Story of the Age 2 Mini-Round

Tim

Harvester
Story of the Age 2 Mini-Round - from my perspective

It was a dark and rainy Monday evening. I had just arrived home from work, ready to play Azzer's Age 2 Mini-Round and I logged in to Bushtarion to see an alliance member called President of Canada.

Having been rocked by the revelation that my partner in crime might not be playing the Mini-Round, my hopes were suddenly lifted; LeeBot had joined GITK and was playing active.

Early on, there were discussions about a possible backstab later on in the round. How to do it, whether we would be sucessful and whether it would be better to simply stay with GITK.

The first few days of the round were spent primarily warring with HonkIfUrHorny, led by Gooner. In truth, it was a fight that GITK were always going to win. Honk led a few good attacks on GITK, but they could not match GITK for sheer activity and persistance.

By the Wednesday it was looking like the round was going to become stale rather quickly and it seemed to be a simple case of who could get the most land. I started making noises to LeeBot that Friday night should be the night that we would leave and kill GITK. However, I was quite far off the pace - I was not as active as I would have liked and therefore I had about half the acres of the top guys.

Over the next couple of days, I worked hard to amass acres and save funds, so that a respectable army could be put together.

On the Thursday however, I learned of plans for GITK to split amicably into two or three wings and to fight it out amongst themselves; a plan that would have injected some fun into the round.

However, this plan was deemed "too organised" and precluded the possibility of a backstab. Therefore, LeeBot and I rejected it and made provisional plans to start attacking in the early hours of Saturday morning before going to bed.

In fact, on early evening Friday, I noticed that activity in GITK was quite low so LeeBot and I formed an IRC channel where plans could be discussed. Early on in the planning stage, we decided that a group of five might be better at first and Slabbedask was therefore invited into the channel.

Slabbedask showed little surprise at being invited to a Resistance channel and he indicated that him and Martin had been planning their own backstab for the next evening. So Martin was recruited to join the Resistance.

The PWNAGE Alliance was therefore formed, to be led by me. LeeBot, his brother sh00k, Slabbedask, SWAT and Martin all joined within a few hours.

The takedown was swift. Perhaps too swift. I stayed awake until 7.30am to help kill GITK and steal acres. It was far too easy.

It later turned out that Microchip had been away camping and therefore had limited access to Bushtarion that weekend. We held a brief discussion and it was decided that, even if we had known this in advance, our decision to attack on that fateful Friday night would probably not have changed.

With GITK pretty much dead, LeeBot and I turned our attentions to our own alliance members for kills and acres. Martin was the first to go; he had put his account into delete mode, as SWAT had decided to phone him due to incoming, despite Martin clearly stating in his politics post, that he was not to be phoned. SWAT came next, due to his sheer stupidity. He died swiftly. As did Slabbedask.

They must all have been gutted to login to find no troops and little land. Shame.

At this point, LeeBot and I realised that we had no more targets left. So a cunning plan was formed. I was reluctant at first, but LeeBot convinced me that it was a good idea.

LeeBot left the alliance to start NewPWNAGE, while I stayed in PWNAGE. We each recruited members until we had about 10 people in each alliance. At this point, I started attacking the members in LeeBot's alliance, while he started attacking members in mine. We would each send defence which made it look like we were trying to help, but little enough that the attacked member would die and lose land.

So evil, yet it worked a treat.

On the Monday of the second week, I found that I had no decent targets once again. So I spent my saved funds and attacked LeeBot. Killed all his lethals & stole two lots of acres. At this point however, my alliance buddies were wanting his blood so they kept attacking him.

The main purpose of attacking LeeBot was because he was stealing land faster than me and amassing funds and troops faster than me. By killing his lethals and stealing some land, it gave me a bigger chance of winning the round, rather than finishing second behind LeeBot.

Eventually, I could not let this continue, so I started to defence LeeBot from their attacks. My alliance was not best pleased, but they had to live with it, as by this point, LeeBot and I ruled the round and decided what happened. LeeBot then subsequently joined PWNAGE once again and left NewPWNAGE to rot.

For a few days, the alliance went on. Until the Wednesday of the round's second week. At this point, LeeBot and I realised that another backstab was required and so we left PWNAGE and started attacking their biggest members.

However, at this point, GITK started to recruit players again and these players seemed to spend. This worried both LeeBot and I, as they could have caused us serious damage and pain.

So I began to hax0r GITK's members and saw things such as 9.5m Humvees for one player, lots of strikers, and lots of flak. I began to worry and immediately started an eradication programme.

No longer worried about stealing land, I started running attacks on their big players, sending only Strikers and Humvees to kill their lethals before they had a chance to attack. I got most of those in my range, with the notable exception of Stevey, who was always contactable whenever I attacked. Damn.

The first thing I never quite got was, why did these people spend up before attacking LeeBot or I, as this only led to their quick demise.

Secondly, why was an alliance of 30 members, with a fair number of lethals, not able to effectively stop or kill an incoming mob of 10m strikers and 5m humvees?

On the Thursday, GITK launched a huge attack at me when I was on the way home from work. Their timing was fortunately poor, as it allowed me a period of ten minutes from the time I arrived home, to hax0r members, plan what I was going to do, and arrange my mobs.

I spent up right at the last minute. Killed most of the incoming troops and launched a couple of retals on GITK. While this was satisfying, it left me with no targets for the remainder of the round.

This situation is unlikely to change. My only target remaining is LeeBot and I do not intend to backstab him. This is because he was there from the beginning, planned everything with me and deserves to finish Rank 1 or Rank 2 for his actions.

Acknowledgements:-

Microchip: for leading GITK into a seemingly unbeatable position and for rebuilding GITK so effectively after they died.
Scott & Coyote: for being the only active members of HonkIfUrHonry, after GITK killed them, and for being good and active members of PWNAGE.
LeeBot: for playing really well and helping to plan all the backstabs.

And finally, Azzer: for hosting the two week mini-round. My sleep pattern is all wonky and I must have made so many new enemies, but I loved it. Thanks for letting us play Age 2 again.