Have you done some rock climbing lately?

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
We went rock climbing on a site an hour and a half away from Montpellier, where I live in the South of France. The routes were quite hard, 6A up to 7A for those who know a little bit about in- and outdoor climbing, and ranging from 30-60 meters high (that's almost 200 feet). The site itself was high up, so we had great views. Had a great day, sunny-could see all the way up to the see and Pyrenees mountain range, bit of wind, lots of laughs and mushy-out-of-energy arms in the evening. :p

Just uploaded some photos, so decided to share them with you peeps, enjoy! :D

DSC01246.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

n540567106_1740753_4282.jpg

n540567106_1740752_3896.jpg

DSC01263-1.jpg

Yes, I do think the bush forums need more camwhore threads- it's fun! Have you done some rock climbing lately? :p

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Re: Have you done some rock climbing lately?

ive climbed a dubble D recently (for the insiders)

dont know if i can find anything higher

btw. sorry but no pics :D

Illumination

Head Gardener

Ive never tried rock climbing, but Im sure I would enjoy it (ok, I think Id prefer repelling better:p). The views are fantastic-you have my admiration!

brainiac132

Head Gardener

i've only ever done indoor wall climbing myself (and that's been a few years sadly). but i agree that the views are awesome. i'd like to try outdoor climbing some day.

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

I've started with indoor climbing, but outdoor is so much more interesting and fun to do! Just avoid it if you're afraid of heights.

Fun fact: Matt, a friend of mine went up first to explore one route we haven't done before, and when he was almost at the top we heard a yell and thought he fell or hurt himself, but the rope didn't move. "F***ing owl!!", he yelled down. Apparently an owl was hiding in a hole in the rock wall we were climbing, and got afraid of Matt when he grabbed himself onto the side of the hole. The owl came out flying and released his 'cargo' of the day. Results below. :p

vlcsnap-366120.jpg

vlcsnap-366434.jpg

You can imagine we were laughing and rolling over the floor! Aah, the beauty of nature. :roll:

philipd12

Harvester

LMAO.
that owl was probs saving up for the next innocent rock climbers to come along ;)

never tried it my self but the views look great

brainiac132

Head Gardener

ROFLMAO. that would suck. LOL.

As for the heights, yea, i'm scared to death of heights, but i think that's what makes it more fun for me. it takes me awhile to make a climb though, as i usually have at least one moment where i end up frozen in fear. lol. and that's just on 40 ft climbs i've made. I dunno if i'd make a 200ft one, but if i ever get into the shape to start climbing again, i'd like to try more climbs for sure.

Alvestein

Garden Designer

did you fall Maxi?

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Not this time, but it has happened before yes. You're always tied to the rope, but you can still fall 2-6 meters depending on the hooks in the rock wall. Glad we have a good rope. :p

yoyo

Planter

great pictures! whooohoo

France looks real pretty too .

if you are ever in America, go climbing in yosemite national park. everything from easy to extreme and we dont measure our climbs in "the devil's measurements" either.

sounds better to say "i climbed a 2000 foot shear rock-wall that took two days to traverse than say a 200dm cliff lol

keep climbing and post more pics!!!!!!

saint1d

Head Gardener

Pictures look great.

Reminds me of riding from Montpellier down to the Spanish border on mountain bikes when I used to visit friends each summer. Damn tho that makes me feel old, it was almost 20 yrs ago :?

Could never do the rock climbing thing tho, I think it is absurd you can hold so much weight with your fingers!!

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator

I do a fair bit of bouldering at an indoor wall in the centre of Newcastle, which is great. We go every Friday (student hours, yay!) and stay for about two hours before heading back home for a nice cold one. Don't know the ratings of the walls, but we've come up with some crazy routes up overhangs and the like. I'll have to take some pictures next time I'm there!

One thing I still don't understand about people climbing though - why do some guys feel the need to take off their shirt while they climb? How, in any possible way, is it beneficial?!

Terrakan

Harvester

Weeble said:
I do a fair bit of bouldering at an indoor wall in the centre of Newcastle, which is great. We go every Friday (student hours, yay!) and stay for about two hours before heading back home for a nice cold one. Don't know the ratings of the walls, but we've come up with some crazy routes up overhangs and the like. I'll have to take some pictures next time I'm there!

One thing I still don't understand about people climbing though - why do some guys feel the need to take off their shirt while they climb? How, in any possible way, is it beneficial?!

because they get hot whilst climbimg especially if its a hot day.

i aint been rock climbing in absolute ages since i was a scout myself (nearly 10 years) but was on an climbing/absieling tower recently

p.s the upside down crucifix is scary

21062008239.jpg