Blog about my baby boy diagnosed with leukemia

Bully

Weeder
Re: Blog about my baby boy diagnosed with leukemia

Updated
=======

Sunday 23rd March 2008.

Ted does not have a genetic mutation from the leukaemia. The doctors have said this means that he won’t automatically relapse. He is holding his red cells and is maintaining a good temperature and pulse. He no longer needs fluids and will start full blown Chemotherapy Tuesday 25th march.

The doctors seem to agree that he is doing very well, and shows all the signs of someone that should beat this illness. We would like to thank everyone for all the support and kindnesses shown so far.

I visited Ted on Easter Sunday, and managed to grab 5 minutes with him, it really does touch my heart just how brave someone so tiny is. I truly am blessed to of been given such wonderful children to look after in this life. Once again thank you all for your prayers, thoughts and good feelings towards my family especially ted.

The Drummonds.

DSC00045-1.jpg

Illumination

Head Gardener

Boy do those two look alike!!! Two handsome fellows there:)

Go get 'em Ted!

Somebody

Pruner

Hey!

I'm a couple of days late into this - I apologise!

But My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time

Your son is adorable! He has lovely eyes!

Here's praying for a full and speedy recovery!

Love Claire
aka Somebody
xxx

Bully

Weeder

==========================
updated 6th April 2008

teddy-1.jpg

Ted is on his 3rd week of chemotherapy. The doctors are still pleased with his response to the medication. However he is in significant pain and being given morphine every 4 hours.
Last week he removed his own gastric nasal tube, and seemed very pleased with his efforts as he was playing with the tube out of the end of his nose.

The staff had decided to initially not replace the tube for a few days, however Ted's health had dropped significantly.

He is currently not allowed visitors as he has contracted flu and a gastric bug. This weakened him to the point of him being unable to feed unaided, and means he is sleeping up to 20 hours a day. We understand that there will be high and low points during his treatment and this for me apart from the initial diagnosis of his illness is one of the lowest points.

I hope and pray that this coming week sees Ted’s strength and immune system build up enough to fight the flu and tummy bug which is taking such a toll on his body.

Further updates will probably be every 2 weeks.

http://www.justgiving.com/kennysnaddon
https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/teddrummond

Both these fundraising links have been setup by friends of ours and will enable family and friends who have asked us how they can offer support a couple options.

Bully

Weeder

tedill.jpg

Just got word that my boy is so poorly that they will be giving him antibiotics to help fight his flu, plus may have to stop his chemo in order for his body to have the strength to fight this.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

didn't plan on logging in again after my last post in gripes, but this is the only thread I read until the end of the round....

so damn it... is ted better yet? or does he still have the flu :(

I take a lapse between updates as not a great sign :(

*hugs*

Illumination

Head Gardener

*checks in*

Im always wishing you well Ted, may the sun shine warm upon you and brighten your day:)

Bully

Weeder

Hi all,

Firstly sorry about the long pause between the updates, things have kept us busy for the last 3 weeks. Ted is currently at home as we speak. He successfully completed the first stage of Chemotherapy and was discharged from Great Ormond Street hospital Last Sunday. The first report from GOSH says on his admittance he had 90% of cancerous blood cells, 5% red cells and 5% white cells / platelets. And by day 8 of treatment that figure had dropped to 1% of cancerous blood cells.

He now has a nurse visiting once to twice a week. For blood tests and to check and clean his Hickman line dressing etc.

It has been a great blessing having Sarah and Ted at home this week. The whole family has been uplifted and Ted has bounced back to the bundle of fun and laughter he formerly was.

Ted was scheduled to start phase 2 of chemotherapy last week however certain blood levels were not as high as the hospital needed them to be, which means he currently has no immune system. He will have another blood test on Monday to determine if he can start phase 2 on Tuesday.

Whenever phase 2 starts it will involve a very long day at GOSH for Sarah and Ted, leaving the house at 6am and possibly returning back as late as 10pm. He will then have a combination of visits to our local hospital and GOSH every day for the following 32 odd days. Fortunately this round of chemotherapy is a lot less aggressive than the first round so he should not be as out of sorts or in as much discomfort.

Once again thank you all for your prayers, support and friendship during this change in our life.

The Drummonds.

n684572788_424209_4104.jpg

Illumination

Head Gardener

When I look at that picture, I hear that deep deep belly laugh that babies get when you do that rediculously silly thing to them for the 26th time and they think its funnier each time its done! He looks happy Bully and he looks completely loved, a beautiful picture.

Nonny

Harvester

I can't wait to get home and show my wife the new pic with the good news. Only tears of joy, the way we like it!!

Fingers crossed, may the recovery path be a steep up and up :D :D :D :D :D !!

No-Dachi

Official Helper

I guess my e-card is a bit late, then? I sent it before I'd read through the thread..

I wish you the best of luck!

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

What a wonderful pic! I stared at it for like five minutes with a big smile on my face. Garrett and I were hoping that no news was good news. Bully, I'm so happy that your family is back home for you. I know you have a long road ahead, but that baby looks well loved and I'm sure you will all pull through it and be stronger in the end. Please keep us updated :)

-Tana

Somebody

Pruner

Ted is gorgeous :D

Glad to hear the first stage went well!

Please keep us updated! (I really should log in more...)

*hugs to the family*

Nevaes

Weeder

I have a fairly young son myself. Due to a very long story that I won't go on about here, I do not get to see him. He was born beginning of this year. If something like this was to happen to him, I would be in tears constantly. It is rather hard not getting to see my son. I was in tears reading this. I read just your posts, and no one elses. Still kind of uhh.. bawling. I am very happy that your son is improving. I really hope the best for you, your son, and your family. Will definitely keep your family, and him in my thoughts. Wish him well for me, Tye'.

Take care.

Nevaes a.k.a. Tye'

saint1d

Head Gardener

Has anyone heard any more on how Ted is progressing?

Elderveld

Official Helper

I've send a card towards the site he gave, Not actualy looking at the date he posted (was sort of a hypnotic feeling, only thinking about how it was and sending the card!)

I cannot say im not touched, im realy reading this all whit much respect and can probably only guess how hard this must be.

Best of luck! hope he gets better soon!

Younge

Planter

Been away from the game for a while and remember reading this post before i left.
just wanted to check up and hope everything is going well and best of luck with everything.
My little cousin had this from round the same age till his early teens and still has to have check up now. My family went through a lot but pushed through it together.

Best of luck to you and my wishes go out.

younge

Bully

Weeder

Its been way too long since i last updateds however.

A lot has happened this year apart from Ted spending most of his time in hospital , I've lost both my parents to cancer. So forgive the lapse...

Currently as I write this message I'm in our local hospital, with my son who is unable to eat or drink, he is a shaddow of his former self. Down to 9.7 kg for a 15 month old, which puts him in the bottom 2% weight for his age. Compared to the chunky baby that he has mostly been. (in a comical light, his skin looks like the men in black guy who got took over by an alien and its dropping off him in places)

He is poorly however I never give up hope, and i'm greatful for every day that he is still with us.

meted.jpg

This was a few weeks ago, when he was not as ill as he is today.

We should be going to centreparcs on monday for a weeks holiday, something that we have been looking forward to all year. However I will continue to stay in hospital with him whilst my wife takes our 2 other children, (they seriously need a break from hospitals)

Thanks for all your messages of support. I hope to find some time to joining in next round next year.

God bless
bully & family