For the silent majority

Max

Garden Designer
This is aimed at you- yes, you who have read this- the wheels are falling off, so we need to tighten the screws.

I agree with MattM's sentiments entirely. This is a great game, with a great playerbase. All the playerbase needs to do is improve its general attitude and it will be far more appealing for new players to join.

Why can't we all get on enjoying the game? <3

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
I don't think you can really change people's attitudes and how people behave, particularly in an environment where there are no real repurcussions.

I've been playing for 2-3 years now and I have definitely noticed a steady increase in the number of players who don't agree with certain new changes slowly lose their patience and have started taking it out on everyone else. The forums have become an e-penis competition, nothing more.

The forums worked before without "real repercussions." If you can't control yourself without thousands of rules telling you how to control yourself, how the hell are you supposed to get by in real life? (This isn't directed at you CF, a more general statement.)

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
i heard that they weren't very fussed about the ban, knowing that i dont really have to bother myself with questions about if it was justice or not.

viewing this from a neutral position all i can say is:
its azzer's job.
he has to live from this game.
if his view is that those people are bad for his game then its nothing but normal to act.

from a personal view:
ive lost some friends, and iam sad about the way it happened
2 it hope to see in funkytown from time to time to catch up.

and the other one ill have to query. but hes worth it, every second.

solong

lillie

Harvester
Nice one Azzer I personally think this says it all....

Its a game and should be FUN even though it is far to addicitve :s

Mysterious

Harvester
People will always differ in opinion. People who are adults will find it hard to change attitudes they have spent a lifetime nurturing. All you can do is agree to disagree and move on. There is no need for this petty in-fighting within the forums. Just hold hands and sing "Kumbaya".

Oh, and play the game.

Leah

Pruner
I don't think anyone's suggested it was a 'trap' (see bracketed comment in my original post), but there's no denying it was messy from beginning to end.

As I also stated in my original post- that was not an attack on an individual or group- I am concerned that Leah/Bahnsen seem to have taken my thread as an attack on Azzer. Make no mistake it wasn't- it was an attack on everyone.

Sorry for the delayed response, but no, I did not take it as you attacking Azzer. Azzer even stated, in this thread, that he agreed with you. It just seemed that you had managed to create a thread to discuss this issue that was remaining far more calm and rational than the other one (perhaps because of the other one? ;) )

My point was more that if people don't like how Azzer handled it, tough. They forced him into it. He's tried everything else.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
It's nice to see some players have retained their utterly poor attitudes and continue to vent their petty little 4chan inspired rages on these forums. Way to go guys, hypocrisy ftw. You know who you are so it's unnecessary to name and shame (contrary to some methods here). And while it's obvious you simply won't care, or at least pretend to think you're a 'hard man' on the internet then so be it but i just thought i'd mention some of it here.

Davs

Garden Designer
Attitudes of people don't change just because a few OTHER people get banned. The attitudes are, have been and will always be the main cause of people getting tired of the game and leaving (I know it's made me consider it often enough). Doom is inevitable as long as certain individuals have fingers to type with.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Then the obvious solution is to use a miniaturized version of a guillotine and remove their fingers. And a few other extremities while we're at it ;)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Oh ye.
Someone posts "The game" in the spam forum and people post banter back.
Madness.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
It's the attitude, not the location of samples of poor attitude that concerns me. It's not like that sort of behaviour is strictly limited to the spam forum. But perhaps that is a subtlety you missed in your haste?

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Code:
Someone posts "The game" and people post banter back.
Madness.

Exactly the same point.

If someone posts "The game" as banter, then expect a bit of banter back.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
You obviously missed the point since they're not the same at all, unless we're interpreting the statements very differently. Since i would hate to spam up this thread (anymore than we already have) you can PM me in private for further clarification and education as needs be. I await your PM.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Make your point here Alci - this *is* on the discussion of Attitude.

If you can't understand banter works both ways then don't get involved in it.
He posted a "The game" thread, and got a bit of banter back at him.
What's your problem exactly?

Edit: If a mod wants to edit all of our posts in there, they can do if they deem it inappropriate...
For me personally it was a joke, and i can't speak for Ram and Marvin but i would guess it was a joke to them too.

I don't think any of us have a problem with Dav's.

