Thinking of playing - Don't (Chronicles of a RageQuiter)

Coruba

Head Gardener
Hello

Many of you will have no idea who I am or what names I have even played under but considering the massacre by TBA I have had today and our alliance it is persuaded me to quit this game.

I started midway through the round before the server crashed so that's around 4-5 rounds. I did best part of two to three rounds solo trying various routes before finally plucking up courage to join an alliance the first of which was Luckysports beginners one which I left due to the arrogance of a player called Imsomn.

I then joined Discworld which was a complete and utter joke when the leader knew nothing about leading a group of players. I did however stay all round but eventually got nailed by "You can bite my colossal metal ass" who basically headhunter me the entire round.

The next round I joined the ill-fated Kracken which I see got the worst led alliance which in many ways was quite untrue and was explained by Magpie in a post on the recruiting pages which obviously no-one read that posted on the end of round awards. That alliance disbanded and became The Black Hole with the remaining kracken members. This really was the first time in around 6-7 rounds that I got to know any of the players here.

Now I am in Event Horizon.

The reason I am quitting and call this sour grapes I don't mind is that this game is vicious. If you do not have 24 hour activity and/or contactability you may as well not play as this is what it requires. And when you do get into top 100 you get gang banged by everyone player in top 50 as is what has happened today to EH. Congratulations TBA you have won the round. Lets all wait around till the next start day again.

Will I be missed, I doubt it, not by many players anyway bar the few from EH that were in Kracken. The biggest loss will be felt by Azzer, he loses the amount of money I spent in here each run which would total the best part of $100-$150 GBP.

I feel that this game will die unless there is a rule change or a change in attitude by all the players as I am sure I won't be the last who will leave due to my reason above. I am also sure the game won't survive without players like me paying for the server.

For my passing shot and as a suggestion to Azzer re keeping players I suggest a limit on how many players from one alliance can attack another alliance at the same time. You may scoff at this but ask yourself how many players would a "normal" alliance have on at any one time......I am guessing at maximum around 8 players so why should the top alliance with all the most active and contactable players be allowed to hit a lower alliance with probably 15-20 players when the lower alliance only has 8 on?

Anyways thanks to Maxsim, Mykool, Rhys Magpie, James and lastly the great Kurosaki for befriending me on this game. Your friendship probably made me stay longer then I would have.

Cheers

Coruba (Capt Jack Harkness)

Last edited by a moderator:

Max

Garden Designer
Sad times, Coruba, you were a terrific player and incredibly motivated.

Like you mentioned, you were a victim of being uncontactable, like myself, which renders us both incapable of FTW alliance play, alas!

Good luck in the bridge tournaments and stay in touch dude. You were a great friend.

Max

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Hello

Many of you will have no idea who I am or what names I have even played under but considering the massacre by TBA I have had today and our alliance it is persuaded me to quit this game.

The reason I am quitting and call this sour grapes I don't mind is that this game is vicious. If you do not have 24 hour activity and/or contactability you may as well not play as this is what it requires. And when you do get into top 100 you get gang banged by everyone player in top 50 as is what has happened today to EH. Congratulations TBA you have won the round. Lets all wait around till the next start day again.

Only one alliance can win. This means the other alliances must lose and if you feel that's unfair and can't deal with it quitting is really the best thing you can do. You do not need huge activity or contactability either. At the risk of me being kick-raped or just rushed all round long I'll say that I'm never contactable and I'm barely top 100 in activity, yet I manage to stay in top 10. I really hate it when people just blame everything on the activity and contactability and not their lack of skill/competence/determination.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be spiteful here, but the title suggests people shouldn't bother with the game because it's unfair or some crap. Sure, that was the case when TBA won with 3 alliances playing together, but now TBA seems to have won with 3 alliances working against it. They attacked and they beat EH. Fair play to them, but as I said, only one alliance can end up winning. So please get over it, because there was no bashing.
Last thing I want to say is that my post should not be misinterpreted as gloating, because I've barely participated in any alliance attacks and I don't feel like I'm even remotely responsible for EH's downfall.

