Snowdonia

Alvestein

Garden Designer
Hey!

So i'm thinking of trekking up snowdonia for my birthday this year and was wondering if anyone's been up it before? Stuff i'd like to know -

- Which trail would be suitable for a kind of fit 20year old guy who is up for a bit of a challenge.

- Any cheap inns/B&Bs at the bottom I can stay the night before and after?

Thanks! :D

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Google has it's pro's ;)

I've done it before but many years ago but great fun, but I'm sure things have changed since then. I didn't stay over, got there trekked up and left. Old man style.

But looking at this proves Snowdonia has changed, hope this helps:

http://www.visitsnowdonia.info/

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
As a Welshman hailing from the Valleys, I'd thoroughly recommend you give Brecon Beacons advanced walk route a try, before attempting Snowy. It gives you a good idea of the sort of endurance you'll require, and will help you select your route a bit easier.

The Crystal Maze is very close to Snowy too, and it's like £5 to have a bash - So I recommend giving that a go too!

Alvestein

Garden Designer
cheers for the advice.

Hamiltion -I was trying for a personal review of places. Also the B&B's seemed a bit expensive. I'm horrific at organising stuff like this :p

Pretty sure Crystal maze has closed down though?

CFalcon

Official Helper
Climbed Snowdon a couple of times, and if I remember right, the climb from the southeast starting in the Pen-Y-Pass was much more scenic and interesting than the climb from the north (where the mountain railway starts), even if it is a slightly longer climb. And a quick check of the map says there's a youth hostel at the base of the Pen-Y-Pass path. So that's probably what I'd look into :p

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
There are numerous activities now and I'd recommend the Copper Mine, it's beautiful there (if you're into that sort of thing).

As for walking, one of the more challenging routes is 'Watkins' although I'm told it's called the Watkin Path now. Took me approx 8 hours lol
No idea on accomodation though, hopefully someone else can help there.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
looking into it, apparently some of the paths are not obvious and it's sometimes easy to get lost? is this true from your experiences?

CFalcon

Official Helper
also cant seem to find this pen-y-pass track? is it the pyg one?

Yeah, that's the one. I haven't done all of the paths, but that one was certainly better than the northern one.

And you'd have to try very hard to get lost, there aren't any trees. Maybe in winter with heavy fog... but not in the middle of summer.