Calm down

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
You, Dimitar and Garrett (Or the trio of negativity, as you all might be called) are all quite frankly killjoys. Nobody is forcing you to visit the suggestions sub-forum, if doing so distresses you to the point your head is on the brink of exploding - then do your heart a favour and avoid it.

Have you actually read a single one of my posts in the suggestion forum, because judging from this, you can't possibly have done.

I'm hardly "militant". I did not make this thread. I wouldn't have made this thread. I wouldn't have said anything on here at all if I wasn't automatically lumped in with the "trio of negativity" by yourself simply because a log of me dismissing ONE idea as retarded was used in the original post. I didn't know Dimitar was going to make this thread using it. But now that the the thread does exist, I've posted my opinion on the matter and my explanation for it. But rather than focus on that you've giddily and excitably jumped on my comment calling you giddy and excitable, and you've written a load of drivel based on it. Good job.

As I have already said, I have posted ideas on suggestions myself, and I have given every suggestion due consideration before agreeing or disagreeing with it, and I usually explain why. That you don't know this is proof that you don't read what I write, not that I am a dismissive killjoy and a negative changeaphobe.

And toby, my post was mainly directed at Garrett who's been acting like a spoilt 12 year old ******** in people's sandwiches for kicks.

Well then man up and address it to him rather than using generalisations which could apply to several people.

. Probably one of the main causes for a playerbase decline.

I find it highly unlikely that suggestions getting shot down is a reason to quit the game. Most players don't even use forums, and the ones who do would have to be pretty thin-skinned to quit because of it.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I'm not allowed to express my feelings about the activity in the forums? I'm kindly asking you to go away. If you don't like this thread you're also free to not read it. You sure as hell can't tell me what to read or comment.
I don't appreciate your post making fun of any potential health issue a user may have, and seeing how you've removed posts because of that in the past, I kindly ask to remove yours as well.
Give yourself an infraction for serious disregard for forum rules/other users as well.

PS: See thread title.

Woah woah good sir. I'm not telling you to do anything. Read/comment whatever you will as long as your posts conform to the rules.

Every post I've made in this thread has been in response to your original post and can be paraphrased by the following:

"You don't appreciate new ideas because you think they're a waste of time. I don't appreciate new suggestions/ideas being attacked with hostility."

I'm fairly sure I'm on more solid ground.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
And I'm fairly sure I've said multiple times that I never meant "I don't appreciate new ideas because I think they're a waste of time".

I would also like to point out that I've never rejected a suggestion without saying why.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
You, Dimitar and Garrett (Or the trio of negativity, as you all might be called) are all quite frankly killjoys. Nobody is forcing you to visit the suggestions sub-forum, if doing so distresses you to the point your head is on the brink of exploding - then do your heart a favour and avoid it.

Have you actually read a single one of my posts in the suggestion forum, because judging from this, you can't possibly have done.

I'm hardly "militant". I did not make this thread. I wouldn't have made this thread. I wouldn't have said anything on here at all if I wasn't automatically lumped in with the "trio of negativity" by yourself simply because a log of me dismissing ONE idea as retarded was used in the original post. I didn't know Dimitar was going to make this thread using it. But now that the the thread does exist, I've posted my opinion on the matter and my explanation for it. But rather than focus on that you've giddily and excitably jumped on my comment calling you giddy and excitable, and you've written a load of drivel based on it. Good job.

Toby on IRC said:
=(22:14:56)= <toby> it's like hearing we might get a new admin has completely ****ing overwhelmed the playerbase's intelligence and they're just suggesting any old ****

So this quote from you, on IRC, is with regard to a specific suggestion? Because it seems fairly clear from your words here that you're making a more general (and very hostile/combative) suggestion that the playerbase (not just one individual) is pointlessly making suggestions that aren't of any value whatsoever.

Which you now seem to be denying, even though you've been directly quoted by Dimitar in his first post :/

Dimitar said:
And I'm fairly sure I've said multiple times that I never meant "I don't appreciate new ideas because I think they're a waste of time"

Erm:

Dimitar said:
Seriously, what's with the millions of borderline idiotic suggestions that've been flooding the forums recently?

