Protestor going solo is fail

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
The advent of dragon route has made playing POM considerably more difficult. Especially as a solo. If you don't keep your AR up you will regularly be on some Sorc's hitlist. I'm playing dragons this round and I've got a list of POM targets that might be in range. I check them pretty regularly too and if they are in range, they're practically as good as dead, assuming they don't get overwhelming defence.

Before that you really only had to worry about Bikers and since they got nerfed no one really bothers to mass them save in wartime. Now that there is a route that utterly annihilates POMs you're lucky to survive at all as the average solo.

Last edited:

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
alcibiades, my personal experience with incoming dragons when pom route, and playing as a dragon was its an easy route for you to attack, it requires a fair amount of golem and sorcs, and is easy to do. but thats no different to any route, certainly not "protestor going solo = fail."

most poms ive seen hit by dragon route died but survived enough to still block.
im not saying its hard to kill and land a pom with dragons if you dont know what you are doing.

also compared to most of the routes its pretty good as a solo route. its not like the rpg route, which can be killed/beaten by tl/sa/vamp/sorcerers/pom and genuinely half the player base. not to mention it doesnt even fire last tick. all because it specilaises in killing armour. it can even be painful trying to kill a well set up Striker. and they need snipers to fire to get decent damgage on the harrier unit itself so cant clean kill anything but robo or other military routes. so on a sliding scale poms are pretty good solo route, up there with bunkers and dragon route imo. and not because its painful to attack like dragons and bunkers, but because its a very capable route, which is good when attacking.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I didn't say it made POMs a fail solo route. I adore POMs, as toby can attest ;)

Dragons just make playing solo a little more difficult, that's all :) POMs is an excellent route, no matter what style you play in. It's the easiest one to learn, and the most versatile and awesome.

Dragons, done right, will ruin most POMs though, and while you may not land, you will definitely get a lot of kills that will be painful for the POM. However, that is still a bonus for the route, since if you're Solo you're AR is rocking, and you still have enough troops left to stop flak attacks (not to mention WKs = win at that point ;))

Dragons make POM routes more of a target than previously; and tbh, the only times i've been stopped as a dragon was if the target was online and sent out. other than that, they've died horribly :p

POMs are still my favourite route though. Always have been, and always will be. <3

GeorgeZ

Digger
Alright, second gripe... Why is it that PoMs have the hardest time distracting cyborg gardeners? I understand that there is "secret stats" but, why not state them in the manual? Based on the manual, they are just like gardeners but plant more.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
CGs have a fair bit of armor.. Poms do very little armor damage.. It sucks to fight CG with pom.. (every route has an anti-route!)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Hippies are your secret weapon against CGs.

As to why the specific stats aren't in the manual, it would make the game too easy. Since you could just compare units and buy the exact correct amount to win. Even with the battle randomizer it just would be too easy. CGs are very deceptive though, and some would argue they are overpowered.

GeorgeZ

Digger

As to why the specific stats aren't in the manual, it would make the game too easy. Since you could just compare units and buy the exact correct amount to win. Even with the battle randomizer it just would be too easy. CGs are very deceptive though, and some would argue they are overpowered.

Well then it is pointless to put that certain units to bonus damage to other units. Why should some units secret be exposed and others not?

CGs also die pretty easily but dont get distracted easily... I still dont understand.

GeorgeZ

Digger
CGs have a fair bit of armor.. Poms do very little armor damage.. It sucks to fight CG with pom.. (every route has an anti-route!)

1. I agree with that as well. But to simply get land stolen from CG because Poms:CGs distract 1:0.9 is just not right. It also doesn't make sense for any route to send 30:1 (Gardeners:poMs) and get land. Every route can land on a protester route and get away with harm. Sure we can all say, buy more gurus but why can't we say that they will just send even more gardeners.

And I guess you can say hippies also counter CGs since they distract as many as PoMs at a lower cost. But that tacks on as useless score.

