Blog about my baby boy diagnosed with leukemia

Bully

Weeder
I started playing bushtarion when my first boy was only 3 years old, He is 8, we now have a 2 year old girl and recently as some of you know we had another baby. I'm writing this as a way to release some stress headache to keep some of my bush friends informed on this life changing event. I'm not sure if I will have the energy, time or spirit to keep playing, however, I want you to know that I respect and have made some great friends over the years.

So here goes an attempt at some sort of blog...

Ted our 7 month old boy was diagnosed with leukemia on sunday night 16th March 2008 in Basildon Hospital, essex.

We took him for blood tests at 10am, and by 3pm they recalled us back to hospital to urgently do more tests.

By 8pm the awful truth of his illness hit us like a speeding train.

DSC09934.jpg

Edward before he got sick with leukemia notice the pink cheeks.

Monday 17th March 2008 07:30
Mum and Ted got moved to GOSH (great ormand street hospital).

15:00 Ted under goes surgery to remove bone marrow to identify what type of leukemia, if it is treatable and what type of treatment will be required. They also did a blood transfusion, plus inserted permanant tubes into his chest, neck and back for chemotheorphy if this is an option.

18:00 He is started on steroids to prepare his body for chemo, they have found out the type of leukemia, however it has 2 variants one gives him a 50/50 chance the other a 90% chance of survival.

Good night my angel, see you tomorrow.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Re: Blog about my baby boy diagnosed with leukemia

I'm really sorry to hear man. I promise to keep spying you more often! I have not the words, they would be meaningless anyway. I appreciate hanging out the past few rounds as pnaps and talking about our stressful jobs and crazy kids...

you can blow off steam anytime, just give a yell.

Illumination

Head Gardener

I havent the fortune of crossing paths with you ingame before...but I'm crying. As a mother of two young children I honestly can not imagine the horror you are experiencing. Your baby boy is precious, just as adorable as can be. Love him with all your heart and he will feel that love seeping into his precious body through all of his upcoming trials.
I hope you get the best results possible from those tests.

Sometimes, life just isnt fair.

Rosa

Pruner

I'm really sorry Bully... I cannot even begin to understand what you must be feeling right now. I'll pray extra hard for the well being of your little boy and your family.

The best of luck to you and your family.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon

Very sorry to hear Bully :(
Wish your son all the best, hope he will get well.

Nonny

Harvester

I don't know you, but I can imagine your pain. My daughter is 4 months old and the light of my life. Born in Southend hospital on the 9th November 2007.

I so hope future news on this is always the best possible for you and that in the future you'll be able to look back on this as a dark time defeated.

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

:symp1:

There are few things more devastating than a sick child bully . May you and your family endure and love each other harder than ever through this time.

-Tana

Jorizz

Pruner

Hey mate, I'm really sorry to hear such news. My languastic skills are not good enough to express my compassion both for you and your wife as well as your little Ted. Forget all abot Bushtarion mate, these things keep absolute priority; I hope with all of my heart that your boy fights himself trough the upcomming period. Best wishes and luck!

- Joris

ps: Don't feel obliged to blog in here, tough we all wish to hear news updates on how your boy is doing, Ted, your other children and wife are much more importand than we are - they deserve all your energy. We come in the last place.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon

Very sorry to hear mate, like garrett said if you need to vent any fustration/anger just send it my way I won't mind. I hope he gets better mate your a tough one so I'm sure he is aswell!
You should still be in leeds :( coulda bought you a pint then!

All the best mate!

yoyo

Planter

i can only offer this:

keep a very positive attitude. love works wonders.

i wish your family the best that love can provide.

Bully

Weeder

DSC00040.jpg

Latest photo, showing our baby with his true fighting spirit.

Today wed 19th march 2008, saw me cradling him in my arms and walking him for what felt like a hour, through the hospital to the operating theatre.

I cuddled him as they put his tiny body to sleep, and he fought till his eyes rolled into the back of his head.
Mum and me left the room whilst they did the surgical procedure, to remove spinal fluid to test the level of leukemia in his brain.

We await the results hopefully some time in the next 24 hours.

The disease is called Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia. He has been given a 50% chance of survival as he is so young, however on a positve note, the doctors seem to agree he is on the good side of the 50% as he is a little fighter and got some good body weight.

I hope to revist again in a couple days.

CLem

Head Gardener

Bully I wish Ted all the best. I am no doctor but he looks very strong and should definitely be on the good side of that 50%!! Love and support is all you can offer and all you need to offer to him now. But don't forget to take care of yourself and your family as well.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

Clem

anth

Weeder

As a parent I cant help but get tears. God bless you guys and Ill keep you in my prayers.

saint1d

Head Gardener

Again as a parent I found this thread very upsetting, I wish Ted all the best. I hope you and your family find the strength and courage to get through this difficult time.

And wow, what a big lad !! :shock:

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Dont really know how to express in words what i mean to say...

But i wish your little boy all the best, and hope he can get through this soon...all the best mate...

Pin
xx

f0xx

Landscape Designer

Words are maeningless...

I sencirely hope he gets better, best of luck to you and your family bulle.

Podunk

Head Gardener

I wish all the best to your son and your family Bully. Fight on Ted!

Nonny

Harvester

I'm in two minds posting this here as I don't want to hijack this of all threads but it couldn't be closer to the topic.

Before this bad news my wife was aware of leukemia and wanted to go on the donor register. Now I thought that donating bone marrow was a painful procedure and to my present discomfort put her off. She's not good with pain. However, she has looked into it further and apparently it's very simple and pretty painless.

Step 1. Blood sample to see if you match anyone who requires a transplant.

Step 2. Anaestathise, (<can't spell right now!), an area (hip?). Hypodermic needle into the bone drawing out a small portion of the marrow and you're done. Home you go, no wait like a blood donation. You're fine and 24 hours later your body will have regrown all the marrow. Job done.

So if the thought of anyone, especially a toddler like Ted, suffering for the sake of the above procedure leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Check it out, there may be something amazing you can do to save a life.

We're looking into the details further. If Bully doesn't mind we'll post in here exactly what's involved. Maybe someone else already knows?

In the meantime, our thoughts for you and your family Bully, especially Ted.