Round 40 Award Discussion

Max

Garden Designer
JJ said:
The only thing I have to say about this is Max, I love you but going into sleep mode when you were rank 1 and leader must not have been very good on your morale (I do admit, it was better than going UC and dying though :p)

You hit the nail on the head there JJ, being UC I had to make the choice of the lesser of the two evils, which was hit sleep :D

I have to ask though: how did you manage to catch my going into sleep? I barely use it under normal circumstances, and you tried to harrier rush me a few ticks before so I sent out. Did you not think I would simply send out again? Or did you know I was going into sleep? :) Do tell!

JJbrosandjl

Harvester
JJ said:
The only thing I have to say about this is Max, I love you but going into sleep mode when you were rank 1 and leader must not have been very good on your morale (I do admit, it was better than going UC and dying though :p)

You hit the nail on the head there JJ, being UC I had to make the choice of the lesser of the two evils, which was hit sleep :D

I have to ask though: how did you manage to catch my going into sleep? I barely use it under normal circumstances, and you tried to harrier rush me a few ticks before so I sent out. Did you not think I would simply send out again? Or did you know I was going into sleep? :) Do tell!

Haha I only remember that very vaguely. This is what I remember: (this is probably wrong tbh):

The first time I rushed, TSF missed the tick with gargs. I couldn't kill you alone, so I decided to recall. The second time we sent, iirc, was just to annoy you. At that time our other members were rushing your other members, but I had no one in range except you (we both had a massive land lead on the other players). Twigley kept on telling me to rush someone, and since you were the only one in range, I just grabbed TSF (A garg player) and sent.

We were genuinely surprised a tick later, when we discovered you were in sleep mode. Twas pure luck, nothing less, nothing more :p

Eden

Planter
It was just sheer luck. Iirc, I think he rushed you like an hour before that. It was really late already like 4GMT?, so we're like ehh why not try again. Sent the tick you went into sleep.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Twigley kept on telling me to rush someone, and since you were the only one in range, I just grabbed TSF (A garg player) and sent.

images

Podunk

Head Gardener
To those who voted Mo Dakka as the worst alliance this round...

Max - We were interested in the resistance yes, but not interested enough to prank people online for it. We had maybe 4 or 5 members with contact info posted at the start of the round. Not to mention I was in charge of organizing the resistance hits for my ally and had classes throughout the day when they were scheduled to go down. I would have gladly continued attacks throughout the US evening, but Charades were done attacking by 3PM my time more often than not which was a bit disheartening.

JJ - For the first few waves of the resistance, Mo Dakka did the most damage to our targets/TBA and won the most battles of the early resistance, just didn't get much land to show for it and eventually we stopped being so active.
So when we were around we did what we could but honestly, I'm not sure what you're expecting out of a for fun ally that wasn't serious by any standards. We were stuck in a very awkward position because of our decent start and techs, but didn't have the activity to do much of anything with them.
Then you guys refused to attack us because Charades pissed you guys off, which lead to us getting bored and without targets and sitting there on our acres doing nothing.

I wanted to get through the resistance stage of the round, get our alliance to where we could have wars with some similarly sized alliances but that never happened. I personally would have loved to join in the wars that EH/Calypso/Scallywags were having constantly instead of dropping in from above them and interfering with their conflicts.

Anyways, it was still a fun round and once we hit mid round we had quite a bit of fun so congrats TBA and Charades you earned both of your spots.

Last edited:

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
I would post more, but I'm tired and having trouble caring.. but to everyone that says MD is the worst alliance, look at this..

Its filled with players who are either semi-retired or playing inactively..
Only a few people are contactable.
They are about to finish 3rd with a good lead on 4th and only about 60k acres behind 2nd.
They have an overall honorable title

Not going to post awards this round though.. I didn't pay much attention to the round outside my ally.. ^_^ I just killed stuff

Max

Garden Designer
Thanks for your comments, Pod, that makes a lot more sense now. If activity was rather poor and contactability not an option, then it makes perfect sense why you wouldn't want to commit to a full on attack on rank 1.

