Dev Multiplier

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
In short, I don't think anyone has fully grasped what a negative impact the dev multiplier dropping this fast has had on the dynamics of the game this round.

There is a point after the round starts wherein the leading alliance faces opposition from ranks 2/3 onwards. This is generally the second weekend after round start, however no such activity can take place this round because rank 1 have secured their position with units they wouldn't have normally had at this point.

Not only this but alliance war aside, units have had their domination period drastically changed, which has also been a bit of a mess tbh, and has contributed to the above.

"Why didnt the resistance go sooner, then?" - Resistance alliances are very poorly organised in general anyway - generally because they require the "losing" alliances to get their act together and contact each other to sort this out. This happening less than 4-5 days in just weren't going to happen.

We're now left with the prospect of a very poor, drawn-out round because nobody is going to be able to shift rank 1 from the top spot. Many of the people who could have made the round interesting have now gave up, and I for one am not going to blame them tbh.

-

omgpop arent to blame, they've played the best - nobody is going to argue that - my point is this problem has meant they're even less likely to find any competition for rank 1 and this has been the case from less than 4 days in - something I personally find quite worrying. (and is a problem for them as much as anyone else, nobody wants an easy win - At least nobody good :p)

Darryl

Head Gardener
From what I've read, Azzer realised it was dropping too fast, changed the rate it dropped at, but it was too late. Not much that can be done, he can't exactly start taking funds from people or whack the DM up again. Better luck next round, I guess.

Turnip2k

Harvester
13 allies with more than 1 person in them - is this normal? Not a great turnout! Did the round stagnating so fast have anything to do with this?

Ram

Head Gardener
"Why didnt the resistance go sooner, then?" - Resistance alliances are very poorly organised in general anyway - generally because they require the "losing" alliances to get their act together and contact each other to sort this out. This happening less than 4-5 days in just weren't going to happen.

The resistance tried once or twice and Silence ****ed them over. The resistance would send 1,2 and CUN T would send at 4 so they would be the ones landing. From what I've been told the person(s) holding the rank 3-6 alliances together for the resistance got pissed off with Silence and disbanded the resistance.

CUN T probably would have been able to kill us if they had the resistance, probably even without. But they waited till we had Grens and that was pretty much the end of them.

ollie|

Weeder
so why did it drop so quick? cant have been due to massive increase in amount of players =P

IceOfFire

Garden Designer
I was told it was because Azzer thought many players would quit after the big crash, so made the dev multi drop quicker.

But the same amount of players signed up so it dropped to quick.

Thus making Nanos useless very quickly, killing CUN T

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Azzer might have increased the decrease/dev, but there were roughly 35% more players at the start of this round than last round.

Changer

Head Gardener
Im sure Azzer would have mentioned any increase in the speed that the modifier dropped in his portal changes. Since there is no so mention then I would have to assume its purely because of a larger / more active playerbase.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
iam sure azzer has made the ratio at which the multiplier drops dependant on how many people sign up for the game, if not, then he should :p

Ram

Head Gardener
iam sure azzer has made the ratio at which the multiplier drops dependant on how many people sign up for the game, if not, then he should :p

I would say evidently not looking at the multiplier.

Amanala

Harvester
That's the risk you take when you rely on factors you can't control (i.e. the dev. multiplier). There is always the risk that a grand plan won't work, and as it turned out, having eight players rush nanos, didn't work this time around.

Assuming the development multiplier hadn't dropped so quickly, then the world tables wouldn't look very much differently at all, it'd just be them instead of us, eight nanos and all.

It looks as though an attempt to blame something or anything but the failed plan itself. This is why you should never put all of your eggs in one basket, ALWAYS have a plan B.

It was plain to see the speed at which the multiplier was dropping, there was ample warning, and route setups could have been varied to suit. That's no joke.

Last edited:

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Im sure Azzer would have mentioned any increase in the speed that the modifier dropped in his portal changes. Since there is no so mention then I would have to assume its purely because of a larger / more active playerbase.

He said on IRC that he had made the dev multiplier drop something like 2.8 times faster (so a huge difference) due to the playerbase being alot smaller...wasnt it last round that the multiplier took more than half the round to hit 1???

However alot more people are playing this round so the change wasnt really needed, however like Darryl said it was too late by the time Azzer changed it back.

Ram

Head Gardener
He said on IRC that he had made the dev multiplier drop something like 2.8 times faster (so a huge difference) due to the playerbase being alot smaller...wasnt it last round that the multiplier took more than half the round to hit 1???

Last round the multiplier didn't have chance to hit 1.