Liverpool and Luis Suarez

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Quote: Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has apologised for not shaking Patrice Evra's hand before Saturday's game at Old Trafford. Suarez told Liverpool's website: "I have spoken with the Manager since the game at Old Trafford and I realise I got things wrong. I've not only let him down, but also the Club and what it stands for and I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened. I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions. I would like to put this whole issue behind me and concentrate on playing football."

If he had just said that after the first game none of this would've happened.

Elevnos

BANNED
Quote: Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has apologised for not shaking Patrice Evra's hand before Saturday's game at Old Trafford. Suarez told Liverpool's website: "I have spoken with the Manager since the game at Old Trafford and I realise I got things wrong. I've not only let him down, but also the Club and what it stands for and I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened. I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions. I would like to put this whole issue behind me and concentrate on playing football."

If he had just said that after the first game none of this would've happened.

If he actually thought he was being racist he would have said it after the first game...

Atlantis

Pruner

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
If he actually thought he was being racist he would have said it after the first game...

Whether he thinks he is racist is completely beside the point. If I went out and said "Hey little black man, what's up?" to the first black guy I found, what do you think would happen? Even if he was unaware of the possibility of any negative connotations to the word "negrito" (which I highly doubt. He isn't stupid.), after being enlightened to the contrary he should've come out and said "I apologise to Evra and to anybody else who may have been offended by what I said. I was unaware of the potential offence this could have caused and I promise not to do it again." instead of essentially calling Evra a liar and bringing about this whole farce.

And in any case, it stopped being about racism ages ago and became a feud between two clubs who have always hated each other, and he had plenty of chances to defuse the situation but ignored them to pursue his own petty agenda.

To Dimitar:
Being captain of a team automatically means you aren't a racist? How so? It is entirely possible to work with people and not like them.
Why would Liverpool make something up? Hmm...wouldn't be possible for them to be trying to get their best player out of a ban would it? No, that's just a wild conspiracy theory.
Calling someone negrito is not racist? Funny how quickly Liverpool fans have all become fluent in Latin slang in a couple of days...It is a word which you already defined as "little black man" or "black boy". That isn't racist? It's a word which describes someone based entirely on the colour of their skin. Calling someone honky is still racist, but white people are generally less sensitive to racism because we haven't been singled out, enslaved and discriminated against based on the colour of our skin for hundreds of years. Ridiculous, I know.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Toby, my point was that he's had plenty of experience playing with coloured people and has never had any problems before. And Liverpool's statementwas issued after they had accepted the ban so they didn't do it to try and get away from the ban. And yes, I can see why calling someone black might be considered racist, but I think that it should not. My point was just that Suarez, knowingly or not, racially abusing Evra doesn't make him a racist person.

I also think there's no need to keep discussing this as it won't change anything. I'm just glad Suarez finally decided to apologise (although he was probably forced to do it)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
There's no such thing as "accidental racism". Just because he's never had a publicized problem with race before doesn't make him automatically non racist. I don't know the fully story here but if you call someone a "negrito" it is most likely not a nice turn of phrase, and is probably deliberately intended to be a slur.

Just come out and apologize, even if you are racist, you have a responsibility to your fans, your club, and yourself to apologize for saying stupid ****. Especially when you're a role model to a large quantity of people.

Nickk

Harvester

Admittedly i am a United fan but even so, i can't believe why anyone would support someone like Suarez after this whole ordeal. Actions speak louder than words and Liverpool should be disgraced with everything they have done the past few weeks. The apology is too late and the damage has been done already.

Suarez is a great player, but shame he is a massive c***

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
He refused his handshake? o.0

Because Evra was the one in the wrong and everything...

The sad thing is that "King Kenny" will probably continue to defend him despite overwhelming, repetitive evidence that he is a slimy little *****. Managers will do anything to keep hold of their best players.

Liverpool have turned this whole thing from a faux pas to a massive PR disaster.

Kenny Dalglish has time and again been shown to be an odious man.

That said, Evra and Suarez are behaving like school children and the fallout was fairly predictable and tiresome.

All in all the debacle detracted from just how poor Liverpool were. United should have been 4 or 5 up before Suarez scored.