If you weren't talking utter nonsense before, Dimi, you certainly are now. Do us all a favour, go off, have a think to yourself and decide where you actually stand on this issue. When you've got something solid come back and tell us instead of blatantly contradicting yourself.

-

Lets all get back on topic:

Ignore the haters out there. If you have a suggestion in mind, don't be afraid of a handful of extremely cynical, narrow minded people. Whether you've put 5 minutes or 5 hours into an idea, make it public. Your input is appreciated (By the vast majority of us :) )

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Dimitar said:
And I'm fairly sure I've said multiple times that I never meant "I don't appreciate new ideas because I think they're a waste of time"

Erm:

Dimitar said:
Seriously, what's with the millions of borderline idiotic suggestions that've been flooding the forums recently?

If you weren't talking utter nonsense before, Dimi, you certainly are now. Do us all a favour, go off, have a think to yourself and decide where you actually stand on this issue. When you've got something solid come back and tell us, instead of blatantly contradicting yourself.

You misinterpreting my words doesn't make me contradict myself. If you read my initial post carefully, you'll find out that I'm only annoyed by the "borderline idiotic suggestions". Never said I was against novelty, never said I was against change, never said people shouldn't be making suggestions. Never said there was a problem that needed a solution. I only said I was annoyed. You know that, as you already replied to that post of mine.

PS: I think you're the one who's being narrowminded if you think disagreeing with two suggestions (that's how many I've posted on) makes me cynical or a hater. That and the fact that you're speaking to me, toby, and garrett like we're the same person, making the same posts. Go read the actual posts you're talking about before calling a fictional group of people cynical and narrowminded

PPS: the quote of toby was used out of context so I removed it

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
I have to mostly agree with Zaheen, Ogluk and DA here.. More suggestions = better. They aren't all gold, infact, most of them are crap, but by the law of sheer numbers, your guaranteed to get 1 or 2 decent ones if you post enough. :p For the crappy ones, explain why it's a bad idea, in a logical and professional manner (This will be hard for most!) and for the good ones, make sure you keep bumping it until someone else can explain why it's a bad idea or it gets implemented.. :D

And in toby's defense - He hasn't posted anything destructive in suggestions recently that I've seen, and as we already discussed, that quote was taken out of context. There should have been considerably more context, or the poster should have just posted his own words instead of piggying Toby's :p

But yea, Generally, you three are the first to shoot something down, and it's not always in a constructive way.

Last edited:

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Dimitar said:

Erm:

Dimitar said:

If you weren't talking utter nonsense before, Dimi, you certainly are now. Do us all a favour, go off, have a think to yourself and decide where you actually stand on this issue. When you've got something solid come back and tell us, instead of blatantly contradicting yourself.

You misinterpreting my words doesn't make me contradict myself. If you read my initial post carefully, you'll find out that I'm only annoyed by the "borderline idiotic suggestions". Never said I was against novelty, never said I was against change, never said people shouldn't be making suggestions. Never said there was a problem that needed a solution. I only said I was annoyed. You know that, as you already replied to that post of mine.

I haven't misinterpreted your words.

You said:

Dimi said:
People going crazy over the supposed sale of the game, and making senseless suggestions are drawing attention away from the actually good suggestions.

I said:

Para: Whether suggestions are perceived by you to be good or bad idea is of no relevance whatsoever in giving people who come up with ideas a basic, baseline amount of respect for making an attempt to further develop the game. These people should not be referred to as idiotic, their suggestions should not be met with hostility. We should be appreciate, at the very least, that they've taken time to add their input.

This entire thread ignores this, which is why you've found yourself in a negative light, along with Toby and Garrett, for pushing this so far as to make a gripe about it. You are essentially berating people for making a sincere effort to help (forget whether their help is going to be of any use in the long run). They still deserve respect as a member of the community doing more than just playing the game but actively trying to improve it.

