Free (legal) Music!

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Bear with me here.

I recently came across the site Jamendo while investigating the source of a track from AudioSurf's radio and have to say, it's fantastic!
The basic premise of the site is that it's a huge collection of entirely 'free' (and legal) music, distributable under Creative Commons licenses. It's awesome.

To give you an example of some of the variety on the site, check out the following based on your tastes/experimentalism!
  • ROUZINE ZELENSKY Roman - fantastic neoclassical metalish. Guitar solos, double bass-peddling followed by complete chillout sections.
  • DOTDRILL - minimalist electronica.
  • Steven Dunston - pop/r'n'b. Smooth male vocals.
  • Drunksouls - funk/reggae/rock. Complete range of genres: "The aim of the music of Drunk Souls is to make you dance, to make you think, and to reconcile all the musical tribes"
  • Abscondo - folk/rock. Acoustic guitars are always nice.
  • JT Bruce - experimental postrock metal. (very good!)
  • -mystery- - trance/techno/acid.
The site contains a huge number of artists from all around the world who produce music because they love producing music. They're not in it for the money (at least not yet). All tracks/albums/artists are tagged making them easier to browse through, and although every track is free, you always have the option of giving a small donation to the artist.

Anyway, check it out and post some of the better artists you find! Would be cool to see who likes what!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
the only thing i didn't like about this system weeble was the UI. I found it quite messy, and frustratingly spammy to use. About 2.5 hours after i noticed the link i let it die a horrible death.

pandora.com is a good alternative for americans, but isn't licensed outside of America. I find Last.fm a far superior system. Anywho, all a bunch of fuss for nothing since i just download my music anyways. Simpler, faster, easier, and illegal. What's not to like?