After tick slowdown?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Is anyone else experiencing this? After the game 'ticks' over, for the first 10 seconds or so i can reload the page just fine, but between ~10 and ~45 seconds the load time skyrockets? Is it just me and my crap internet or are other people experiencing the same thing?

Been going on for about a week now, give or take a few days.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I get the same as Alci, in W1 and the Age 2 World.

Tim

Harvester
Think it might be the Age 2 ticker, which Azzer added onto the Age 5 ticker. It wasn't efficient from what I understand but don't know if this would cause the slow downs.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Ah, I have the same problem too, on both forums and game.

Although it's nothing major since it lasts ~10 seconds.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The age 2 ticker is a process whore, one of the many reasons it's not available for players and why it's not run often (this is the 2nd time ever) and will only be running a short while :p

Atm it ticks after the world 1 ticker (world 1 will always take priority, to tick exactly at the right moment etc., of course) - so during the core "tick stage" of the age 2 ticker, the server CPU and MySQL processes will be running chocca-block and slowing down processing on the entire server for anything up to around 10 seconds.

Only another week and a bit, it doesn't stop the page load just make it a little slower than usual and it's only after a tick, not just before one, so nothing too critical!

Deloitte

Pruner
Is anyone else experiencing this? After the game 'ticks' over, for the first 10 seconds or so i can reload the page just fine, but between ~10 and ~45 seconds the load time skyrockets? Is it just me and my crap internet or are other people experiencing the same thing?

Been going on for about a week now, give or take a few days.

ha! you've experienced what i noticed some time ago. thought i had shitty net service :p

http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3288

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Assuming you're getting the same thing... did you check those footers to see which times were slow? The age 2 ticks slowing things down will cause the "page generation" time to increase, that's the important time to identify heavy server load.

Even without age 2 though, there will always be some heavy work immediately after a tick - firstly private worlds 2-10 run through a ticker (even if they are not running, there is minor maintenance carried out on all world databases after each tick), then the "account ticker" runs which sorts out expiring accounts, deleting accounts, unused accounts, sends out email reminders and notices etc., and then finally the "bot" ticker runs which operates all of the bots (spawns new as necessary, picks targets, decides on running away, hiring, developing, sending of messages etc...).

The age 2 ticker running will just be making all of the above more noticable and go on for a longer length of time than before.

Deloitte

Pruner
Page Generation Time: 2.663s
Page Load Time: 2.89s.

a bit of both looks like. but then it goes back to normal.

Tombi

Harvester
Pre Tick
Page Generation Time: 0.0295s
Page Load Time: 0.345s.

After tick:
Page Generation Time: 0.1125s
Page Load Time: 0.363s.

No problems for me :D

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Can you please move the ticker for age 2 1 minute behind w1 ? First seconds after tick are sometimes very important in w1 and i don't think it's right a fun/test pw to interfere :s

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Can you please move the ticker for age 2 1 minute behind w1 ? First seconds after tick are sometimes very important in w1 and i don't think it's right a fun/test pw to interfere :s

Ahahahahah wtfpwned.

Although I agree with the noobe.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To be fair I've been looking at the timers, and the account ticker takes almost as long than the age 2 ticker process wise, and that's always been running. The age 2 ticker has added between 3-8 seconds on to this time, depending on the tick (probably some extremes). The account ticker ranges between 2 and 8 seconds. The bot ticker is usually about 1-2 seconds at most. These all add to the "slow down" experienced immediately following a tick.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Don't quite understand all the timings you said there, but i'm experiencing browser 'freeze' for 5-10 seconds after tick if i want to recall/send a mob right after tick. I looked once at the load time and even if it took a few seconds to 'unfreeze' it said load time of 0.3 seconds.
As i said that's in some cases critical time and i'd appreciate if it worked normal :) Don't see why age 2 can't tick at x1:00 :p