• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Alternative sleep mode suggestion

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
[Edit] @ Davs[/edit]

There are 1,066 IDs (602 with more than 1000 land). Only 18 are asleep atm.

I fail to see logic

btw, Alci your point is valid, but we cannot be sure unless we try

At the time I posted, there were more. And I'm not exactly the only person with a negative attitude towards the "over use" (imo) of sleep mode. I need only to point you in the direction of the many things said about the alliance "Old Farts" in a round prior to this current round.

Plus this is hardly the best time to look for IDs in sleep mode. Check again in 6 hours.

well, there is a lot more, all of 26 :/ maybe i should try again in a few hours...

19 of whom are in the top 200. So about 10% of the top 200 are in sleep mode right now.

26 IDs is a lot when you consider how small the active playerbase is.

Davs

Garden Designer
So what constitutes abusing sleep mode ?

I prefer the term "over use" as opposed to "abuse". Abuse suggests bending rules, when in fact people are just taking advantage of what I see as a flawed system. I'm not, nor have I ever, said that people should not use sleep mode at all, I just feel that the use of such a feature should be limited, so that people actually feel a need to develop their playstyles - it may even lead to them becoming better players, so actually everyone should benefit from it.

Ahead

Head Gardener

I prefer the term "over use" as opposed to "abuse". Abuse suggests bending rules, when in fact people are just taking advantage of what I see as a flawed system. I'm not, nor have I ever, said that people should not use sleep mode at all, I just feel that the use of such a feature should be limited, so that people actually feel a need to develop their playstyles - it may even lead to them becoming better players, so actually everyone should benefit from it.

Agreed, and well said.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Agreed, and well said.

Seconded. Good answer Davs.

lillie

Harvester

Bad chioce of wording from me obviously :s

I do agree partially with what you saying but when you log in and you are zeroed and land farmed on a regular basis it ceases to be a fun game.

I`m sure once I and maybe others have learnt the finer points of this game sleep mode would not be such an issue.

Maybe try a poll on those who use sleep mode asking why they choose to use it so often.

3/4 hrs I feel could really be over used and I cannot imagine how that would help the player base... football match on half the player base would be on sleep mode :)

Problem is this game is played on so many different levels its difficult to find a middle ground and keep everyone happy.

but thats what makes the game so interesting.

Turnip2k

Harvester
We need to remove the reason WHY people want to hit sleep mode.

Sleep mode is a symptom of a much bigger problem. Lets try to fix the problem rather than bickering about the symptoms.

So, what your saying is..

Make all troops NLD or NLT, make sure you cant steal any land from now on, and ofcourse! let the people who play inactive a reason to gain a nice rank?

Sleep mode should be removed in total, or stay as it is, with a max sleep period of 24 hours per week.

Did I say any of that? No. Did I mention rank? No.

Actually read what is posted, or don't bother replying.

There needs to be MORE battles, not less. Sleep mode is killing off the battles - people need to be encouraged to fight.

Remove base bounty. Make AR harder to get, but last longer. Increace insurance - start working on war declarations and all that ally stuff to allow people to actively zero each other.

People on these forums generally (not all) are high level, quite active players. They will only ever see things from there perspective - and your comment on rank highlights this. Lower ranked people don't give a crap about rank, they just want enough units and decent targets to attack to get a little more land. Geting raped and farmed over and over is not fun for them, because they don't play actively enough to actually play the game, they are simply rebuilding and dieing all the time.

Again - this game has LARGE proboblems. Sleep mode is just a manifestation of them. Lets figure out the bigger issues and fix them. Plugging up holes in a dam doesn't help when the dam itself is splitting in half.

Davs

Garden Designer
Turnip, I agree with you that people should battle more - 'tis in the nature of the game (or so I used to think).
But I'm of the impression that some of these little holes have to be plugged up (as you put it) before we can work on ways to really work on the more major issues.

Madmeater

Harvester
How about a "bigger they are, the harder they fall" logic?

The higher a person's rank, the more Injuries/insurance they get.

The lower a person's rank the less Injuries/Insurance they get.

With rank 1 being a 'low' rank and rank 1000 being a 'high' rank.

