Extremist route

Ive searched the forums and all I can really find is I think old stuff with people saying it's pants because SA fire before fanatics which is now untrue.

I'm thinking of going this route next round and just wanted some advice / pointers on setup and ratios etc?

Obviously the plan is to be very active and last tick everything..

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Don't play it unless you're contactable.

Don't play it if you're in a top alliance.

Don't play it if you're in a small alliance.

Don't play it.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer

Don't play it.

Not all true.

Ogluk played these in DiP and stopped many of the alliance I was in due to him being this route.

I agree with the top alliance part, as they are not really needed. But them being in a small alliance can be useful, only if you get a good start :)

Just be really active as you say and you will be fine.

So ratio wise?

Was thinking mass guru,pro leader,fanatic,extremist?

Would gurus act as a good sweeper after the fanatic or would I need a fair few yobs too?

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer

Don't play it.

Not all true.

Ogluk played these in DiP and stopped many of the alliance I was in due to him being this route.

I agree with the top alliance part, as they are not really needed. But them being in a small alliance can be useful, only if you get a good start :)

Just be really active as you say and you will be fine.

It is true. Every single route outside of perhaps puppets or bunkers will make you a more useful and successful alliance member.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it shouldn't.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Yochoko proved the value of Extremists in an alliance awhile ago. Sure, it's not the top alliance, but it's agreeably badass when the situation calls for it.

Zaheen

BANNED
Ive searched the forums and all I can really find is I think old stuff with people saying it's pants because SA fire before fanatics which is now untrue.

I'm thinking of going this route next round and just wanted some advice / pointers on setup and ratios etc?

Obviously the plan is to be very active and last tick everything..

Play it.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
are you selfless?
can you be active 16 hours a day minimum?
can you have 2 pnaps that are very active and accept to watch you over every tick if you are thinking to play it as solo? (welll, still with the stealth inc on solos, you have to be contactable all the time as well anyways.)
can you have an ally/pnaps that will help you land?

if so, you can play it, i guess.

still, nobody will want to fight against fanatics/extremists often times. so, end up being boring. when i played it, at the beginning people were willing to fight and then saw the result. since then, there were many recalls. except, our ally got really bashed and it was the question whether i stay alone high up or suicide in a waved inc.

buttttttt if you are not active enough and especially solo, you'll just die and won't be able to rebuild easily. even a couple times you show yourself as uc, inactive, you are like a tasty target with only 'close' LETs.

experience is knowledge that you earn. people can give you advice, but you seem to want to have a very detailed one that you want to follow word by word. also, i find the advice more useful when i get to know the route first. there's more understanding, kinda, with the useful advice at that point. i don't thinkkk you can get it 'all' the first time you play the route. so, try it and see it. you learn a lot more from it.

antisback

Head Gardener

Don't play it.

I think the Protest ally way back in r23 proved the power of extremists, and that was back when fanatics were crap. Defensively we just last tick everything, and offensively we had the TL's being followed by the extremists, which was very difficult to stop

The main thing you need to play the route is contactability, if you have this then it's actually the strongest allied defensive routes around. Obv you won't be able to attack alone so find yourself a good tl, rpg or sorcs player so you can help eachother out offensively.

In terms of setup treat the guru's like you would if you were playing vd's, so only have a few mil. After that I'd start with 1:1 extremes to fanatics, but you obv have to cater these ratios to what you end up fighting. Don't bother with rebels hv's or loudies.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Rebels are useful for offense early, as they stop PB (about a 1.5:1 ratio if not better) and get like, 2:1 on TL later.

HVs are pretty useless, as they only get about 7/8:1 on CW, and fire too late to stop most things.

Gurus are as always, buy as many as you need, and maybe a little more for cushioning, but you won't be the main blocker, so I wouldn't expect to get more than 50m even in a higher alliance.

Extremists/Fanatics - Here is the fun part.. Extremists do A LOT of AD.. more than RPG infact.. Making you quite capable of DESTROYING just about any armor route easily. Fanatics are very dangerous aswell, doing a fair bit of damage, and getting a bonus on military (making fanatics useful flak against rangers/strikers/RPG ect.., but not the best flak)

If you want ratios, it depends on what your fighting. I had about a 1:1 ratio with them, but if you fight more SA or military.. get more fanatics, if more robo.. get more Extremists. There is no perfect ratio, as is with any route.

Be wary, as everyone has said, your offensive capabilites are poor.. VERY poor. Stocking up too much in HV/Rebels defeats the usefulness of the route, which means you'll want an attacking partner that doesn't mind sharing the land (or giving you some)

Most folks will never fight you though. I played them in a top alliance, and only ever had 1 BR where they got to fire. It was an even fight against robo.. where I was practically zeroed but did more damage than I took.. :p (VERY powerful route!)

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Cheers again,anti what do you mean use guru as you would with VD as I've not played them?

I imagine he just means get as many as you need to help block incomings as a PoM would, but not too many that it'll effect your last tick hurting ability

-If you're a good, active, contactable, intelligent player you can make extremists work. But if you're putting that much time in, why not just play a normal good route that will give you some good attacks to be made, and better ability to defend your alliance mates?

