Deleting Bug (?)

Tim

Harvester
I created an ID but then I decided I didn't like the name, so I put the account into delete. The ID selection then said that the account would be deleted at 00:55:44 GMT but it was still active three minutes later, so I entered Overview anyway.

I proceeded to change a few ID settings and when I hit the Save button, it took me back to the ID selection page and it suggested that I should select a valid ID to control and if there was none then I should sign up a new one. Then it continued to say that I was currently controlling an ID in World 1, but then it said I didn't have an ID!

I cannot attach a screenshot as the limits are too small. However, I have linked to it as follows:

http://www.timster.co.uk/delete-screenshot.png

Please note: I have not blanked out the ID in the screenshot, as it is now deleted anyway, and in case Azzer needs visibility of it.

Edit: after posting I clicked the ID selection page again and it kept bringing up the same page until I actually registered a new ID.

Last edited:

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ah sounds like three bugs (one of them just an old laziness issue on my part) rolled in to one! I'll break it down for my own sake (and for anyone curious) for when I fix these;

1st: Only the "account ticker" can delete accounts, and this is on the "10 minute" ticker just like the main world 1 ticker... so while an ID might be flagged for deletion at 00:55:44... it basically means the next time the account ticker hits, it deletes all accounts who's time has now expired. The time displayed to users needs the code copying over from the "next tick time" code in the headers.

2nd: Looks like entering an ID isn't unmarking it for deletion anymore, which could be nasty. Sounds like even though you re-entered your ID, it kept the deletion flag and deleted it anyway while you were using it (at 01:00:00 no doubt), and if you are in the game pages and your ID suddenly vanishes, the security code automatically throws you to ID selection, which you encountered.

3rd: If an ID is deleted while your current session data has you as still "controlling" that ID, your current session data is not being updated, so it says you are still controlling an ID that no longer exists. Attempt to enter the overview would fail - because of the security check mentioned in the point above.

Thanks for this, I'll try and sort out all three of these issues in this coming week!

f0xx

Landscape Designer
I encountered absolutely the same problem, but it happened when last havoc was over and we were switched to the new server and to register IDs. It said I have to register a new ID while it was saying that I already am controlling an ID in world 1. A couple of minutes later though, the old ID was gone and I created a new one. I thought the problem was coming from the switch of servers so I didn't report it.

Kuda

Official Helper
experienced the 2nd issue myself.

marked account for deletion
changed my mind
clicked select on the ID
clicked enter overview
started a few more devs and launched some attacks
changed over to other pw to check some stuff there before going back to id selection
account was still marked for deletion so went in again and whilst I was spying my attacks the account deleted

Hopefully you can get this one sorted Azzer with out too much hassle :)