Samsung Mobile Help!

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
So I've found trouble transferring mp3 files from my computer over to my Galaxy S3. I found a software, well thought I did, which could do it until it started making my computer have spasms so had to quickly erase it.

Anyone know of software, tips? Thanks :)

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator
Surely the ideal place to ask would be from Samsung directly? Have you tried their help and support.

Don't download anything from websites you don't recognise, you may have erased the files but it could still be in the computer registry causing havoc.

What's errors are you having when transferring files from your computer to the device?

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Dude! I have gs2, and it can't be that different. You don't need to download ****.

Go settings, wireless & network, USB utilities. Then tap 'connect storage to PC'. Then plug in you're micro-B USB cable and use it like a flash drive. I.e. copy paste.

Also, I recommend ES file explorer for navigating your storage. You can even access shared files across a wifi network straight from your phone with ease. Copy paste over wireless if you want. Although it will take longer.

If you have any issues just post and I'll be happy to help (holidays free time ;))

Oh yeah, and you may need to put your mp3 files in certain folders or it won't pick it up in a media scan. So if after copying they don't show up in media player you may need to put them in a sub folder. I have all my music in sdcard\Samsung\music.
That being said, i'm not sure it's as temperamental as I've made it out to be. I only leave it in that folder so it shows in media players and is still accessible by USB in my car stereo, which is definitely more temperamental.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Surely the ideal place to ask would be from Samsung directly? Have you tried their help and support.

Don't download anything from websites you don't recognise, you may have erased the files but it could still be in the computer registry causing havoc.

What's errors are you having when transferring files from your computer to the device?

Samsung make me go round in circles so the only help I could get is from my network provider (in store).

It just won't let me do the usual copy and drag into the relevant folder on my phone. I was just checking to see if anyone has this issue with any other Samsung or whatever

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Dude! I have gs2, and it can't be that different. You don't need to download ****.

Go settings, wireless & network, USB utilities. Then tap 'connect storage to PC'. Then plug in you're micro-B USB cable and use it like a flash drive. I.e. copy paste.

Also, I recommend ES file explorer for navigating your storage. You can even access shared files across a wifi network straight from your phone with ease. Copy paste over wireless if you want. Although it will take longer.

If you have any issues just post and I'll be happy to help (holidays free time ;))

Wow ok. It just won't let me copy and paste from iTunes. If I go to explorer and select the songs, I can drag them into the Music folder on the phone. Someone tell me the difference from iTunes and explorer? Same properties surely?

Steve_God

Official Helper

Wow ok. It just won't let me copy and paste from iTunes. If I go to explorer and select the songs, I can drag them into the Music folder on the phone. Someone tell me the difference from iTunes and explorer? Same properties surely?
HUGE difference... iTunes is annoying Apple software that won't let you do what you want unless everything you own is also Apple, Explorer is a 'proper' file explorer allowing you to view the actual files and do what you want with them, as you should be able to.

Back on topic... what timtadams said.
Just make sure that you have your USB connection settings to either default to USB storage, or ask you each time you connect.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Ahh, I thought it might've been something a little complicated. Yeah iTunes is a ***** like that. It's the number 1 reason I avoid buying anything apple.

I may have heard of people getting their songs ported over. I would keep looking and trying. The first place I would start looking for solutions are internet forums where people post what they did/ask the same questions.

There is another possibility which comes to mind. I've heard if a program called iDump which lets you basically convert all your songs out of iTunes so you can do stuff like copy paste. However the format is probably .m4a which means you'll probably have to download codecs, which isn't really a problem I think, but it means you won't have all the meta-data (album, artist, etc.) but I don't think there is anything you can do about it anyway.

Although the rest of my family has iPods so I'll have a google when i'm at a computer and hopefully get back to you with some more useful information.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
DoubleTwist

I found these guys. They seem to be pretty serious developer and CNET gave it 4/5 stars, so I would trust it not to be malicious.

Read this CNET review
Basically, you may have some issues, and it may require a bit of fiddling, but if it works it's worth it.

You install their free PC program and use it to sync with music players/phones.

But the from what I've seen, DoubleTwist doesn't recognise the GS3, yet.
Galaxy S3 Unrecognised
Henry Kwan EMPLOYEE
Henry Kwan (Official Rep) June 07, 2012 01:21
Hello,

The Galaxy S3 only has USB MTP mode, which doubleTwist was not designed for as it expects USB Mass Storage (MSC) mode.

We are currently working on adding USB MTP support to doubleTwist.

In the meantime, you can use AirSync to sync with USB MTP only devices such as the Galaxy S3 and Android 3/4 tablets.

Here's a quickstart guide to AirSync.

http://www.doubletwist.com/help/question/quickstart-for-windows-and-airsync/

Thanks,
Henry
Given what they said, unless you are willing to wait for support to come (i doubt there is an ETA on this) you can shell out 5 bucks (AUD, so more like 3 GBP) and install AirSync on your Droid.
You will still need to install DoubleTwist on your PC.

Also regarding iDump i mentioned, it may not be applicable...
PCWorld:
Description of iDump

This program will allow you transfer your songs from your iPod to a PC, iDump does come wrapped in installer but you can simply drop the .exe in the root directory on your iPod and run it from there.

Connect your iPod and run iDump and you'll have access to all your songs, select the songs you want to transfer then pick a destination directory and how you would like your songs to be named. And then sit back and transfer all the selected songs to the PC.

Note: Currently not compatible with iPhone or iTouch. This link takes you to the vendor's site, where you can download the latest version of the software.
iDump
Vendor website
If you have an ipod touch or iphone but not an ipod, then it seems this wont work. However if you have an ipod, you can have your music synced to it, and run idump from your ipod. But as i mentioned previously, not sure how meta-data would turn out. Also, that free version is 4 years old and many download links seem broken.
Here is a link (CHIP), and another PHP-Nuke. Note i cannot guarantee the security of these downloads.
You can try it you want. I probably would. Most downloads are 1.1MB, so I'd be suspicious of anything other than that.
I wouldve tried having a better search but my internet it slow at the moment.