2. I recall someone saying Azzer had a choice to make, either alliances or solo and he chose alliances. But then you have an alliance with the top 20 players with over 500bil score difference to the rank 2 alliance. I understand it will be extremely difficult to set up a system without rank 1 alliance picking up the top players and score hoarding but why support such an imbalanced system?

Dimitar

Landscape Designer

Well then it is pointless to put that certain units to bonus damage to other units. Why should some units secret be exposed and others not?

CGs also die pretty easily but dont get distracted easily... I still dont understand.

CGs don't have a bonus against PoMs. They just have a surprising amount of armour (well within the bounds of their * rating)

And no, buying hippies just for the purpose of stopping CGs isn't "useless score". They're cost efficient against CGs = you don't lose land as often as you would without them = they're useful. You can't just mass one unit and expect it to do well against all routes

GeorgeZ

Digger
I did not say I can mass one unit as expect to do well. You say within the bounds of the * rating but, as far as I know, they have one * under armor and PoMs have have two ** when dealing armor damage. I can only assume that even though the values arent exact, PoMs damage is at least ** while CGs have MAX whatever value is just under **.

Please don't get me wrong. I am just stating my point of view and what I experience.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I did not say I can mass one unit as expect to do well. You say within the bounds of the * rating but, as far as I know, they have one * under armor and PoMs have have two ** when dealing armor damage. I can only assume that even though the values arent exact, PoMs damage is at least ** while CGs have MAX whatever value is just under **.

Please don't get me wrong. I am just stating my point of view and what I experience.

POMs target LET/INN, which means that only 30% of your poms fire at CGs. Even if it's just CGs and nothing else. That means 30% of the POMs' ** are close to/equal to the CGs *. Which is pretty good.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Poms are difficult to land on when they are setup correctly. Your most cost-effective blocker will be gurus. poms will stop around 10-12:1 on flak pretty easily, and about 1:1 on Cg, at 41,000 apiece. Gurus stop about 1:4.5 on flak and 1:.8 on CG and are 10,000 apiece.

Hippy vans can do an amazing job of stripping CG too, and its never a bad idea to invest in some hypnos. If you read all the responses here, there's a wealth of good information to help you play poms.

But No route is invinvicible, or unstoppable, and you can flak through anything (I've proven that several times!) If you keep losing land over and over as a solo, consider that what your troops are and see if you need to make an adjustment. You shouldn't be losing land that easily as a pom.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
not to mention:

Approximate CG RATIOs

Hippy 1:0.85
Yob 1:0.17
Protestor Guru 1:0.90
Loudspeaker Protestor 1:0.27 (non stripped)
Loudspeaker Protestor > 1:1.3 (stripped) with HV
Hippy Van 1:1

it never hurts to have a few HV/LSP for these incomings.

this. Is all you need to know when you have read the manual and digested flaking principle. Hippies like a lot advise are good nld flak this means for 6k you can buy a hippy. And units like arsonist that only disable will be wasting firepower. But cost for cost guru is just as good IMo. Plus they survive better than hippy.

Davs

Garden Designer
I'm playing the CG route this round, and I've found that if a PoM target has a lot of HVs and (believe or not) a reasonable number of NVs I've failed to land. I've failed to land a couple of times just because my target had like 5m NVs.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
NVs are epic! They usually get 1:60+ on flak, but they're are only a few other troops in the game that target Inn that fire after them. Stuns are best if you can get them, so they usually just get used for sweepers. (clearing geos after all the flak is stopped..)

Davs

Garden Designer
NVs are epic! They usually get 1:60+ on flak, but they're are only a few other troops in the game that target Inn that fire after them. Stuns are best if you can get them, so they usually just get used for sweepers. (clearing geos after all the flak is stopped..)

indeed, normally if you see NVs get much over 1:4 it usually means that the attacker will land - but as I found out this isn't the case when there are 5m of them :p