• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Development page redesign

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
As it stands now, the development page is a rather clumsy affair. Players can click on and start developments without fully knowing what they do, lock or unlock unless they spend time reading the manual. There are also only two categories - Research and Construct - which only make limited sense. I propose a slight change to the development page which will make it slightly more user-friendly.

First, two super categories need to be implemented, Route-specific and Generic. Within these two categories, additional Research and Construct sections could be present (or eliminated altogether if still cluttered), listing specific research or construct developments.
Within the Generic category, all researches which are available to anyone should be placed - Engineering, Intelligence options, Geo-Phys, Tractors, Combines, etc.
Conversely, every route-specific development would be placed under the Route-specific category.

This will clear up a lot of confusion about what dev. does what.

Furthermore, if a player has not started a route development yet, the first options present would be re-labelled as "Military Route", "Spec-Ops Route", so on and so forth. These would then drop down to reveal the specific details about that first route development, with a clear message that you can only pick one route. Once that route has been chosen, the rest of that route's development options are shown in it's place.

I've just realised that explanation may be a bit convoluted, so I've attached a picture instead.
Apologies for picture quality etc. A lot could be done to tidy it up, but you get the general idea..

Attachments

• bushdev.jpg
    bushdev.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0

Nitrous

Head Gardener
I only looked at the pic, didnt bother reading what you wrote. But I can say I agree with your idea. The Manual is sorted into that format whereby you have "X Route" and "Generic Techs". So it would make sense for the development page to be sorted in that way too....be more user friendly or newbi friendly :D

Thumbs up for this idea.:)

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
I suggested something similar in the past, i think at creator's hour :p

Not bad picture, tho i think it would look better once you click on "military route" to see all the units and stats similar to the tech tree in manual so you have a good view of the entire route. Give different colors for researches done and availeble, add a warning once you start a route that you can't pick anything else from other routes and leave all techs visible from all routes :p

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like the idea.

How objectionable would people be to the eradication of constructions and researches, and just classifying everything as "research" - this would mean the inability to do two things at the same time (which isn't all that often it has to be said), but would certainly help simplify the page for people further?

Max

Garden Designer
I like the idea.

How objectionable would people be to the eradication of constructions and researches, and just classifying everything as "research" - this would mean the inability to do two things at the same time (which isn't all that often it has to be said), but would certainly help simplify the page for people further?

This is a marvellous idea and could add a new tactical dimension to the round start. I also think it would seriously simplify matters.

Changer

Head Gardener
Might need some shuffling around of ETAs for some developments for balancing purposes? But other than that its a fair idea

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Hmm...I think I disagree on getting rid of constructions. I think being able to do two developments at the same time has more scope for tactics than just being able to do one.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Hmm...I think I disagree on getting rid of constructions. I think being able to do two developments at the same time has more scope for tactics than just being able to do one.

I agree :)
There are routes that can rush for intel and still develop their tech or other that can run at one point a research and construction in the same time like bikers and terrors. Just scraping the entire system for tidiness might not be balanced.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
as a knee jerk reaction i also side with toby and ds... i like that i'm able to get some intel on and some tech on at the same time...

however, ds you mention tactics... going to just 1 research with everything being research... in an alliance setting you will need to decide who truly rushes intel and who rushes their devs.

coin toss for me. i know that i will be annoyed in alot of ways about only being able to do 1 at a time. but it's only certain things i can stack anyway...

as a solo i'd probably be annoyed, but meh. flip a coin. i'm 50/50 on this so far.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Hm, first I thought the same way DS and tobi did, but then after reading Garrett's post, I must say I am 50/50 as well.

I could also see this being quite a pain in the ass for solos, but they have enough advantages already as it is.