R48 Discworld Story (long post alert)

CLem

Head Gardener
So DW R48, my first round leading a full alliance. I feel I should have a record of it and share with you my perspective of the round.

Setting the scene
Late R47 I was back in DW after a short stint in Oldand Inactive. There is a good bunch of core players that I want to play with again in a true ftf alliance that I can shape so I decided to lead, initially as a proposed separate alliance as I have different ideal to what DW's reputation of being just an open bar land farm, but as pretty much everyone wants to join DW's name is used.

Round start:
Drama even before tick started, RoyalSpades decided to set up the alliance, what made it awkward was that RS was not in my list of recruits initially as he has a very different style to me (he doesn't like rules) but as some recruit failed to materialize (Stevey!) I thought okay he can't be that much harm and kept him on.
There were 3 simple rules that was established in my alliance but the main one was that no red title is allowed (clearly doesn't apply to people that didn't start in DW cause that would be impossible to recruit late round hence the 2 reds we have now) therefore no bashing, no massing and only pick on solos that is honourable hits i.e 67% rule. The aim is simple, to be the highest rank green alliance.

Mid round:
Green title helped us through the round making us much less tasty to hit and with our heavy troop count and balanced route set up (mostly) we were solid r2 after WW fell apart. Random hits were received from Mada and iirc one night RS spaz out because he couldn't follow orders and I warned him not to do it again, which prompted him to quit and join Mada and a lot of insults thrown my way. To be frank, I was rather relieved about that.
Trans also arranged a resistance against us (at rank 2) which was when we first saw team Trans and WW working together but we fought well against it.

The round became stagnant and our goal changed to rank 1 h/f to keep people logging on!

Resistance:
Twigs came up with the idea of causing some carnage time as the round was getting far too boring. We had to keep land caps and score caps so that we can still attack alliances that together rather than bash out targets and effectively defend, the combined troop score of the rank 2-4 alliances were staggering when compared to rank 1. Then you all knew what happened, much lols and good BRs all round and kudos to Trans and WW for putting efforts in as well.

The inbetween time:
Then Mada planted up and gave us regular loaded single hits/trains for about half a week but ended up recalling most of the time due to the heavy defense, until one day we had the epic battle which took out our entire troop advantage over Trans and WW.
WW and Trans again decided to kill us instead of Mada and coincidentally sending about the same time as Mada.

Mada's downfall:
Things start to smell funny when Tiger approached me when Mada was still very much intact to join DW.. due to skepticism I didn't let him in immediately. Then came the mass Mada sleepmodes and WW making an absolute killing on certain Mada players. We kill some Madas, more went to sleep and I took Tiger in cause the result of mada collapsing support what he said to me previously and we had to replace Alci due to his RL issues.

DW rank 1!!!!!
We came out as rank 1 and I was prepared that we will see Trans and WW ganging up on us. Contrary to my believe Max had a change of heart to not accept WW's invite for a 2v1, and I thought hurrah people finally can see why it is important to fight 1v1 cause bashing is so uncool.

Mada recruitment on full drive
It then transpire that it is a game of who can recruit the most mada players with Trans and WW both picking up 2 then subsequently 3 in WW (or is it 4?). I saw no reason to replace anyone so didn't approach any other ex-madas until Nickk picking up a serious case of man flu and want to just rest it out for the rest of the round so made one attempt to recruit Dachi and he just snubbed me.

End of round
WW and Trans decided to hit each other, Operation Switzerland (yes I gave it a name) was put in place so we didn't get involve when they fight. Then WW failed in leveraging their heavy AD and troops advantage and somehow destroyed their troop advantage on Trans, alliance ranking was pretty much at leap frog position then it kinda went quite and Trans took rank 1 after some time due to the land lead.

Operation Switzerland was lifted when WW pretty much tanked in their attacking efforts on Trans as Trans STEPPED UP THEIR GAME MASSIVELY (fantastic commitment to the guys in Trans in general). We start to do some organize hits on Trans for fun and stealth them a bit, and on Sunday I planned an attack on Chris_ for fun, which lead to 3 more hits organised by Twigs given we had quite a few online and want that BR.

Then came Monday when I was on my train back from a client meeting and got a text saying Trans and WW have decided to hit us, when that happened, I knew Trans had won. Retals were sent for funsie (I got 4tril bounty in a tick which was awesome)

In summary I had an action packed round which I set out to have, DW was in the middle of pretty much all epic BRs and we have a good strong core that will help each other out.

