Racism v. Nationality

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
So recently alot of people have been yelling racism over every little thing. So I thought I'd again take a moment to Poll public opinion so that we mods can get a better feel for how/when we should be moderating posts.

My view is currently this:
Race is more about genetic makeup than where you live. For example, Latinos, Jews, Anglo Saxon,

Nationality is different in the fact that a person can have a different genetic makeup than what is common for their area. For example , Alci is Canadian, He's White, probably of European Descendence. Therefore calling him Canadian is not racist, it's rather a comment on his nationality.

Do you as the playerbase feel this is wrong? Take into consideration how many stupid American/Stuck up Brit/criminal aussie/intelligent cat eating asian comments we make around here.

Discuss, converse, just don't make it personal please :)

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
You're right.

And people tend to use the word "racist" when they actually mean "xenophobic" as they're morons.

PS. I hate Canadians.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
You're right.

And people tend to use the word "racist" when they actually mean "xenophobic" as they're morons.

maxi and i had this discussion not 30 minutes ago. And i realized I was using racism incorrectly; although it was as an extrapolation of extreme xenophobia. Xenophobia can lead to racial prejudices and discrimination imo; but the two are not interchangeable.

rac·ism Listen to the pronunciation of racism
Pronunciation:
\ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
Function:
noun
Date:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I'm not sure the playerbase can police itself. Thereby not really able to lay down rules for itself.

My opinion is that the admin should already have clearly established rules for this and after however many years... this shouldn't be a new topic and it shouldn't be upon the playerbase to draw lines.

Fully Agreed.

PS: Polo is a filthy, libeling brit who really loves Canadians deep down.

Last edited:

Garrett

Landscape Designer
I'm not sure the playerbase can police itself. Thereby not really able to lay down rules for itself.

My opinion is that the admin should already have clearly established rules for this and after however many years... this shouldn't be a new topic and it shouldn't be upon the playerbase to draw lines.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
Discrimination and intolerance are much the same whether directed at race or at nationality, however you draw the line between the two.

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

:eating: <-----this is garrett eating away at my soul.

Scorpio

Head Gardener
Well I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't knew the difference so..

You're right.

rac⋅ism   [rey-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

xen⋅o⋅pho⋅bi⋅a   [zen-uh-foh-bee-uh, zee-nuh-]
–noun
an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

I still don't see the difference, tbh :p

More on topic:

I think most people here have enough decency to know where to draw the line. Most remarks about other countries are just jokes and appreciated.
The jokes that us Belgians throw at the Dutchies and vica versa are just jokes.

There is a difference between jokes and plain insults though ...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
the difference is that racism is active discrimination; whereas xenophobia isn't usually active. It's a 'thought crime' if you will. When you act upon those thoughts, that's racism imo.

Last edited:

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Racism is against a race.

Xenophobia is against a nationality.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Latins, Jews, Niggas, Asians... I don't discriminate... I hate them all equally :)

Actually, when I think on it again, I prefer latinas to cockasians or ebonies. I guess it is a matter of personal taste though :p

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

Xenophobia is fear of foreigners. Literally. And that is what it means. Nationality, race ... No difference. Foreigners, in both senses I think. Nationality and race.
The difference between racism and xenophobia, in my book, is as alcibiades said: active discrimination. You have a fear (Don't think hate applies to xenophobia), but that doesn't mean you do something with it. But racism would require activity. You would actually start acting on your xenophobia.

Something I think every human has. I have debated this with Jorizzz a few years back, he didn't agree. I think the human fear of change can be extended to a natural xenophobia.
This does not mean that I think we should give into it. We are civilised. It's natural to want to have sex with as many women as possible, yet we shouldn't give into it, and stay monogamous. Same applies here imho.
What are your (plural, not just polo :p) views on this statement?

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

Xenophobia is fear of foreigners. Literally. And that is what it means. Nationality, race ... No difference. Foreigners, in both senses I think. Nationality and race.

How can you say nationality and race are no different? They're nothing the same. And that's what I meant in my original post: if I said "Canadians suck", people tend to say that's racist, when in actual fact, it's xenophobic.

Scorpio

Head Gardener

How can you say nationality and race are no different? They're nothing the same. And that's what I meant in my original post: if I said "Canadians suck", people tend to say that's racist, when in actual fact, it's xenophobic.

According to this definition, a foreigner can be someone from another race or someone from another nation ...

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

I didn't say they're the same, I said they're treated with no difference for xenophobia. Xenophobia is, as I said, literally "fear of foreign(ers)". And I argue that in the way xenophobia is used, it defines foreign as both foreign in nationality as in race.

Racism on the other hand is quite clearly purely on race, so it is a certain form of xenophobia, but a step further (active). That is how I interpret it. But obviously people interpret both in different ways.

Forwyn

Pruner
The lines are too blurry to make the two very different, in my opinion.

Xenophobia - a fear of foreigners. What about the redneck scared of a Muslim American? Defined as a foreigner by the first, but the issue comes down to race.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
The lines are too blurry to make the two very different, in my opinion.

Xenophobia - a fear of foreigners. What about the redneck scared of a Muslim American? Defined as a foreigner by the first, but the issue comes down to race.

Agreed here. It is blurry.

But xenophobia is a fear of strangers/foreigners. Racism is treating races to your own differently.
If i were xenophobic i would be afraid. But if i am racist i am not necessarily afraid of other races.

So i can be both, but i can be just one or the other as well.

For example i may be scared of an American Muslim, so i am xenophobic.
But look at the how white settlers treated indigenous peoples. Just like Aussies. They were not scared of the Aboriginals, but they treated them differently. This is racism without xenophobia.