If I were a new player, coming to the forums for the first time with an idea and read this thread first - I'd, without a doubt, be put off from saying a word. And that is sad, IMO.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Toby on IRC said:
=(22:14:56)= <toby> it's like hearing we might get a new admin has completely ****ing overwhelmed the playerbase's intelligence and they're just suggesting any old ****

So this quote from you, on IRC, is with regard to a specific suggestion? Because it seems fairly clear from your words here that you're making a more general (and very hostile/combative) suggestion that the playerbase (not just one individual) is pointlessly making suggestions that aren't of any value whatsoever.

Which you now seem to be denying, even though you've been directly quoted by Dimitar in his first post :/

Yes, it was about one suggestion.

It's called context. Look it up.

Please don't presume to tell me what my own words refer to when you weren't there and you don't know what we were talking about.

What seems fairly clear to you is what I'm fairly sure is called wrong. But what else is new.

It can hardly be called hostile/combative if I do it in a private channel with only a few friendly people. You really don't know ****.

Super DA, riding to the rescue of the damsel in distress to conquer the evil usurping forum beasts on his mighty steed, moustaches flowing in the summer breeze. But alas, his enemies are cunning and use treachery in their quest. What foulness is this? Logic? Begone, demon! I shall not have you on this forum! You shall not stand in the way of my 4-week round filled with Aliens and CRA, regardless of whether you want to or not! No, I shall not listen to any of your lies! Your words are poison! To save myself and the game I shall stopper up my ears and go "lalalalalalalalalala" until they all go away. Victory is mine! The world is safe...but for how long?

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
me said:
People going crazy over the supposed sale of the game, and making senseless suggestions are drawing attention away from the actually good suggestions.

"You don't appreciate new ideas because you think they're a waste of time."

Can you see why I don't think that's fair? I've disliked suggestions, I've liked suggestions, I've made suggestions. I've never told people to stop making suggestions. My whole point was that lately people have started making too many suggestions, without spening nearly enough time thinking about them, and that that was not a good thing. I don't see why you would find it appropriate to call me narrowminded and cynical over this

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Toby on IRC said:

Yes, it was about one suggestion.

It's called context. Look it up.

I see. So why didn't you just say:

<toby> it's like hearing we might get a new admin has completely ****ing overwhelmed [Elderverld's] intelligence and [he's] just suggesting any old ****

?

Instead of it looking very much like you're scornful of everything and everyone with an idea that isn't ready to go from the original post. (Aliens, woah woah, too far - In a game where we have vampires, werewolves, cybernetic t-rexes and petrol bombers all conceivably in the same fight - You're quite right, aliens would destroy the element of realism the game relies so heavily on :roll: )

As for the latter part of your post, I don't quite know what to make of it. If me defending the rights of our community members to put forth an idea without fear of being berated makes me deluded, then I dunno, I guess that makes me deluded?

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
In all fairness he didn't need to provide context as he didn't put the quote in here, I did. I've then realised it's misleading without the proper conext so I've removed it

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
As for the latter part of your post, I don't quite know what to make of it. If me defending the rights of our community members to put forth an idea without fear of being berated makes me deluded, then I dunno, I guess that makes me deluded?

Super DA! Defending the rights of our community members! Hero of the little man! Guardian of the faithful! Have no fear, puny mortals! Super DA is here!

Yes, you are deluded.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Super DA! Defending the rights of our community members! Hero of the little man! Guardian of the faithful! Have no fear, puny mortals! Super DA is here!

Yes, you are deluded.

Nothing more to offer by way of reasoned argument, Toby. Resorting to (lame) mocking/insults?

So unlike you.

mind-blown.gif

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Yes, you are deluded.

Nothing more to offer by way of reasoned argument, Toby. Resorting to (lame) mocking/insults?

I was making a point. A point founded in mockery, true, but you make it so easy.

The playerbase does not need you to protect them. You do not gain the moral highground simply because you claim we all need protecting. We're all adults and we can think for ourselves. You are not arguing for the playerbase, you are arguing for you. Put aside the self-righteousness for just one minute and think.

If an idea is stupid it should be pointed out as such. All ideas are not equal. Some ideas are controversial or flawed but have promise, some ideas are pure common sense, and some are flippant, or unnecessary, or downright contrary. Right now we do not need to be overloaded with unnecessary ideas.