The final line up for DW is:
CJ, Cal, Dennis, Tiger, Garrett, MattM, Mdog, Wily, FFX, Lilow, Nickk, Twig, Ogluk, Franny, CLem, Shocker, Koen, Caz, Josse, RichardM

Fantastic group of players, privilege to have lead you guys, no score queens and really felt like a family there (you need to be in to understand I guess) and we have used sleepmode the least out of the 4 largest alliance in this round. In no particular order:

CJ - Still got some to learn but great newbie to pick up for future rounds
Cal - one of the best at killing himself on SAS and really should not play striker route ever :p
Dennis - thanks for logging on (occasionally)
Tiger - thanks for helping us out over the last bit of the round (totally missed you out first time round doing this post):p
Garrett - We would not have survived past week 2 without you, no matter how much of a loud mouth git you are, I will ALWAYS have you in my alliance
MattM - skinnest member for a long time with some epic low eta troops to help defend and attack all the time, many rounds we have played together now
Mdog - Late recruit this round but thanks for helping out
Wily - Developed a great knack of killing himself this round, probably have a side bet with Cal
FFX - Brutal stealthier, but I went through to your voice message so many times this round refund please!
Lilow - DW mother.
Nickk - Great clone, my best attacking buddy and a such a lucky git with stealth thieves this round
Twig - Thanks for keeping the round interesting for us, you stirred up the biggest storm of the round
Oggie - popping in at random times and sending bold ass attacks...crazy
Franny - the most contactable non-contactable person
Shocker - wish your bloody proxy stayed off this round
Koen - hot sister?
King Caz - Caz caz caz caz VD VD VD VD
Josse - Trans hated you then POMs hated you, but we loved you
Richard(Papa)M - Had most land in the alliance at one point...wtf

Other members through the round:
Chip, Dimitar, Bluehen, Alcibiades - thanks for dropping by, RL circumstances or different goals in game made us part ways but on mutual terms, thanks for the help no matter how long or short it was.

RoyalSpades, JesseW - Good luck with bushtarion, we have very different style and we don't see things eye to eye.

Interesting DW stats:
16/20 members were with us from the start.
Over 28k h/f points difference between us and the top 2 alliances.
Friendliest: Discworld alliance members have been added to 60 different friend lists.
Look at alliance stats for other interesting stats.

Yes we got branded an obnoxious bunch when we have pretty vocal members, and we may have upset 40 people in the game through general sh*t stirring, call us braggers or whatever, but we are friendly people really.

Also I have some quotes from our pols which are our funny "moments" this round:

Me losing 130 honour on 1 flk attack....worst leader...
Josse said:
the moment our leader get a red title while we all been told not to :p

RS specialness:
Where can I buy horse burgers said:
* Asmo's Prodigy [3130] fake garg - garg dont LT... (edit)

DW rank 2 after WW fell (whilst I was on holiday)
I caught you in sleep mode said:
bah we're a team. the majority of us have worked together towards a common purpose ;) you just are doing it from another another country on holiday.

Willy went on holiday for 2 weeks and dying in 1 tick:
The Not So Exciting said:
Willy's epic fail moment.

Watch the Corners said:
Rank 18 -> 230

Confusion of the M family:
Where can I buy horse burgers said:
[23:00] <MDog> quick question
[23:00] <MDog> Den, Matt and Richie are family? :D

Chris_'s banter to us when Tiger joined us...then he joined Trans..tru bants (I personally have no grudge against you going r1 btw, you played a solid round):
Currently plowing Koeniej's sister said:
pliss asckept me fast got meni incomming eneymiez hu bad n steel mi land

Max, well played but I told you I was gonna quote you on this:
Transmogrification alliance HQ said:
OK now I admit it looks as though the resistance can truly work :D

I can certainly admit now that I was wrong and totally an idiot :p

Let's smash Mada to the ground!

Max

Putting aside the current amount of hatred between the alliance(s), I genuinely hope we as an alliance have demonstrated that you can play this game without hitting consistently at 40% to have an full on interactive round.

gl with the game people

CLem

Please refrain from flaming and trolling on this post. I quite like to keep this clean.

Last edited:

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
<insert flame, troll and middle finger>

love ya bud. don't know why people were so cranky, but we had a blast. i'll always take up arms with you EXCEPT to be your sole night cover again. i got rank 1 ticks online. I never want that "honour" again. it's so lonely and boring watching the entire ally at night and not being able to attack :( - but i did it out of love. truly a class bunch.

sir caz is awesome btw. i have to give a shout out to someone who promised to be the least online, but was suprisingly active compared to some replacements and other originals. he always was willing to lend health flak support and generally is King.

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
Always an honour to play for Discworld (others may not see it that way) and this round was alot of fun :) Pitty i couldn't have been more active, but our mantra of real life comes first rang true :p

Also, Garrett is a freaking hero for his tireless night watches.

Great round, good fun, great bunch of folks.

Ta Clem for leading :D

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
What a post.

In the 2 weeks I played with you, it was a privilege. Playing with people I haven't played with before, and getting along nicely.

My little stealth attacks on Trans with CLem and Nickk kept me busy for a while. And Garrett always in on attacks with me, Nickk, Josse and CLem.

Yes I left Mada when they wasn't dead. But I left when half was in sleep, I spent a whole night with Timmiejj, Chris, Hamilton, Beasteh and godsend defending everyone. Massive kudos to these lot, for helping out. When Godsend hit sleep, I admit Chris was the one who helped me the most. When he hit sleep, me, Hamilton and Beasteh had a hard time.

