Starcraft 2!

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
btw, hang out in #Broodwar if you're getting sc2 so we have a place to hang out :D

Mattheus

Head Gardener
So does anyone want a guest pass? I got the collectors edition so have 2 going spare. It allows you full access to the campaign and multiplayer for a total of 7 hours gameplay, or 14 days (whichever happens first). Not sure 7 hours is enough to get the whole campaign in, as I haven't finished it yet, but you could certainly get a taste for the game to see if you like it or not.

Stegosaurus

Pruner
I've played a total of 3 games online. PvT, PvT and ZvT.

Lost to marines and medivacs, every single time.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
i've played a few games online.

So far been utterly annihilated by Reapers and Void Rays. :( All that aside, the game is phenomenal. If you haven't got it, GET IT!

tomtree

Head Gardener
I've played a total of 3 games online. PvT, PvT and ZvT.

Lost to marines and medivacs, every single time.

a LOT of people use the MMM tactic, and it is fairly unstoppable... if you let it get big enough. you need to be reguarly scouting your enemey to see what they are doing, and stopping them from getting such a good army. try attacking early because to get medivacs (and usually marauders are there too) they need to convert a fair bit of their SCV's into producing gas of tech upgrades, etc. therefore the will have less minerals early on and in theory you should have more men.

if they do manage to get a bit MMM ball then dont meet it head on unless you have a much bigger army. try holding your base against them whilst sneaking units round the back to take out their supplies. tanks in siege mode work well, or colossus' work wonders against marrines (especially if you upgrade their range), and to attack their supplies you can use reapers, banshees (good because of their cloak ability), or any other unit you can get behind their main line of defence before they can stop you. with this done you can slowly pick off the MMM's and they wont be able to build anymore.

if you are playing as zerg you can always try using burrow (especially with roaches as they heal very quickly when burrowed). wait untill the MMM ball is right above your burrowed roaches the raise them, wreak havoc for a few seconds, then burrow again. though beware of the terran using scan on your burrowed units because then he will be able to attack them anyway.

these are just a few suggestions, and none of them in any real detail. there are a lot of different strategies and counter-strategies in starcraft, and i dont pretend to be a real expert, but think about what units are good against what and try it out. (can be especially helpfull if you have someone willing to let you try stuff out with them in custom games.

if anyone fancies a game or something feel free to add me online, my nick is tomtree.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
the game just started so there are no real standard builds like in SC1 eventually. there is definitely tons of creative stuff you can do ;)

tomtree

Head Gardener
the game just started so there are no real standard builds like in SC1 eventually. there is definitely tons of creative stuff you can do ;)

i have a few semi standard builds, and i would argue that the MMM ball is already used to an extent that it can be considered a fairly standard build.

but yes, in general there is nothing set yet, lots of different things to try which is all part of the fun! you just have to think about things and watch a replay where you lost badly and see what went wrong; learn from your mistakes!

Nickk

Harvester
there has been a lot of hype about this game... i am tempted to get it ;p

Cody

Planter
absolutely amazing game.... but it does take a while to get used to the game play... its extremely fast paced

tomtree

Head Gardener
anyone here claim to be particularly good at it? i reckon im alright but nothing special.

plus what's everyone's favourite races? to play online i mean. i play mostly 2v2 and usually got for protoss; an early zealot push can work wonders! :) in 1v1 i vary betwerrn zerg and protoss, cant really decide which i prefer... protoss is certainly easier to play but it has a number of weaknesses that are easy to exploit. though the problem with zerg is that it's very micro intensive... so in big battles i sometimes forget to spawn lavae and units, etc.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
I play Protoss.

I'm in Diamond League 1v1 - Does that mean I'm good? :p

Cody

Planter
i play protoss as well... im in bronze league 1v1 lol but thats because i was terrible when i started but im getting better... but i am in gold league 3v3 :p

Mattheus

Head Gardener
I'm in gold league 1v1. I don't bother with 2v2s etc. Hoping to be promoted up to plat some time soon, have been winning quite a few games recently.