Testing this rounds changes

Turnip2k

Harvester
Been reading alot of complaints from both sides on this one - and the same damn arguement is springing up in nearly every thread. Lets have this discussion here and try to keep it here...

The testing was too rushed tbh. I took part in it for a couple of nights, but the changes were far too vast and expansive to have fully tested this in a few evenings. There are clearly a few imbalacnes (sorry Polo, but things are not peachy). Credit to Polo in putting the effort in to come up with them, but things need tweaking.

The only tool given to the testers was a PW - that was it. 5 mins ticking, which still meant waiting for each tick to go by and hours for each attack. We had to develop routes fully. Sitting around and waiting for that is not a good use of testers time.

This point is aimed at Azzer. In the future, when testing - give a small number of testers access to a small server (maybe even hosted on a different machine so not to upset W1) which has 30 second ticks. Unlimited funds, fully developed accounts. That way, a few nights WILL be feasible to test stuff. Once that stage of testing is done, host a NORMAL PW with a reasonable number of people to try out the new changes. Those two layers of testing should be far more favourable.

These changes were NOT tested as fully as they should have been. I will completely agree with that, and I am not absolving myself from the testing process. I did what I could, in the time given. Most of the changes had already been railroaded by the time I got there, and I made some suggestions, some of which were taken onboard, some of which weren't.

Also, can we stop nagging the testers. What was done here has shaken the game up a bit, which is what it needed. Arguably some of the changes were 'superfical' and hasty, but this is the largest set of changes the game has seen for a while - and lets try to keep the trend going. Rather than *****ing at each other - lets come up with actual suggestions as to how to change the game next round for the better.

A few points from me, after noticing this rounds trends thus far :

1) TL's are overpowered as the game stands. TL's need more enemies, and not kill robos so well (or robos need to kill TL's better). Robos were meant to counter thug routes, but as it stands, they are quite valid targets for TL's in many cases. TL's are certainly a costly target for robos, unless you have enough PA's to kill most of them before they fire.

2) PoM's - interesting change, maybe give them a bit more AD again, but definately stopped them being landraping machine.

3) Extremists - not really seen much of. Anyone have views?

4) Bunkers - nice change, seems to have made them a little more killable.

5) Shields - could do with a cost reduction. 35k or somthing.

6) Sorc - still lacks real focus, I thing opionions were divided on this one even during testing. Maybe scrap it and work from the ground up?

7) Remove hidden bonuses.

8) Paratroopers - a little overpowered early on. Perhaps switch flamers and these guys in the tech tree. Interesting counter for PA though, and seem to be quite effective at it.

Ill add more if I can think of them.

Dafydd

Pruner
Having not played since r21, when I hit a guy with 3 mill Paras (and not realising they'd changed) I got quite the nasty surprise. They certainly are a worthwhile unit now, changing them with flamers could be an issue; flamies would be lethal during that time when it is still semi-flak wars.

CFalcon

Official Helper
3) Extremists - not really seen much of. Anyone have views?

They're perfectly playable for an active, contactable player. I'm around rank 50 with them at the moment, and I've seen one or two others in the top 100.

However they're still not actually useful. Considering I'm useless to my alliance in 9/10ths of the battles that happen (most stuff happens at range), I would hope to ANNIHILATE last tick. But I don't really. I do big, but not massive damage. Extremists suffer from RPG syndrome, alot of their firepower gets diluted from firing so early, and they die pretty easily if you don't wipe out the enemy.

A small increase in health and/or armour would make them far more useful. They're currently too fragile to take on alliance attacks. That said I think the recent changes to extrs/fans was for the good.

Rebels changing to stun isn't really a benefit either. Late round they don't stun enough to let you go attacking with extrs/fans, which is only fair really, and early round they get left unsupported on the close tick. "Great, I stunned all these officers range and mid. Now they can rape me close tick, wooo". I suppose they're more aimed at ninjas, but I'd prefer a little more functionality than that.

So yes, perfectly playable, but still a bit more needed to make them useful to an alliance (they are supposed to be an alliance route). They're still not a viable option for any FTW alliance, which pretty much every other route is (bunkers and puppets aside).

Last edited: