• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Sleep Mode Changes {Lock Please}

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
For a long time, sleep mode hasn't really been used for it's intended purpose. For quite a few rounds now, it's served as a replacement for timezone variety in alliance player setups, an easy nights sleep for solos, and other varying dubious reasons.
My intention is not to remove it, but to change it's function, and introduce a new mode exclusively for solo players.
First off the bat, sleep mode is only usable for 72hrs and above increments. This preserves it's intended use for those going on holiday, and those taking a break, etc. This will remain a universal tool for either allied or solo players.
Second of all, to introduce a new mode for solo players only. This will be similar in ways to sleep mode, except for a few fundamental differences:

- It can be provided in 4/8/12/18/24/48hr periods, to suit varying circumstances, and is invisible to any player but your NAPs. The time for it to activate is four ticks, but this is added to the time you select for the mode to be in effect for, rather than being a part of it. Like sleep mode, you cannot interact with your account in any fashion during this time that the mode is activated.

- You are no longer unattackable whilst in this mode. However, your troops gain an injury rate of 90%, which returns within 6 ticks. When I mention injury, I mean every single one of your troops (except bribes), will be returned at 90% when killed. Insurance rates of 15% are given for your bribed staff. Players attacking you will gain normal bounty rates, land grab rates, and battles will take place as normal. Attackers can recall at any time, just like you can when you attack somebody entering sleep mode.

- Seed gathering is reduced to 50-60%. I haven't decided on a definite number for this just yet.

- AR will be provided as usual, but the rate of increase is reduced by 30-35%. Again, I haven't decided a definite number for this either, but AR drops at the normal rate.

- NAP defence I haven't thought through fully just yet. I'd appreciate feedback on this, as to whether it should be disabled or not.

- I would suggest this idea is implemented alongside my insurance idea, though it could be implemented with some minor fixes for the current 20% insurance rate.

Like my insurance idea, feedback and ideas to add are much appreciated. Please know that this isn't to sway balance in favour nor fervour of solo play. It is merely to stop sleep mode being used as a temporary barrier whilst you sleep, which is a very unfair for a playerbase that is dwindling.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Not really fair. Someone attacking you gets a 1:1 BR and you get 90% of your stuff back and they get 25%? :p

Also low AR gain would lead to killing someone multiple times while they slept for loads of bounty.

I like it the way it is tbh. You get basically no income, but you keep your **** alive.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Not really fair. Someone attacking you gets a 1:1 BR and you get 90% of your stuff back and they get 25%? :p

Also low AR gain would lead to killing someone multiple times while they slept for loads of bounty.

I like it the way it is tbh. You get basically no income, but you keep your **** alive.

It's not low, it's just lowered. The idea of this is to stop people becoming totally unattackable, and 10% is a small price to pay for being able to sleep knowing you won't be totally destroyed over and over. Remember that AR is still active during this time, and that repeat attacking doesn't earn any bounty.
You can't have something that can grant benefits of that sort without disadvantages bud, and that's unfair.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer

It's not low, it's just lowered. The idea of this is to stop people becoming totally unattackable, and 10% is a small price to pay for being able to sleep knowing you won't be totally destroyed over and over. Remember that AR is still active during this time, and that repeat attacking doesn't earn any bounty.
You can't have something that can grant benefits of that sort without disadvantages bud, and that's unfair.

If it's not low then it's just unfair losing only 10% of your troops and getting a ton of AR. Repeat attacks do gain bounty, you have 3 free ticks, meaning you could stay for 2 once and 1 another time. And that doesn't change the fact that it's unfair someone only loses 10% of their troop losses while someone loses 80%.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer

If it's not low then it's just unfair losing only 10% of your troops and getting a ton of AR. Repeat attacks do gain bounty, you have 3 free ticks, meaning you could stay for 2 once and 1 another time. And that doesn't change the fact that it's unfair someone only loses 10% of their troop losses while someone loses 80%.

