Ethernet splitting

Davs

Garden Designer
I am what one could describe as a technological retard. As such, techno babble about certain items which sound handy confuses me.
Now you understand my condition, I present to you the problem:

I'm trying to find a means of cheaply (emphasis on cheap) splitting an ethernet wall socket into two, so I can plug 2 computers into the web at the same time without using a router (yes, there is an important reason why I can't just use a router, but it's not relevant to this issue, just be aware that this is not an option for me). As such I started searching for ethernet splitters. In doing so I found this:

https://secure.cdlmicro.co.uk/html/show_product.php/pid/316

I managed to work out that you need 2 of them to do what I want them to do, but does anyone have the technical knowledge that can explain to me, a simpleton, why this is the case and how I would actually go about using them?

Much abliged

Dax

Hydroponics Developer

tomtree

Head Gardener
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you will only need to buy one of those adapters, plug it into the ethernet port/socket on the wall, then run an ethernet cable from each computer into the adapter. Should be pretty simple.

Edit:
Didnt see Dax's post, but yeh, I agree with what he said.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
sounds pretty impossible to me what you are suggesting :p

normal reason: 2 computers need different ip adresses to get on the modem which the router provides for them.

davs reason: say there is a truck (your modem) on the highway(interwebs) this truck can pull 1 bus (router) or a one man car(1 pc) but in the case of the bus being a router you can fit more people(pc) in the bus instead of pulling just on car with one people in it :)

what you are suggesting is just to tie two cars directly to the bus, it will get bloody messy!

what you need is a switch, but then you cant use the two pc's simultaneously

Dax

Hydroponics Developer

normal reason: 2 computers need different ip adresses to get on the modem which the router provides for them.

davs reason: say there is a truck (your modem) on the highway(interwebs) this truck can pull 1 bus (router) or a one man car(1 pc) but in the case of the bus being a router you can fit more people(pc) in the bus instead of pulling just on car with one people in it :)

what you are suggesting is just to tie two cars directly to the bus, it will get bloody messy!

A router can simultaneously provide up to ~250 IP addresses for one private network. All of these computers on the private network would use one ISP DNS address, though.
There's nothing stopping you sharing the connection with 255 computers, but the connection would suck.

tomtree

Head Gardener

I think it will work, whilst my example is a little different it does show that you can use one ethernet port for multiple internet connections.

At uni we have on a number of occasions linked up multiple xbox's and all played online together. we did this by plugging an ethernet cable into the port on the wall, then plugging the other end into a router/modem (not sure which one). and the plugging each xbox into the router using more ethernet cables. So we were all using the same ethernet port and we were playing onlin (not LAN).

Edit:
Dax is just too quick for me...

Davs

Garden Designer
Thanks a lot guys. You've been of great assistance. Also, I love your analogy atsan :p

Davs

Garden Designer
Just as an update - switch bought (for just over a fiver = win) and it's working wonderfully. Thanks again, guys.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
does anyone know a good way of sharing one hard drive with several computers without having to go to the lengths of having your own server?

Yes! Right click the hard drive in question, and select the 'sharing and security' option. Obviously this is if your computer is Windows XP through til 7. It's all very easy, and the wizard should help you make it appear in different ways, having different folders available, and the like.
Any more questions, drop me a message and I'll do my best to help!