Photography enthusiasts

Bobbin

Head Gardener
My Mum has one of those. Is a nice little entry level camera. Takes some great pics on auto, and if you brace the manual settings it takes even better pictures.

The Lens is the most important part, and the 18-55mm lens that comes with it isn't particulary fast, but will work well. It's also not very long, so if you need to do any zoom work, grab yourself a 55-200 or a 75-300 etc.

Also look at Nikon, they are generally a bit better quality on the photos, they are not as cropped either on the sensor. Plus they are much sturdier built. I just got myself a Nikon D5100 and I love it.

Max

Garden Designer
If you're still looking for advice, Hiu, let me know and I'll ask Rhys - he's a photography pro!

CLem

Head Gardener
The price is the most attractive part but it really is the budget end of entry level, but you are looking at £400+ for the other entry level ones.

Good enough specs to tell the difference between a normal compact and to get a feel of DSLR shooting, but if you have some exp with fairly powerful compacts (like the canon powershots) and are already quite capable with using manual settings then you may be a bit disappointed I think..then you are better off going for the 650d or something like that.

That kit lens is turd so if you buy one of these and you are not happy with the picture quality I suggest you get a 2nd hand Tamaron or Sigma lens as entry lens replacement, will set you back c.£150. But get a feel of what kind of range you are shooting so you get the best lens that fits what you do (zoom, wide angle, etc)

Alvestein

Garden Designer
I went with a refurbished Nikon D3100 in the end :) Took me awhile to figure out how to put the lense on..then more time to figure out how to take it off. I'm sure i'll get a hang of it eventually :)