Anno 1404

marvin

Tree Surgeon
Got 'Anno: Create A New World' for my DSi as my laptop couldn't even handle the demo! (Might get it anyway :p). Shall let you know how it is after I've played a bit of it.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Loving the campaign, good stuff :)

Amazed this didn't get more publicity in the UK, I think its a great game. As good if not better than most of the RTS games I've encountered.

Only thing that miffs me a bit in the campaign is that each chapter you build/expand your base, only to find in the next chapter its drastically changed ='(

Though I suppose the continuous mode is more for that :p

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Ok I got stuck on the campaign (At the cathedral building bit) and started the continuous game, but I'm struggling massively.

I'm only on "medium" mode yet the AIs get miles ahead of me. Money is the biggest problem, I just can't seem to offset my building costs with taxes (Mainly because income from taxes is so crap!)

I also find it quite difficult to produce enough goods for my own population, what I'm left to sell doesn't seem to cover the cost of the buildings :/

Its also a bit irritating that things can fall to pieces after playing for ages, you feel like you want to start over but I don't wanna end up in the same place :'(

Suggestions anyone?

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
have multiple citys on multiple islands
build as many houses as you can supply with food/drinks
only let houses upgrade when you want to (it costs lots of stock)
if somethings wrong with your economy then start checking your basic needs and go up from there.
get good relationships with your fellow players (buy them the gifts with your honourpoints)
occupy as many islands as you can to protect the supplys you need in the future.
reserve space for important buildings in your city so you dont have to demolish houses.

and most important for you DA

go easy mode :D:D:D:D

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I've now gone easy mode. I can confirm its much easier.

Thanks for the advice :)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I do not recommend building multiple cities per island. With the exception of the muslim islands

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
Got this today, first impressions are good. Some nice graphics, the game play seems simple to grasp so should be fun!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
woop woop, gg MattM :D

I'm very likely going to get the Venice expansion pack, which features multiplayer.

Only thing about multiplayer, though, is that I can see games taking really, really long periods of time. The game is massively time consuming, things take a good while to do.

I think multiplayer would have to rely on save games - I.e you play for a few hours, save - then pick up another time.

I could well be wrong, the multiplayer mode might be nerfed to speed up gameplay - But when you consider it can take a good 3-4 hours to get your economy up and going, then hours on top of that to develop a military, you can't really have a "quick game" one evening.

Also:

I'm putting a warning out - This game is HORRIBLY addictive. As I've said above, things take a long time to do because of the sheer scale of the game. Thankfully theres a reminder every hour or so telling you how long you've been playing. I lold the first time "You've been playing for 3 hours now, why not go get some fresh air"

-

Graphics wise, this game is *gorgeous* - I have an ATI radeon HD 4850, which plays it on "high" settings - and very nicely - But a peek at the advanced graphics setting shows the default settings for my card is nowhere near "Full" quality, sadly :p

Last edited:

cb1202

Head Gardener
My laptop has been out of commission for a week and I have been "jonesin" for some Anno. highly addictive game :D

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Hmm - I've been finding war quite difficult in continuous mode. I have by far the biggest navy (Large War ships) but everytime you declare war an armada of small warships attacks your trade routes - meaning all your trading ships die and your income falls like a brick.

Dunno how to combat that other than having massive amounts of gold. Or an even bigger navy, with 1/2 warships guarding all your most important trading ships.

cb1202

Head Gardener
I get my gold from building lots and lots of houses. The trading is just extra for me.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I do not recommend building multiple cities per island. With the exception of the muslim islands

I haven't found this to be an issue; though I would say that I find it is better to not have housing at all on many islands and just to have those islands as supplies for your main islands. You just need to guard those trading fleets pretty fiercely (or pay off the Corsairs).

This game is staggeringly addictive. I've completed the campaign and been playing on medium continuous mode for a fair while now, and although I'm the strongest economically, there's no real end in sight. As DA mentions, the prospect of war is quite concerning. It's going to ruin your economy either way...

On an economy note, trading is just incredible- I'm sitting on a -1k income from my population (really have expanded to a fair few islands now) but the trade from surplus goods ticks me over into the black consistently. Once you have a surplus, tools are great to sell; they fetch a really good price and are simple to make more of once you have the basic infrastructure. Mass cider isn't a bad alternative either.