Anyway this isn't about Mada, this is about DW. I must thank CLem for taking me in, I have enjoyed my 2 weeks, with a great group of guys. It was DW or no one for me, simply because of the experience I have had there before.

Have a splendid next round guys!!

CLem

Head Gardener
i didn't miss you out in the post on purpose...honestly haha

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I really enjoyed playing with you guys again- great people and it was a really fun round till we got splattered on the last week :p

I echo the 'Garrett is a hero' comments.

Clearly, though, you missed the best quote from our 'Defense' politics thread, CLem:

The Saga of Nickk and the Train.

On train. Weak

Omg missed my train doing this fml

Ok so I'm getting on a train now that will hopefully catch up with the train I was supposed to get. Will have like 1min to run across platforms. Wish me luck. Sent fake def. sorry I can't be on to sort this shizzle out

On a side note. I made my fricking train. Chinese Usain Bolt style

<3

jamesNchina

Tree Surgeon
Props to you all !! You have the utmost respect from me for staying green the entire round. In fact I am even slightly envious since I wasn't on the team. I really think you all deserve more credit than what has been expressed here on forums. I think possibly with much more humility on the forums you would have received it. If you lead next round Clem I would suggest an additional rule of "ignore forum posts DO NOT reply" :)
You might have to break Garrett's fingers for insurance on that one. (joking)
I sure hope Garrett sticks true to his word and next round doesn't refresh every 5 minutes at night (euro night ;P) so that I can finally become as annoying to DW as I was to WW attacking by myself :D

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
Muah james! I so tire of you and I being on opposing sides :(

Probably would have been a different round if ppl knew how alone I was for hours on end. But I generally tried to make enough noise / def to make me look like I was 10 ppl :)

Shocker2k

Weeder
Really sucks I had the proxy up and stopping me from being able to play at work. This is the time of the round that I hate, because each round end I want to quit, but the people keep me here. Its been fun getting to know you guys, but Ill probably be pretty much non-existent next round. Even more so than this round :p.

Clem- Thanks for keeping me around when I told you to boot me for more active people, a true leader keeps the team together and you did a fantastic job, Asmo will be proud.

Garrett- And a big cheers to you, as from what everyone else has said he is pretty much the reason we didnt get shredded at night. My activity at night was very sporadic and unreliable (my apologies to you Garrett).

Twigs- I can say that I have always enjoyed being allied with you, even though you went off on me this round for pranking you multiple times even though I didnt :p. And amazing job on the resistance big kudos.

Lilow- Always a big enjoyment to being in an ally with you. It was nice to see that you were able to have more of a life this round and didnt live in the game like Garrett :D.

Everyone else- Yes Im pulling the lazy card and grouping every one else together. It has been a pleasure to spend multiple rounds with all of you guys. Nick, Clem, Josse, MattM thanks for keeping me alive by emailing me all of the time for my deadly incs :). Maybe one of these days we can pull it together again and try and make a run for it. I dont think I have laughed so much at the pols in any round. Its been great and I will miss you guys.

Nick

Max

Garden Designer
Time averaged best alliance of the round by far. Well done guys, you have my envy and respect. GL next round and hope the turte keeps hurtling!

Chris_

Head Gardener
Chris_'s banter to us when Tiger joined us...then he joined Trans..tru bants (I personally have no grudge against you going r1 btw, you played a solid round):
Currently plowing Koeniej's sister said:
pliss asckept me fast got meni incomming eneymiez hu bad n steel mi land

So unfair clem, y didn't u save me

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
That did make me laugh chris. Thing is, CLem didnt know what it meant first time round, and asked others to help :p

LS_

Pruner
Huge respect on what you guys achieved this round. Hopefully more people can follow where you lead.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Sorry I couldn't be of any help - But I am randomly overwhelmed by **** to do at all manners of times these days. I had an excellent night with Garrett, though. I could have given him a bit of a break with my 12pm-4am day cycle had I not gotten busy again :(

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
Cheers for taking me in. Cant believe how much fail i was this round, lol
pretty sure pinpower cursed me -.-

but its been great, you did a bang up job clem, i loved the green title approach made it sooo easy to not have to deal with rushes the whole time. Least intense rank 2 alliance ive played in, pretty sure we caused alot of rank 1 to lose interest because of it.

Just hope no one else adopts the stratergy next round...i want at least some targets to bounty hunt. Best of luck to every one who joins dw next round, ill be routing for you.

Steve_God

Official Helper
Well played guys! :D
Just want to give you my thanks to you guys for supporting me in the Rank 1 struggle between me and Chris after MADA collapsed on itself - if it wasn't for your mass on him at the start of this week taking that land and forcing him into sleep, and then keeping up with rushes, I very much doubt I'd have been able to retain it :)

Chris'o

Harvester
Then came Monday when I was on my train back from a client meeting and got a text saying Trans and WW have decided to hit us, when that happened, I knew Trans had won. Retals were sent for funsie (I got 4tril bounty in a tick which was awesome)
Im glad you enjoyed the bounty ;). Its nice when i get killed by a humble person, and not some prick which is what normally happens :p