Building a new PC

Charlie_B

Harvester
Hi folks!

Thanks for all the input, it was very helpful.

I built everything last week after seeing that Scan had a one-day special on mobo, ram and processor that saved me about £50. I ended up buying all the components in a bit of a hurry because once I'd started I got a bit excited. Forunately the weeks of research meant everything went smoothly. Almost...

I hadn't settled on a heatsink so I just picked on that had been well reviewed, seemed quiet and was on offer at the same place I was buying other components:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/be-q...ce=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping

(I think it was about £30 at the time.)

I reasoned that it's pretty hard to go wrong with a heatsink and although it was a bit more than I needed to pay that would hopefully ensure a quality component. The one thing I hadn't reckoned on (actually not true I had thought about it but rather than scour the internet for figures I decided it couldn't possibly pose a problem):

The size.

Seriously, I've seen cars with smaller radiators. Windmills with smaller fans. I was worried that once I plugged the thing in it would go airborne.

I bolted it down and was relieved to see that it just - just - fit inside the case. It just - just - missed the graphics card (a beast in its own right) too. All was going well until I realised that it was impossible to install RAM with the bloody thing plugged in. Worse - even when I took the big metal ******* off it became clear that it would not fit back on unless I limited myself to just one of the four DIMM slots I had. Like that was going to happen.

Who the hell sells a heatsink so large it covers three DIMM slots on a standard ATX motherboard? Even if I had checked the dimensions how was I going to know that'd happen? I'm utterly confused.

I gave up and went with the default heatsink. With the temperatures in my house at the moment overheating is far, far from a pressing worry. Ah well, live and learn!

I missed the deadline for returning the heatsink. Fortunately it probably has the scrap value of a small ship.

Charlie_B

Harvester
Hmm, that turned into a bit of a rant.

I went with the Ultrasharp btw! I think it was from Aria as well - shame I missed the £9 off but c'est la vie. I've never had a 16x9 monitor before and it's taking some getting used to (never been a fan of widescreen) but the image quality is bloody lovely. Went for a GTX 560 Ti 448 Core as well and it's running superbly. Absolutely no problems running Skyrim on Ultra.

Everything's so fast and sexy I'm a bit wary about oc'ing, although not to do so seems like a bit of a waste of the processor (2500k i5). In a few weeks perhaps.

Last edited:

Steve_God

Official Helper
Who the hell sells a heatsink so large it covers three DIMM slots on a standard ATX motherboard? Even if I had checked the dimensions how was I going to know that'd happen? I'm utterly confused.
Could you not mount it at 90 degrees? I had the same issue with mine so just mounted it so the air flow was horizonal rather than vertical, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get my RAM in either. Annoying... but not the end of the world.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Could you not mount it at 90 degrees? I had the same issue with mine so just mounted it so the air flow was horizonal rather than vertical, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get my RAM in either. Annoying... but not the end of the world.

turn it 90 degrees?

doesnt your airflow need to go out off the case?

CFalcon

Official Helper
I feel your pain Charlie. My cooler (Venomous X-RT) still doesn't fit in my case properly. RAM goes in ok, width and length are ok, but it's just too damn tall. Can't actually get the side of the case back on :(

Well, I can, but have to kick it. Alot.

Assuming you have a rear exhaust, turning 90 degrees is a perfectly good solution.

Steve_God

Official Helper

turn it 90 degrees?

doesnt your airflow need to go out off the case?

In an ideal situation, yes, and having the heatsink at 90 degrees keeps that.
Having the fan blowing the hot air up through the heatsink vs out towards the back fan makes no odds whatsoever.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Next time dont even use a tower. I would just screw the motherboard and power supply to a piece of wood and position fans to blow across coolers. That way i could even see the dust build up and then I would know when to get the vacuum cleaner/compressor onto it.