Illumination

Head Gardener
MattM, from what I know, you are a great young man- who has a great OLD father (so your greatness is to be expected:p). You are educated, confident and kind. James (Capt Falcon) and many other players of your age group are the same (so although Id like to say its an age thing- and people will grow up some day, its just not the case). Some people just treat others ingame with respect, and some dont mind presenting themselves as a poorly raised ass. I have to agree with Capt Falcon here, you aren't going to change the mentality of the player base- the very people that need to take a true look at themselves, are the ones that somehow get an ego boost from the acknowledgment they receive as they are being called mean, arrogant or just detrimental to the game.

What is unfortunate, is that the egos are chasing away/have chased away the very community that makes Bushtarion what it is.

I agree with your gripe, I agree with Capt Falcon as well. There are some loud players that just aren't very respectful, and its hard to change who a person is. It would sure be nice if the people with true confidence, the kind that dont need to belittle others in order to make people think they are cool, stepped up and took some leadership roles:) Hopefully thats what all the training alliances are about next round.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
What the hell is with all this talk about players "chasing away" the community? I'm getting tired of people making totally random, unsupported statements with no evidence to back them up. Yet there is no way of disputing it because the players who don't play anymore aren't likely to post on here to prove them wrong.

If you have a long list of people who have quit the game because of something another player has said to them, then please show it rather than making wild assumptions. I think it's much more likely that people leave the community because of totally unrelated reasons, such as heavy workload, exams, boredom with the game, etc. I can't remember any threads on goodbye country along the lines of "I'm leaving the game because f0xx didn't like my suggestion".

There are two sides to every coin. For every player annoyed at me for making seemingly rude posts, there is another who is annoyed at the person I was aiming my post towards. Who are you to judge which player is of more value to the community? I'm willing to tolerate the people who make daft posts. Where is your tolerance? These forums are rife with hypocrisy.

If someone is going to go all weepy about being told their posts make no sense, or that their suggestions are bad, then maybe they should think about the possible reactions before making posts? Think about the possible responses to the post, and try to come up with good counter-arguments to them, and if you can't think of a good counter-argument, then don't be surprised if other people shoot it down. And if you make your post and it gets shot down, take it on the chin and learn from it.

I remember several posts in the original thread by Azzer rejoicing because the evil "vocal minority" had been banned, and that they would all be posting on forums a lot more now that they didn't have to worry about their posts being ruined by f0xx and Garrett with all that horrible logic that they hated so much. Where are they now? Forum activity has dropped significantly since the bannings.

I think global warming has led to people not playing bushtarion anymore. Prove me wrong.

CFalcon

Official Helper
There's a whole spectrum of people in a community toby, and large parts of it will follow your model of how people behave (taking hostility on the chin). But there will be some (I can think of a few off the top of my head, but I won't be writing up a list for you ;) ) who will be put off engaging in the community by a hostile environment. It's certainly nonsense to say that a hostile community will be just as productive/enticing numbers-wise as a friendly one. And numbers are the name of the game at this stage in the game's life, so what's the harm in trying?

I have definitely noticed the suggestions forum has become much more friendly, and thus more productive, in the last few days/weeks.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
My point is that people become hostile for a reason. Seeing the same posts over and over, and knowing that a little bit of thought before posting would've saved everyone a lot of time. Of course it's frustrating seeing the same posts about the weather, for example, when we know a quick search would've thrown up numerous results for the same idea. If it is a new player then I'll be lenient. But if it's an older player who has been around for a while, then my patience runs out. They should know about the search function.

And I don't disagree that there are a few people who are put off by the hostile environment, as you put it. But there are also ones who are put off by the overwhelming abundence of spammy threads. And both those groups are vastly outnumbered by the people who quit for totally unrelated reasons.

And then I get people accusing me of being "hostile" or "arrogant", when in fact I'm just annoyed that these people don't have any common sense. It's like slapping a dog repeatedly round the face and then being surprised when it bites you :p For every thread that gets shot down, there are hundreds which are ignored. The actual proportion of threads which result in "hostile" posts is miniscule.

And I, personally, do not think the suggestions thread is any more productive than it ever was. There has been an increase in route suggestions (most of which are rubbish imo) but few suggestions on anything else.