Have injuries and insurance go from, say, 80% at rank 600+ and begin to scale down to as you get to the top ranks.

In my mind this will encourage combat in the mid-low ranks as players have less to lose (And less troops) but will also allow the top ranks to be killed off in the instance of a resistance, and not have such a large insurance.

Have the ticker take a snapshot of the players rank before it generates their losses, and scale the injuries/insurance accordingly.

If players stand to lose less if they don't sleep, they wont sleep as often.
Perhaps increase the time it takes for insurance to arrive so people dont just get everything back as soon.

Make the game less about seed saving, land whoring, and troop farming and more about:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I agree, i was actually thinking almost the same thing the other day; only had different numbers in mind, such as 50% max insurance (i was just thinking a little more conservative i guess :p)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Not a shabby idea at first glance.

my only concern is the same one i've always had with insurance/injuries, in that once they 'return' you 'bounce' back into range of those who killed you in the first place, especially with injury/insurance levels that high so basically it means you get killed more often, rather than less often. Other than that, i like the general idea of scaling although scaled effects have been rather noticeably tricky to keep accurate and understandable in previous attempts.

Madmeater

Harvester
what about diminishing returns?
Have something where if a person returns for an attack within X ticks, their target get something similar to an AR mod, where injuries and insurance increase and the enemie's bounty/land gain decreases?

If the slate is wiped clean after, say, 60 ticks of no action (10 hours), sleep mode would be discouraged, as you would get attacked again as soon as you leave sleep. This means you would want to stay out of sleep to allow yourself to grow during their 'high AR' time.

For example:

Player A is bashing player B:

Player B loses troops and is land raped. He gains normal injuries/insurance

Player A returns to player B for more land as soon as his troops get home.
Player A would have a reduced grab for a repeated bach (level 1 - could be something like a max of 9% land before other reductions, 75% bounty.
Player B would have 50% base injurIes and insurance. WHILE DEFENDING

Player A returns for a third time on player B
Player A has a 4% land grab and 25% bounty
Player B has 75% injury and insurance WHILE DEFENDING

Could kill a few birds with one stone:

Reduce need for sleep
Reduces bashing
Encourages defence, rather than sending away and taking the hit
Players would have to find more than one easy target if they wanna get the most out of their bashes.
Ofcourse you can still bash people over and over, you will just not gain as much.

Have this effect removed via WAAAAGH

Means more fightin' and less cryin'!

Last edited:

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
i read the firs page bit childish as its my thread i started. but no one agrees. but i dont soo a down side to wanting to keep people in he coimmunity and let them pick and chose there play style

all im saying is from a player bas and business point of view making the game more accessable to pople with less time should be a good thing? and i totally understand where every one else is coming from, I thought exactly! the same.

AND TOBY BIG RED WIN BUTTON? think about it. if your in an allaince and always sleeping to make it convinient then ur allaince will never have onlines to cover, so strictly for solos if im sleeping loads, i get like noooo seeds. how the hell is that a "big red win button" im on about incorperating this into athe larger ideas azzer has. making land more valuable not troops. and playing around with bounty.

im not a lazy bounty hunter trying to get ahead. and if the other changes happen that azzer proposes this is far from a big red win button. infact its the complete opposite. it just means i get to actually build up in moderation. people play these games to get better grow and get bigger. whether thats in rank or just in thier own little world. so let them. get more players get more business for azzer

maybe im being selfish by wanting this. but you guys are definately being selfish if not properly considering it from other peoples point of view.

Madmeater

Harvester
i read the firs page bit childish as its my thread i started. but no one agrees. but i dont soo a down side to wanting to keep people in he coimmunity and let them pick and chose there play style

all im saying is from a player bas and business point of view making the game more accessable to pople with less time should be a good thing? and i totally understand where every one else is coming from, I thought exactly! the same.