Anyway, goodbye Coruba. Wish you all the luck in real life and I hope you come to your senses

Yang

Harvester
Hello

Only one alliance can win. This means the other alliances must lose and if you feel that's unfair and can't deal with it quitting is really the best thing you can do. You do not need huge activity or contactability either. At the risk of me being kick-raped or just rushed all round long I'll say that I'm never contactable and I'm barely top 100 in activity, yet I manage to stay in top 10. I really hate it when people just blame everything on the activity and contactability and not their lack of skill/competence/determination.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be spiteful here, but the title suggests people shouldn't bother with the game because it's unfair or some crap. Sure, that was the case when TBA won with 3 alliances playing together, but now TBA seems to have won with 3 alliances working against it. They attacked and they beat EH. Fair play to them, but as I said, only one alliance can end up winning. So please get over it, because there was no bashing.
Last thing I want to say is that my post should not be misinterpreted as gloating, because I've barely participated in any alliance attacks and I don't feel like I'm even remotely responsible for EH's downfall.

Anyway, goodbye Coruba. Wish you all the luck in real life and I hope you come to your senses

I have nothing against bashing, its part of the game, but come on... its not the politics thread, noones going to be judging you for admitting to bashing when you guys did bash ;p

Lets try not to turn this into ingame politics discussion/debating about in game "ethics" and keep it as a goodbye thread :D

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
In their defense, it was 3V1 and they came out on top, fair play to them! You can call it bashing, but I saw its a good group of players that played their early unit advantage to its fullest and used dedication, activity, and player skill/experience the way its SUPPOSED to be used :p

Coruba - I do vaguely remember you.. And insomn isn't as bad as you seem to think he is :p as someone that has played with him many rounds now, he is actually quite pleasant to be around.. (don't tell him I said that though!)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
For my passing shot and as a suggestion to Azzer re keeping players I suggest a limit on how many players from one alliance can attack another alliance at the same time. You may scoff at this but ask yourself how many players would a "normal" alliance have on at any one time......I am guessing at maximum around 8 players so why should the top alliance with all the most active and contactable players be allowed to hit a lower alliance with probably 15-20 players when the lower alliance only has 8 on?

Cheers

Coruba (Capt Jack Harkness)

I do hope you're joking? You seem to have a very short memory Captain Jack. It was not a few days ago that your alliance, along with Charades and Mo Dakka, massed the hell out of TBA over 3-4 consecutive days.

TBA massed Event Horizon last night and your defence was woefully poor. You had incoming from one alliance, TBA. But a few days earlier, TBA, with a lead at rank 1 (but not a massive lead by any means, things were still fairly close around the top) had incoming from 3 alliances, from 50-60 people. That, my friend, is vicious. We dealt with it and won, but it was vicious none-the-less.

The attack on EH last night, by TBA, was our first mass attack on another alliance but Charades since the round began. We have left you alone completely and dealt with your incoming with excellently executed defence and dealt you massive blows against overwhelming inc from 3 alliances not drastically smaller than our own.

I'm in TBA, I'm biased here, but TBA are not the "big bad monster" you're making out. We've got to rank 1 and have stayed there without spies, without questionable tactics, without the help of any other alliance. One alliance massing another is not "vicious", it is the bread and butter of this game as a war game.

I sympathise with your frustrations regarding your for the win gamestyle but your unwillingness to be contactable, but that is one of the flaws of this game - Contact-ability is king. It shouldn't play such a big part in deciding rounds but it does, and there's no way of preventing its impact on gameplay.

-

Thread moved to Gripes

Last edited:

Steve_God

Official Helper
Just to add onto what the others from TBA have said, while it may have appeared a 'bashing' from the defenders point of view, it was simply 2 waves of organised attacks, followed by a further wave of random land grabs for those still awake in the early hours of this morning (or late at night depending on their timezone).

