maybe you have to act that way to be cool these days, but it sure isn't as appealing as the nice kid I used to remember talking with. Disagree, fine. Point out mistakes- great. Make a positive suggestion to address the same problem-wonderful. I'm tired of all the hostility and sarcasm on the forums though, its chasing anyone with an ounce of maturity away.

Sometimes one idea that is not the answer will spark an idea in someone else that is. But with replies such as these, from the supposed leaders of the Bushtarion community, no one will bother anymore.

Taken from another topic. Tiff hit the right spot, superb post, and I feel the same about it. I think it can be pointed at way too many people these days. Some have been acting like total monkeys to people on the forums, newbies and oldbies alike, in seemingly every thread they post on. Remember when we got these new forums as playground? Azzer himself made a topic asking for useful discussions- we agreed to be nicer, relax, be more open to ideas and welcoming! The forums should be fun to read and not full of negativity.
Think about it; face to face, would you talk to someone the way you're 'talking' here? I highly doubt it. Treat others like you'd want to be treated. It's so easy. Be social, civil, act nice! It's so much more enjoyable for all of us. If you can't, keep out. It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Thanks for listening. ;)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Re: Testosterone? Kids? Maturity? Hmm...

:lilangel:

The internet is not a place for arguing.
</Testosterone>

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon

f0xx said:
Can I have a hug plz? :)

hughe6.jpg

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Ogluk said:
thats not charlie!!!!!

everyone knows he has red eyes and a black outline, cummon.......

It's Charlie after he's taken his happy pills.

Augustus

Head Gardener

Anywho, I agree Maxi. It is very easy for a thread to spiral into an onslaught of hostility. Sometimes people just need to just concentrate on why they think their opinion is right and constructively state why they think others may be wrong. Insinuations that someone is thick, stupid, demented or whatever do nothing more than destroy the feeling of a friendly community....which is what a lot of people play this game for. Maybe a zero tolerance policy should be taken in forums, so any form of abuse leads to a temporary ban.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Augustus said:
Maybe a zero tolerance policy should be taken in forums, so any form of abuse leads to a temporary ban.

Already in place.

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

But not used a lot. I think it might be time to get out the whip, though. Get rid of the ugly trolls, put out the flames and not to mention cut the spam! ;)

Jubjub

Planter

This problem is exactly what's going on in the Global Politics thread. I seem to notice alot especially the "Hostile" leader randomly starting fights, swearing and just generally annoying everyone on the global pols. I also seem to get alot of crap in mails when you attack people, randomly spewing hate at you for knowing how the play the game and stealing their units/land etc from badly built players. I agree with this whole heartedly, but if it is implemented here it should also be placed on the global pols aswell which really need tidying up, because to be honest theres alot of crap in it which is needlessly posted.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I think one issue is that the very worst offenders - the real trolls (especially those that try to do it a little more 'subtly', as if only being midly insulting in 50 posts is going to buy them permanent protection because no single post is overly bad) - are so vocal and usually very well known "old" players, that mods are fearful of banning them because they are worried that all it's going to result in is 50 complaints this player ranting and raving to everyone who will listen how the mods are unfair how the forums are censoring how there's nazi mods etc. etc. etc. - because that's exactly the sort of thing most of the trolls will do when they get their wrists slapped. I also think sometimes mods think they can only punish per individual 'crime' - eg if no single post is too bad, then the offender gets away with each and every post they make, even if they're making them all the time.

But I say sod that, start giving out 24h, 48h, 7 day bans or whatever as appropriate every time one of these trolls (and most of us have a list of names in our head of the people who are hostile/seem to give a bad air around here) posts something out of line, and if they start hassling you and going off on one, extend the ban right on up to permanent if it's needed. I'd rather have a troll removed from the forums/IRC and ranting and raving at whoever will listen to his complaints about the awful nazi mods in private, than have them sat on the forums making the entire community feel hostile.

Some people just need to be treated very harshly (like the full weight of bans) for even the most minorly offensive post, because they seem to make "Minorly" offensive posts every single damn day. And ignore their complaints like "Oh but my post wasn't too bad I've seen worse" - if they're always acting up then kick them up the backside and ignore their complaints, they can always PM me in private if they think they've been unjustly punished - and I'm pretty sure none of the real trolls who know they are trolling would be silly enough to try and complain to me after being banned (which would just prove that they know they're in the wrong :p).

Bit of a rant, but I do get fed up of a small handful (maybe 5 or so) people on these forums who seem to take satisfaction in being negative, abusive, insulting, critical, and more than anything - entirely testosterone fuelled egotistical morons that wuoldn't know how to get an opinion across in a civil and polite way if their lives depended on it!

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

@Azzers response
a few oneliners that came up:
"when i see it ill believe it"
"the sooner the better"
"Power to the people, except to the teens"
"reorganize this teenage wasteland"

in short: *thumbs up*
altho "critical" isnt bad aslong as its not combined with the other negative emotions.

aGit

Harvester

I think one issue is that the very worst offenders - the real trolls (especially those that try to do it a little more 'subtly', as if only being midly insulting in 50 posts is going to buy them permanent protection because no single post is overly bad) - are so vocal and usually very well known "old" players, that mods are fearful of banning them because they are worried that all it's going to result in is 50 complaints this player ranting and raving to everyone who will listen how the mods are unfair how the forums are censoring how there's nazi mods etc. etc. etc. - because that's exactly the sort of thing most of the trolls will do when they get their wrists slapped. I also think sometimes mods think they can only punish per individual 'crime' - eg if no single post is too bad, then the offender gets away with each and every post they make, even if they're making them all the time.

You called? :D