AND TOBY BIG RED WIN BUTTON? think about it. if your in an allaince and always sleeping to make it convinient then ur allaince will never have onlines to cover, so strictly for solos if im sleeping loads, i get like noooo seeds. how the hell is that a "big red win button" im on about incorperating this into athe larger ideas azzer has. making land more valuable not troops. and playing around with bounty.

im not a lazy bounty hunter trying to get ahead. and if the other changes happen that azzer proposes this is far from a big red win button. infact its the complete opposite. it just means i get to actually build up in moderation. people play these games to get better grow and get bigger. whether thats in rank or just in thier own little world. so let them. get more players get more business for azzer

maybe im being selfish by wanting this. but you guys are definately being selfish if not properly considering it from other peoples point of view.

Thing is, sleep mode is just a band-aid fix to people not wanting to lose troops.
This means that the sleeping person is not avaliable to be attacked, nor can they help defend.

Now the latter is not so bad for a solo, but for an alliance member it is a great disadvantage.

Not only does it weaken our defence, making it blatantly obvious to anyone with a half decent ID list, it means there are less players to attack in the case of an alliance war.

I would have no problem with sleep being disabled whilst in an alliance, or at the very least, when war is declared:

"You cannot enter sleep mode while your alliance is at war!"

This is the no deserter rule, during war you watch the back of the man next to you, and he watches yours.

Perhaps the war system needs to be revamped?
Make it more 'Exciting'...

Guerrilla tactics
During war, a mob may gain -1 ETA when attacking if the mob consists of less than 30% of their total troop score.

War tacticians
Only during war, the HQunit "War tactician" may be used.

This is an old school PoM unit, with overpowered stats.

Missile Silo
Long range missile intended for HQ to HQ combat
only avaliable during war.
Has high ETA, maybe 6 or 7
Fires close only
Very low init (Fires before ANYTHING else.
Does disgusting amounts of damage (Think 10 t-rexes taped together), but only if it survives to the last tick.
Massive costs
Stealthed, revealing ETA 1

Just a few Ideas to spice war declaration up...

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
wily: i don't have problems with people choosing their playstyle, but the solution you proposed simply wasn't (in my and apparently other people's opinions) a good one. So please get over your wounded pride and add to the further solutions proposed here. Madmeater has some good ideas that with a little tweaking can be turned into viable solutions.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
wily: i don't have problems with people choosing their playstyle, but the solution you proposed simply wasn't (in my and apparently other people's opinions) a good one. So please get over your wounded pride and add to the further solutions proposed here. Madmeater has some good ideas that with a little tweaking can be turned into viable solutions.

no alcibiads dont get me wrong i really like that scaling idea, if we can get a nice value that works put on the scaling factor it would be really good.

but it doesnt help encourage people who have been active and worked hard to then not use sleep because they are having current life style move around new jobs new place. as it is im settled in my job and routine now. and I see the problem with my suggestion. maybe be more accomodating to using it over 8hrs then. i mean if i could do 8 hrs for sleeping then 9 hours for work i wouldnt have to mix my spare time and my work at all. im just saying that sometimes 12 hours would suit you more than 8. etc etc. and all it does is mean you are still able to play when you come back and fit the game in around your life. not your life around the game. sure my suggestion made it a bit too accessable. but the way i see it
YOU SHOULD ONLY EVER SLEEP WHEN SOLO> (or puppet in a mid range alliance-*looks at septimus*)

and if your using it when solo its because you cant be on and you have no one to cover you back as your AR has dropped. so there is nothing else you can do. but by making it that from 8-24 hr sleep mode you can pick a number that suits your needs then you gain nothing. you havent got to worry about dying sure. But if you sleep for 13 hours the amount of seeds you lose is phenominal. its no advantage just a way to be able to play around a busy life. you are gaining less seeds. and as such you will never be big competition or win. but least when you log on you havent been raped three times over. (which does happen) lost all your troops except a few hippy/yob/gard and have wawves of flack raping your acres. Its a disheartening circumstance, which no game mechanic suggested so far would prevent hence why i still feel a more flexible sleep mode would help. maybe not shorten it for every convinience but make it so if you dont work and 8 hr day you work a 12 hr day. then you can play too.

my opinion. I dont see my suggestion being taken. so ill let it rest. but its a shame as havign tasted both sides of the cake i think it would definately help with all the people quiting, and all the time you have to comit to the game which at the moment is killing it. also working people have money to invest in there hobbies and interests.
keep up the good alternative suggestions :)