Unfortunately the game does require a level of contactability to be in the running for the top, but... just because you've had 3 waves of incoming from the Rank 1 alliance, shouldn't put you off, it should be used as a motivator to rebuild, and try and get your own back either with bounty rushes, trying to catch people offline, and generally causing mischief for those alliances above you :)

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I only posted that because of the title. "Thinking of playing - Don't" - that suggests that he quit because he feels he got screwed by game mechanics or a retarded playerbase, while neither of those things happened. I don't want potential new players to go "oh f*ck this, that dude quit because this game is ****", when in truth he quits because he can't handle not winning with putting in 0 effort

Max

Garden Designer
As leader of E.H. I can do nothing but congratulate TBA, since they not only fought off every resistance effort for days but also rushed and waved their way to crush both the Charades and Event Horizon defences every time. Well fought.

People need to remember the inexperience of many of the Event Horizon players, I wanted to give them the opportunity to enjoy a FTW round start, and sadly not all of them have the same activity / contactability / stamina that the FTW game requires.

Coruba has put in a lot of time and effort and is normally quite capable of taking a beating to be honest. This thread is uncharacteristic of his temperament and is just as much a surprise to us as it is to a lot of others :)

E.H. shall enjoy the battling to come and will attempt to make as much mischief as possible until everyone is as brave as Dimitar and rejects contactability altogether :D

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Great post Max.

Indeed EH deserve applause for getting so quickly involved in the resistance, as do Char/Mo D. Its rare they spring up so fast and with so many numbers, which I think is great tbh.

I hope we've more to see from the resistance, I don't count them out just yet.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
I have no sympathy for you and disagree with everything you said. The "Resistance" was nothing more than a mass bash of alliances that were barely behind us at all and used the name as an excuse.

However, sucks that someone else quits. Bye

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Btw, entirely unrelated.
In R16 there was an alliance called TGA (The Grownup alliance).
Does that mean this "TBA" you speak up is "The Baby Alliance"?

timtadams

Landscape Designer
another rage quit lol

a more appropirate title would be "thinking of playing ftw and dont have the time or dedication - dont"

there is such a thing as ftf (for the fun)
whereby you pretty much do what you want, when you want

and since you arent playing ftw, it doesnt matter if you die. I enjoy the cylce when i get into it: Attack low players with no defence. get a bigger army, attack and kill some ****, get zeroed, repeat

killing ****/stealing land is the best bit. Getting zeroed is the next best bit as it just makes the best bit easier (due to being in lower ranks where everything is more relaxed)

And then theres the whole stay on a losing battle. Instead of waiting to get zeroed, do it yourself! Get a mad army and attack someone 60-70%. They get defence from like 2-3 other players. Then you stay just because you know can deal some decent damage.

Ive done that a few times (although not always deliberately :p). Its good fun

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
I have no sympathy for you and disagree with everything you said. The "Resistance" was nothing more than a mass bash of alliances that were barely behind us at all and used the name as an excuse.

However, sucks that someone else quits. Bye

oi! quit trolling this thread.. The responses were all in a positive light.. No need to go around and try to make everyone pissy..

Congrats on winning, you fought well enough (i know nothing of any of the battles from either side.. or the planning, so I cannot say much beyond that..) Just take that, be happy.. and let the rest of us try to enjoy the round and attempt to convince someone to stay.

Coruba - you should stick around, play the game a bit more and ignore the top alliance.. You'll enjoy things so much more.. :) Personally - I like to go around and kill off random people/bots just for a Battle.. Perhaps you could aim for an award of some sort? There's more to the game than sitting in the rank 1 alliance for 2 months without any targets.

If you remember from BT, I always told everyone - the thing you will learn while here, is how to rebuild, cause I can't always save you troops, but I can usually save your land. Time to rebuild.. Do you remember your lessons?

Ram

Head Gardener
Look at it this way, You're out of range now so you will have some peace and will be able to get some good br's fighting for rank 2.