Concentrate on the things which have needed to be done for a long time but couldn't, because we had no admin, not on new and frankly ridiculous ideas which could harm the game. In short, use your brains more and your keyboards less.

Zaheen

BANNED
Probably one of the main causes for a playerbase decline.
I find it highly unlikely that suggestions getting shot down is a reason to quit the game. Most players don't even use forums, and the ones who do would have to be pretty thin-skinned to quit because of it.
I disagree, maybe the players don't use the forums but I bet you a lot of them come on here and read them. When I play a new game I first look at what the player base is like.

If you start a massive MMO and there are a range of servers, you don't go diving into a server full of foul players unless you like that sort of thing - just saying. I can look back on my old posts and the way I reacted to many situations and I feel ashamed sometimes. Players will come and glance at the forums to find out if the game is good or not, and if all they see is people insulting each other and arguing they will not want to play and stick around.

Yes, if somebody suggests a ridiculous idea then why not laugh about it? There's no need to go around offending people by shooting down their ideas, you must be so arrogant and vile minded to think that you can just walk into any room and shout off your thoughts without a care in the world - you wouldn't do it in person so why do you do it online?

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
But this isn't real life, Zaheen. It's an online forum. Why shouldn't I "shoot down" an idea if that idea is flawed, or unrealistic, or just plain stupid? If we didn't point out why bad ideas were bad then the game really would be dead, and no amount of aliens could save it.

I don't think honesty is the same as arrogance. If someone comes to me with a bad idea in person, I'll tell them what I think. That is not the same as "walking into any room and shouting off your thoughts without a care in the world". Your analogy is massively inaccurate, not to mention rude. If you're so hung up on how new players view the playerbase, why do you then call me arrogant and vile-minded? Hypocrisy ahoy!

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
that quote was taken out of context.

This whole thread has been blown out of proportion tbh.

A simple post from Dimitar from toby's IRC quotes explaining the 'not properly thought out idea' (DA dont get annoyed ;)) of the Alien route has become people 'insulting' others...why?

DA - All what toby and Dimitar were trying to say/explain was SOME of the ideas have not been thought out as much as they should of been. Yes, the more suggesstions the better, but to be fair the suggestions have got to be thought out in order for them to be contructive.

Supporting what Dimitar has said about the new, not thought out suggestions grabbing attention from the sensible ones i totally agree with. If i was to make constant suggestions on how to improve the game, the more sensible ideas would slowly be forgotten about due to the constant add of other ideas? As i said before, the more suggestions the better. But there has to be some sort of way that route can be bought in the game.

With the 'Alien' route, toby pointed out that this route was silly. Then all the posts gathered about how it wasnt silly to suggest, mostly from DA, for him to come out and say it would take away the realism of the game?:? Contradiction much ;)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
that quote was taken out of context.

This whole thread has been blown out of proportion tbh.

A simple post from Dimitar from toby's IRC quotes explaining the 'not properly thought out idea' (DA dont get annoyed ;)) of the Alien route has become people 'insulting' others...why?

DA - All what toby and Dimitar were trying to say/explain was SOME of the ideas have not been thought out as much as they should of been. Yes, the more suggesstions the better, but to be fair the suggestions have got to be thought out in order for them to be contructive.

Supporting what Dimitar has said about the new, not thought out suggestions grabbing attention from the sensible ones i totally agree with. If i was to make constant suggestions on how to improve the game, the more sensible ideas would slowly be forgotten about due to the constant add of other ideas? As i said before, the more suggestions the better. But there has to be some sort of way that route can be bought in the game.

With the 'Alien' route, toby pointed out that this route was silly. Then all the posts gathered about how it wasnt silly to suggest, mostly from DA, for him to come out and say it would take away the realism of the game?:? Contradiction much ;)

Actually that IRC quote was about Elderveld's CRA idea, not the alien route.

Although I don't like the alien route either, I can see that it has had time put into it. I never said the alien route was silly. I just don't like the idea of any new routes right now.