European Football draws

Treedude

Harvester
So whats everyone thinking of the draws for the next phases of the champs league/uefa cup?

Personally i think in general the british teams have it fairly tough :p Man Utd got the hardest team they could have, Arsenal and Liverpool with the Milan teams is a difficult draw and Celtic got Barca which is fairly tricky :p Also Aberdeen getting Bayern Munich is a tough one, the UEFA cup has Bayerns name all over it this year IMO, and Bolton getting Atletico Madrid will be a tricky one, Atletico look fairly strong this year despite losing Torres. Tottenham and Rangers havent really got easy ties either, Panathanaikos are no mugs, and neither are Slavia Prague. The only british team who did ok in the draw were Chelsea with Olympiakos, but even they could prove tricky (altho you would expect chelsea to brush them aside)

All in all some interesting draws, none of the ties involving british teams have an obvious winner (the biggest difference in teams is probably Celtic Barca and I wouldnt write Celtic off purely because of their home record)

Some other interesting draws as well, i think Roma vs Real Madrid could be interesting, this year id say they're fairly evenly matched, and Fenerbahce v Sevilla should also be fairly tight.

All in all, despite my team drawing the only team i didnt want us to draw (Lyon), i'm loving the draw, sets up some very interesting ties. Roll on the new year \o/

Tim

Harvester
Re: European Football draws

I'm quite happy with the draw for Rangers. Panathinaikos isn't the worst we could have hoped for, so I certainly look forward to progressing to the next stage - and the draw for the next round (Quarter finals?) seems good too.

Treedude

Harvester

Tim said:
I'm quite happy with the draw for Rangers. Panathinaikos isn't the worst we could have hoped for, so I certainly look forward to progressing to the next stage - and the draw for the next round (Quarter finals?) seems good too.

aye well its last 16, quarters is after that. But yeah it doesnt look that bad for Rangers (could have been much worse), Panathinaikos could be a sticky one tho, but i spose you would expect them to probably go through in that one, tho as that last game in the champs league showed there is still much work to be done :p Next round does not look too bad either, altho Bremen are a good side too so no guarantees by any means there

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator

Disappointed for Aberdeen, that's a tough draw, but to progress, they're going to have to beat the best! Out of the other draws, I think AC Milan are going to be the easiest tie out of those, I've seen them play this year and they are a shadow of last year's team, no idea why, but they're not gelling. Olympiakos will be a tough tie for Chelsea; going to Greece will not be pretty.