It's alot more fair than losing 0% whilst some people can lose 80%. But like I said, I would of preferred this was implemented alongside my insurance idea.
Remember that with that, repeat attacking loses masses of bounty potential. The idea is to merely stop people hiding behind a tool that makes you invincible while you are asleep, which isn't fair to players in high-up alliances who agree to contactability to keep alive/keep others alive.
Also note, I haven't decided on NAP defence being allowed or not. You didn't give feedback on that, nor any real positive feedback on any other areas of the idea either.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
i agree with ias, current sleepmode is fine/superior. if allied in an alliance that your trying to help and you get incoming 333% of you and allies are 20-30% of you, you have no forseable way to defend. and so sleep would be a good choice whilst helping your alliance rebuild. as apose to jumping ship because your scared want to SQ and cannot sleepmode when offline. (lowbie alliances arent known for contacting peeps even if you give a number. it relies on some one being onand willing to text/prank)

had another point, read injuries as insurance. hmm it may work i guess. but would have to bew very well balanced. and even then with reduced ar it could be easier to train someones land after killing them.

i would not like this as a replacement form of sleep mode only as an alternative

Stegosaurus

Pruner
This feels more like a quick-fix to the problem than a long term solution.

Part of the excitement (for me anyway), is the high stakes in the game when playing ftw. I need to be alert 24/7, or risk severely hurting my capabilities to defend/attack. That's just part of the game for me, not sitting at my computer 20 hours a day refreshing as some people seem to believe is needed, but being able to get on at those vital few ticks. Sleep mode is there for when I really can't dedicate that effort to it, it essentially pauses my account - I no longer gain a significant income; but I won't lose my troops/land either.

Your suggestion would completely remove this dynamic for a solo. They hit this pseudo-sleep button every night before bed, and send away during the day (assuming incoming they can't defend). You now have unkillable solos - sure they lose land; but land is mostly easy to come by anyway. Since this mode would be invisible to outsiders, any attempt to kill these solos will result in you sustaining losses, with them receiving 90% of their troops back. At least posting phone numbers is susceptible to human error.

If a player wants to shed the vulnerability of dying for x hours a day, they can also shed the income for x hours a day. Sleep mode is fine as it is

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
This feels more like a quick-fix to the problem than a long term solution.

Of course it's a quick fix; Your thinking works in terms of a large playerbase. But this isn't anymore. There are a maximum of around 300 active players left. When there was >1000 sleep mode in that sense was perfectly agreeable, but now it isn't. It limits far too much.
My idea is a quick fix in the hope that the playerbase grows. Growth can only be sustained by change - Something this game hasn't done enough of recently. We need more people enjoying this game, rather than easily winning it. Hence I posted this idea and my insurance idea at similar times.
People that are new need to see what fun can be had when you have battle reports, and not shitty mass one tick attacks. There was a time when that existed, and nowadays it does not.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Lol! Great minds think alike, and all that.
I never remember reading that personally. I was running the idea past Caranthir and Webvictim, as it goes. :p

Zaheen

BANNED
At least posting phone numbers is susceptible to human error.

So if injuries take 6 ticks to return, in theory if said person hit sleep mode and was attacked, completely wiped...they could actually lose 6 sets of land with it, quite easily? But by the time people realise they're in sleep mode it'll be too late, as all their troops have appeared and they have been given more AR Mod.

Dax said:
The time for it to activate is four ticks, but this is added to the time you select for the mode to be in effect for, rather than being a part of it. Like sleep mode, you cannot interact with your account in any fashion during this time that the mode is activated.
So say I attack a solo player ETA 5-7, they could sit there and wait for me to hit ETA 4 to hit this sleep mode, and barely lose anything...they would gain a lot of AR and wouldn't be able to get hit after that...what about players like DarkSider, who don't even play with any land? Would they even care about land loss?

Looks like it could be abused really badly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
At least posting phone numbers is susceptible to human error.

So if injuries take 6 ticks to return, in theory if said person hit sleep mode and was attacked, completely wiped...they could actually lose 6 sets of land with it, quite easily? But by the time people realise they're in sleep mode it'll be too late, as all their troops have appeared and they have been given more AR Mod.

Dax said:
The time for it to activate is four ticks, but this is added to the time you select for the mode to be in effect for, rather than being a part of it. Like sleep mode, you cannot interact with your account in any fashion during this time that the mode is activated.
So say I attack a solo player ETA 5-7, they could sit there and wait for me to hit ETA 4 to hit this sleep mode, and barely lose anything...they would gain a lot of AR and wouldn't be able to get hit after that...what about players like DarkSider, who don't even play with any land? Would they even care about land loss?

Looks like it could be abused really badly.

It can't be done anyway, regardless of opinion. But as it goes, I believe sleep mode isn't used for it's purpose nowadays anyway. Anything can be abused, but there is no serious pros to using this. You still lose 10%, and the other person still gets bounty and land. On top of the fact you risk losing more land from sequential attacks after the initial BR.
There has to be risks when you decide you would rather use a game mechanic to take care of your ID, over your NAPs. Just an observation.