I especially understand the point about the choice of resistance strike. Charades, fair play to them, organised a lot of the hits on TBA, some more successful than others. But unfortunately, the strikes were always at the same time of day, which was neither perfectly suited for EH or MD by the looks of things \o/

Best time to strike TBA would have been ~2pm server time IMO when certain high ranked gentlemen tucked themselves into bed at night ;D I was just happy for EH to get a token land steal off JJ for about 168 acres or something ridiculously small hahaha xD

Contactability wise we probably had about 15-16 with numbers, but I don't remember contacting people on for attacks (unless they explicitly asked me to beforehand).

Just a testament to the skill of Mo Dakka's veterans that they don't need contactability or activity to do well, nice work Podunk!

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
* Worst Alliance – Mo Dakka – Its rather paradoxical to give the title of “worst” alliance to an alliance that is looking to finish third. However, there are plenty of reasons for doing so. TBA definitely expected more pressure from this alliance, especially after EH was finally killed. They also seemed to be lacking in motivation, refusing to attack any real threats en mass, until they were finally killed by Charades late in the round. There were also times at night when they were practically free land. My expectations for this alliance were much higher, especially after their dominating round-start preformance.

I know Podunk and LS have already commented on this, but we all deserve a say.

Your expectations seem to be based on the assumption that we were aiming either for the win or for the highest rank we could, and that we were willing to work for it. And you also seem to be looking at our names and thinking "these people should do better". In a way this is flattering. I'm sure we could've done better if we had been active and contactable. And yes, we did lack motivation. That's because everyone joined Mo Dakka for a relaxing round with no activity requirements and preferably no contactability. We finished rank 3 simply because we were the most active of all the other alliances similar to us.

I honestly have no idea how we did quite so well at round start. I think we were pretty close to Charades and TBA for a while? I can't remember precisely. That was never going to last though. Charades were supposed to be FTW and they obviously were more active, more contactable, and more motivated for their rank 2 finish. We didn't really give a ****. If we got attacked the people online would do their best and if the target was contactable they would try and contact them. The idea of a couple of inactives organising mass attacks on a FTW alliance is ludicrous. Would you expect Scallywags or Discworld to mass attack TBA? Why us?

The times of competition for top 5 has gone. We don't even have 10 alliances. So yes, if you're viewing us as a rank 3 alliance and thinking about all the great alliances over the past 40 rounds which have held this rank, we don't measure up. But you have to see it in the greater context. Rank 3 doesn't mean what it did 20 rounds ago. There were only 2 competitive alliances this round and one of them didn't measure up anyway. We went into this round with the same attitude as all the alliances below us. Be as active as you want. Be contactable if you want. Just try and have fun. I don't think we should be judged as the worst alliance simply because your expectations of us are too high.

Max

Garden Designer
I'm probably blind, but did KB cheat to get those gargantuas? I only saw them doing vast amounts of damage on the battlefield from the spy reports I looked at, can anyone explain the evidence of mischief?

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
He farmed probably near on 80% of them from alistair's strikers and alistair's pnap's HVs/NVs, and it was very clearly mutual when alistair was defending pure scrap bot mobs on his pnap with pure strikers... and they both sent pure striker/HV/NV mobs at KB for him to convert aswell.

Basically, the guy is, and always has been, a rotten cheat.

Max

Garden Designer
Ah, I just saw the defending strikers and assumed that the defender was a bit of an idiot and needed to check the manual.

But if they attacked him, then that is bad show indeed, tut tut.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Yeah he has been doing it all round.

Just have to hope Azzer gets his arse in gear and deletes the guy before round end.

marvin

Tree Surgeon
* Honourable Mention Player – Zazemen – Probably shouldn’t have been kicked. Mistake on my part =/

As opposed to my kicking not being a mistake on your part?

**** you man, **** you.

(I feel there's probably more behind this like Zaze - who got kicked around the same time as me, yes? - was suddenly all awesome and you regretted kicking him or something like that? I could of been like that but we'll never know will we?! It's your fault I deleted!)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
You were on 5 acres for the first 3 days of the round but had logged in 4/5 times.
You then got to 1.5k or so acres after a few more days.
JJ prodded you to do better.
You defended for the one night of incs with your 200k privs then kept on 1.5k acres for another day.
You got kicked!

You best be trollin', prod