-If you're not good, active, contactabile, intelligent, you aren't going to make it work very well. It's got so many weaknesses. In 'top' alliances (minus rank 1, which probably won't let you go it unless you've already won the round) it's got an obvious weakness to exploit. Just send someone behind so when you last tick the first guy you can't do ****. After the first time don't think they won't be intelligent enough to do it. If you're in a smaller alliance, they get waved all the time, at best you can cover the last guy, what good is that compared to being a regular route and being able to head off the wave in the first place?

-That being said, if you're doing it for fun and not worrying about being an effective alliance member, go ahead. I considered it myself before I quit for the few rounds I was very contactable, but logic always won over since I usually had to carry my alliance a fair bit.

The last time I saw it 'work' was a solo extremist. If that was indeed Yochoko...I am a very sad person. 99% sure he/she was a multi and 100% sure he/she abused AR triggering until (s)he joined the top alliance (which never attacked him all round). Even then me and cid abused the **** out of him forcing him to choose between saving his land and losing a lot of troops because of obvious weaknesses.

Yochoko

Head Gardener
The last time I saw it 'work' was a solo extremist. If that was indeed Yochoko...I am a very sad person. 99% sure he/she was a multi and 100% sure he/she abused AR triggering until (s)he joined the top alliance (which never attacked him all round). Even then me and cid abused the **** out of him forcing him to choose between saving his land and losing a lot of troops because of obvious weaknesses.

i only played it once in an ally (from the roudn start) where i ended by suiciding against a wave and dead forever! XD i kinda got tempted to play it again as a solo, but my pnap(s) was/were always against!! just wanted to pull my potentials by trying it, though. but then, i lost interests. i think i like attacking with my units firing at FT and without counting on others to attack. sure i do love team-up attacks too. but i'd still feel handicap'd and the fact that i have to rely on others to get lands throughout the round annoys me. :<

Max

Garden Designer
My biggest suggestion is to play the route with a PoM friend (solo PNAP or allied friend) so that you can go attacking together.

This is because PoMs will help your Extremists and Fanatics to survive until the last tick. Not only that but - more importantly - the PoMs will keep the enemy alive until you get to fire, which is crucial for enjoying a good BR!!! :D

Also note the initiative - BOTH Extremists AND Fanatics fire before PoMs, which is fantastic. Worked tremendously well in Sixth Commandment when we got them going.

But attack alone at your peril. Find a friend and you'll have a fantastic round :)

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Extremist has a lot of applications in any alliance. Even in a train, if you last-tick the heavy-first hitters (the 2-3 on a tick) you can force them to recall or die.. Especially if they brought a pom along! This makes the rest of the train MUCH easier for your alliance to deal with..

I've seen extremists used effectively a few times. Kuda played them in round 37 being mostly inactive, stayed on 5k acres all round, and managed to run off people 10x his size by himself.

Then Mr.Dark played them solo one round and managed to hold on to his land and run off attackers regularly..

Yochoko played them in the Drage round (i believe it was that round) and was a pain in the arse to get around.. Even in a train, the guy being last-ticked doesn't like the idea of staying against that :p

Ogluk played them a few rounds ago in DiP and killed a lot of folks that tried to fight him.

It can be an effective route, in the right hands.. I'd play it if I were any bit as inclined as I was last time I played them (in Klepto..) It just sucks that their offensive capabilities are nearly zilch :p

CFalcon

Official Helper
Honestly, Iamsmart is right, don't play it if you want to succeed. If you just want to set yourself a challenge, then by all means go for it, but pretty much every other route is more useful to an alliance, and is more powerful in solo play.

I played extremist actively one round, and was bored out of my mind. As soon as spies came out, I didn't get a single close tick battle report. Nobody was willing to stay against me for a close tick. I got SA rushed at least a dozen times a day, and I could only ever defend alliance mates if they got online to join me in last ticking. Not to mention that if you're up against a decent alliance, they will learn to send on several ticks meaning you can't defend close-only.

The units aren't even that good at close tick. Fanatics aren't really any better than SAs, certainly not better enough to justify their close-only status. Extremists admittedly do do excellent damage, but they are SO squishy, and the fact that they fire so early means alot of their firepower is wasted on flak anyway, as well as 30% of their fire being wasted on NLD units. And I do mean wasted, because they don't actually kill any NLD stuff.

No battle reports, 24/7 contactibility, half way through the round I got bored and restarted as something else.

I know when you look in the manual it looks like you'll get some kick-ass close tick battles, but you really won't. Everyone just runs away from you.

But if you do decide after all that to still go for it, then let me say: avoid rebels. They are way too weak to make even a token ranged force. If you must have some ranged support, get hippy vans. Also, don't go anywhere near protestor leaders. They are 100% useless. If you're going to play this route, it's best to accept that you can't compete at range at all, you can't compensate with rebels/LSPs/HVans, and accept that what you're good at is close only LET pwnage, and just play for that.

So something like 5:4:3 ext/fan/hvan is what I would go with, plus however many gurus my alliance needs.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
What CF says about their firepower vs cost is very true.. Their cost doesn't really explain the close only. Even Fanatic's boost to military isn't quite it..

And its rare to fight.. As I mentioned, I only ever had 1 Battle.. and that was in an ENTIRE round.. :D (granted I was in the R1 ally..)